AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which would you buy today ----Sharp 9000 or JVC G15?

This is what I understand thus far.

JVC is closer to CRT than any digital projector (ie more film like image.)

Sharp image now approaches the JVC image quality, is sharper, excellent black levels (relative) and is easier to use. About 5 months ago I was leaning toward the JVC, but given today's current 16:9 dlps, I am now leaning toward the Sharp. Any thoughts by those who have seen both?

Thanks

Jeff

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Cain,

I wish I could go look at both of them, this is exactly what I would do. Unfortunately, I live in Spokane, WA, (where, the highest end dealer uses the Sony 10HT for front projection devices) and the nearest dealers are in Seattle, approximately 325 miles away,,, my wife and I have just recently had a newborn, thus I do not plan on any road trips in the near future. Thus,,, looking for feedback at this forum, because I have found this site to provide best, most informed online inputs.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
24,995 Posts
I've seen both relatively recently.

The comparison is a bit skewed. The JVC was Dean McManis' calibrated G15 on a Grayhawk with ISCO I lens on a 13' wide screen. The Sharp was stock on an 8' wide screen.

On the same size smaller screen, I'd guess the perceived resolution comparable, the JVC will be quite a bit brighter, I'd guess comparable blacks, and truer, richer colors, but not hugely so.

The Sharp is plug-and-play and quiet, which the JVC is not, and significantly less expensive to buy and keep in bulbs.

Seems like a no-brainer for the Sharp, especially given all the extra time you have with a new-born.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a G-15. I have not seen the Sharp(only digital pictures of images from the Sharp). I would guess that if you are not going to get an ISCO or a Panamorph that the Sharp would be slightly better. If you are using the 16X9 mode of the G-15 I thought it would have the same pixel density as the Sharp, but you still have the digital halo at the top and bottom from the unused portion of the 3X4 chips. The Sharp would be quieter and more user friendly since it was intended as a HT product not a presentatiion pj for boardroom presentations. I don't know if you would have the additional expense of professional calibration for the Sharp, but it is a necessity for the G-15 if you don't have an HTPC and do it yourself. I don't know but I have to assume it is true that when you add a Panamorph or ISCO lens to the G-15 that it would have to have a better image on the screen than the Sharp since since there would be a 30 percent increase in brightness and resolution due to using all of the pixels on the D-ILA chip. I am anxiously awaiting the arrival of the Panamorph, and I guess I will find out. At least I hope that will be true. I guess the ultimate projector for me would be a D-ILA with a 16X9 chip.

Larry

·
Registered
634 Posts
See my reply to b-man's DILA post.

I've seen the Sharp twice, at CES and CEDIA. For pure picture quality, the G15/20 with anamorphic lens wins easily (more pixels and brightness). The Sharp is a LOT less money (initial plus bulbs).

------------------

Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.