AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hi all,

I'm trying to figure out which of the following set ups would prove to be the best quality purchase. I want a video recorder that shoots the best video possible within my budget of $300 AUD. I have narrowed it down to the following items. One is camcorder, one is compact and one is action cam. I want to film holidays, childrens parties, family functions etc and edit with music for DVD and online videos. I have been doing a lot of research and have come up with three different (very diff) option listed below. Which would you chose?

SONY ACTION CAM AS30V

1080p 60fps, lcd display possible (essential), video looks great, shock proof/water proof case, small.

PANASONIC TZ40

1080P 50fps, great looking video, can also take high qual photos, maybe not as suited to full time video recording?

CANNON HFR406

1080p, poor qual looking video, ease of use with good lcd display, easy to use point and shoot for the wife Any help much appreciated.

Any help and advice is much appreciated, I am clearly very new to the videography world.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
I would go with the TZ40 since I have the Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 (Lumix DMC-TZ30) and it has the same 20x optical zoom , GPS and 1080p60 video.

·
Registered
5,933 Posts
I have the TZ40; I only use it for video, and I have taken it around the world (Europe, China). It is a full-time video camera, that also takes good stills. The video quality is much better than the alternatives you mentioned, and it has many more features - long zoom, for one. Superb 5-axis stabilization. There is a new model coming in a few weeks that gives a longer zoom, and is still compact.

Here are some videos I took with it:

All handheld.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Thanks so much for the great responses. I'm definitely leaning towards the TZ40 as the video quality looks amazing and it's somewhat more versatile with a point and shoot still cam option too. 

Are there any other cameras with similar video recording capabilities that you could recommend in this price range? 

·
Registered
1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMACATTACK  /t/1522448/which-would-you-chose-home-everyday-camcorder#post_24480253

...Are there any other cameras with similar video recording capabilities that you could recommend in this price range? 

Not really. The predecessor model, the TZ30, can be had for about the same price - but it lacks wifi/NFC and 5 axis stabilisation - and it has a lower resolution LCD.

I would get the TZ40 .

Cheers,

Bill

1 - 6 of 6 Posts