AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Runco 933 and have been searching for an ultimate replacement.. I am a fan of Sony since I bought their Bravia 120hz MotionFlo LCD... I wish I can get the VPL-VW80 in the U.S, but is the Sony VPL-VW200 a good choice? How would you guys rate it with the JVC HD 750?

·
Registered
685 Posts
The Sony VW200 PJ is 15K MSRP. That is more than the JVC 750 cost.

The JVC 750 is in the price range to compete with the Marantz VP-15S1, BenQ W20000 and the Planar PD8150.

Sony would be competing with the Marantz VP11S2 primarily. I would advise you to search for the Official VW-200 thread which has screenshots and extensive information by Alan and Joerod. The JVC already has extensive user feedback in its official thread on the main page.

Try to see both PJs in action. Sony does get dim quickly due to the Xenon lamp but it also produces great colours because of that. On the looks alone Sony has the edge if that counts.

·
Premium Member
4,711 Posts
I don't think you can go wrong with either projector. If you're familiar with motionFlo and like the effect then the Sony is the only option.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Save your money, go with the SONY VPL-VW80 (you will have to order it from an overseas vendor but it will be worth it). You will get motion flow, exceptional picture (check out the VPL-VW80 thread) and the good news is the replacement lamps won't cost you $1000 but around $300! It is nice not feeling like you got raped every time you need to change your lamp.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmouse007 /forum/post/15551959

Save your money, go with the SONY VPL-VW80 (you will have to order it from an overseas vendor but it will be worth it). You will get motion flow, exceptional picture (check out the VPL-VW80 thread) and the good news is the replacement lamps won't cost you $1000 but around $300! It is nice not feeling like you got raped every time you need to change your lamp.

I wouldn't mind purchasing from overseas, but I would worry about the warranty..

VW200 I can get it $10k (which is alot).. Is anyone on the forum selling the VW80 (I remember an Australian saying something about selling them)..

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpabla /forum/post/15549105

I currently have a Runco 933 and have been searching for an ultimate replacement.. I am a fan of Sony since I bought their Bravia 120hz MotionFlo LCD... I wish I can get the VPL-VW80 in the U.S, but is the Sony VPL-VW200 a good choice? How would you guys rate it with the JVC HD 750?

The better projector to get depends partly on your choice of screen size and gain and on whether or not you like a bright image. If you like a bright image and are not willing to use a high gain screen, you may find the VW200 too dim on anything but a very modest-size screen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrd /forum/post/15554306

The better projector to get depends partly on your choice of screen size and gain and on whether or not you like a bright image. If you like a bright image and are not willing to use a high gain screen, you may find the VW200 too dim on anything but a very modest-size screen.

I have a 108'' screen.. I've looked up reviews for the VW200, and most say that the VW80 is a better choice..

I have searched around, and have not found a reliable source for the VW80 projector..

thanks

·
Registered
5,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpabla /forum/post/15553234

I wouldn't mind purchasing from overseas, but I would worry about the warranty..

VW200 I can get it $10k (which is alot).. Is anyone on the forum selling the VW80 (I remember an Australian saying something about selling them)..

I suggest you check out the VW80 thread. I believe they also covered the warranty question there.

____

Axel

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpabla /forum/post/15553234

Even with the recent price rise the current street price for the VW80 is aud$6000 which at the current exchange rate is a tad under us$4000!!!

The VW80 beats the VW200 in native on/off, dynamic on/off, ANSI and probably equals it for colour which is something no UHP globed pj has come close to doing. According to some reviewers it also has a better implementation of MotionFlow.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpabla /forum/post/15555810

I have a 108'' screen.. I've looked up reviews for the VW200, and most say that the VW80 is a better choice..

I have searched around, and have not found a reliable source for the VW80 projector..

thanks

There must be places to demo the RS20 and some of the Sonys in your area, if not the VW80, in showrooms and forum members' theaters. I recommend doing as much of that as possible. I have an RS20 and recommend that over any of the Sonys, since the high native contrast makes a big difference. There's also a ton of information in the RS20 threads on how to tweak it.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
Actually from reading the 80's thread it seems many owners are selling theirs. And as far as I can tell some have complained about the MotionFlow and how it is implemented. Which from what I read is different from my 200. Also, I would love to see one side by side because I have never read anywhere that the colors are close to the xenon's of the 200s. Trust me, if I had any inkling it was superior I would sell my 200 in a heartbeat and get the 80. Of course I would miss again the cool Sony lighted logo I get from the 200 (and previous Ruby
). My best bet is to wait for the 300...

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
How about the JVC vs Ruby? My current setup is in my living room which has light walls. I have 126" HP and am running at the longest throw. The brightness is ok @ 1800 hours on the bulb on 16:9 material, but a little dim with the auto iris on 2.35:1. I usually turn it off, but then CR suffers. That said, I'm not sure it's worth buying a whole new PJ for that one fault. Are there any areas, like colors or lens, that are worse on the HD750 than what I have now, or is the HD750 an upgrade across the board?

·
Registered
685 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joerod /forum/post/15557544

Actually from reading the 80's thread it seems many owners are selling theirs. And as far as I can tell some have complained about the MotionFlow and how it is implemented. Which from what I read is different from my 200. Also, I would love to see one side by side because I have never read anywhere that the colors are close to the xenon's of the 200s. Trust me, if I had any inkling it was superior I would sell my 200 in a heartbeat and get the 80. Of course I would miss again the cool Sony lighted logo I get from the 200 (and previous Ruby
). My best bet is to wait for the 300...

Yes Joe. I think it is wise to slug it out with the 200 over the 80 for sure until a newer and better model comes out. I've forgot the screen size and type you were using. It is a glorious looking projector IMO. Better looking than the Ruby IMO albeit the design is similar.

Can you be so kind to shed some light on the screen size, aspect ratio, material and throw distance? Also mention the hours you have right now and if possible the lumens being pumped out by the 200.

I think that with a Da-Lite HP and 8 feet wide 16:9 screen the projector should be fine for 1000 hrs. The colour accuracy of Xenon is still better than UHP but UHP is catching up rapidly.

·
Premium Member
24,208 Posts
I am using a 120.5" SilverStar with a Carada Masquerade Masking System. I actually have noticed that the lamp does not dramatically get dim like it did with my Ruby. I put close to 1,000 hours on my first (took it out to use as a full time spare) and now have almost 600 on the second lamp. I know I have a "bright" screen but I still get excellent results and have even had the lights on at half for the playoffs (NFL) without issue.

·
Registered
234 Posts
How does UHP "catch up"? People buy the JVC machines, marvel at the wonderful contrast, and then spend the next year trying to adjust for burnt orange reds, candy apple greens, and blue grey whites with adjustments and outboard processors. I haven't seen a UHP unit come close the color of the sony xenon units. Its fine to accept the limitations of UHP lamps, it is quite another to state it is doing something inherently difficult for the genre. I would call that wishful thinking and/or misleading. If you want an inexpensive replacement bulb, fine, but a lot of the people on this board who complain about bulb expense take much larger losses replacing their projectors every eight months.

·
Registered
663 Posts
I won a VW100 and had just the HD750 here and now the VW80 and the PD8150. The VW80 is superior to the VW100 and as well to the HD750 when it comes to colout. I have a big screen (4.2m wide and 2.2m high. I have switched off the auto-iris, that says somwthing about the natove contrast of the VW80. It is impressive. And has much more natural colours that the HD750 in my view, but I am cominbg as well from a Sony-Machine...

·
Registered
285 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjfrbw /forum/post/15563224

How does UHP "catch up"? People buy the JVC machines, marvel at the wonderful contrast, and then spend the next year trying to adjust for burnt orange reds, candy apple greens, and blue grey whites with adjustments and outboard processors. I haven't seen a UHP unit come close the color of the sony xenon units. Its fine to accept the limitations of UHP lamps, it is quite another to state it is doing something inherently difficult for the genre. I would call that wishful thinking and/or misleading. If you want an inexpensive replacement bulb, fine, but a lot of the people on this board who complain about bulb expense take much larger losses replacing their projectors every eight months.

We all know the colour gamut on all the JVC's is seriously wrong but not all UHP globed projectors are this bad. The UHP/LCOS Sony's have always been much better and the VW80 is the best yet. First thing we noticed, after the brightness, on/off, black levels, ANSI and image "pop" was how natural the colours were, particularly the secondaries and difficult to do subtle shades.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts