Votes: 2 66.7%
  • Pioneer

Votes: 1 33.3%
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what others think. Up until last week, the only TV in our home was a 1080p Panasonic 42PZ700U purchased back in 2007. My wife wanted a TV in the bedroom so I've casually been looking for something REALLY cheap and last week I bought a 50" Pioneer Elite for $200 (with optional speakers). It's a 2004 era PRO-1110HD 768p set.

Both sets were ISF calibrated when first purchased, but probably could stand to use another.

I put the 50" in the bedroom but the wife is put off by the size (especially with the speakers attached). I figured it drew more power than the Panasonic so would be better as a secondary TV, but based on the specs in the user manuals, it actually draws quite a bit less.

Sources for the main TV are a TiVo premiere and PS3. Sources for bedroom are a PC running Windows Media Center with a Hauppauge dual tuner.

I'm sitting here watching HD Golf on the Pioneer and the cameras just panned the ocean with a bunch of boats and there were a lot of jaggies in the motion, but I suppose it could be the source.

Oh, seating distance is about 10 feet for both.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The 1080p unit has far more pixels (1920x1080 = 2 million) vs the pioneer (1280x768 = 1 million) Each pixel is an individual light source which is mainly why the smaller set draws more power. I suppose you'll be sitting further away from the 50" as well where the lower res won't be as noticeable. The Panasonic probably has deeper black levels (even though the pioneer was a great 15000$
plasma in it's time) which would make it a better night time tv.

·
Registered
858 Posts

Quote:
'm sitting here watching HD Golf on the Pioneer and the cameras just panned the ocean with a bunch of boats and there were a lot of jaggies in the motion, but I suppose it could be the source.

Unless you are seeing jaggies on all inputs, would expect that to be a source issue.

Might try checking your cable box output: a few owners have stated they get better results if box is set for 720p instead of 1080i (with a 720p set) - probably particularly if channel is broadcasting in 720 to begin with. (From memory, ABC & ESPN use 720p.)

Unless there is something Wrong with the Pioneer - colors are off, black levels have turned to light gray, Whatever - at a 10 foot viewing distance would pick the 50" set over a 42" set. Most people cannot resolve the resolution difference at that viewing distance.

(And, yes, I know: "EVERYONE" on avsforum can Instantly tell the difference: am just saying that At Least 19 out of 20 people who have seen our 50" 720p Panasonic - whether at original 10 foot or subsequent 9 foot distance - ASSUMED it was a 1080p set: and many of those people OWN a 1080p plasma; and Mostly Panasonics, at that!)

FWIW, our current panels are a 42", a 50" and a 60" - all Panasonic plasmas....

Current viewing distance (primary "seating" position): about 10 feet for the 42" (bedroom); 10 - 11 ft for the 50" (LR); and 9 ft for the 60" ("Home Theater" area....)

All three sets look Mostly fine at those distances: however, the 60", at 9ft, looks OUTSTANDING with Blu-ray or HDDVDs, while the 50" (720p) OFTEN looks "better" with Cable "HT TV" broadcasting....

YMMV

·
Registered
15,538 Posts
Just based on size, I would put the 42" display in the bedroom and the 50" display in the family room.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts