AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here is the situation, kindly suggest the best alternative.

I can get the xbox 360 (pro 60gb) older than slim model for $150 from radioshack at clearance. But i am worried about RROD and if Microsoft will replace it or repair it,and also Kinect compatibility.

I can get the newer xbox slim 4gb from target on BF for $199 -$50 GC -$10GC

I am worreid about the small HD space of only 4gb.

Which system should I get?

·
Registered
9,280 Posts
the old pro would be warrantied for 3 years from the purchase date, assuming its new and sealed.

slim 4gb is nice (i have one) but has a 1 year warranty.... you can slip any xbox HDD inside, but it is unseen as to how microsoft will "treat" the people who do that.

·
Registered
72 Posts
new slim models arent compatible with older HDD drives. they want to sucker you into buying the cheaper 360 knowing that you will end up paying more for a bigger HDD drive.

just go with the slim model if you dont mind paying extra later. otherwise go with the more expensive slim model that comes with the 120 GBs

·
Banned
7,766 Posts
Please ignore the entire contents of Excellent's post. His advice is not, ahem, "excellent".

If you take the drive out of the old 360 HDD shell, it works in the Slim just fine. Microsoft isn't trying to "sucker" anyone by offering a lower cost console in addition to their higher cost console. $140+130 for your cheap 4GB slim versus $300 for a regular Slim is not paying more. And the $300 Slim comes with a 250GB hard drive.

Good job, Excellent! You were 4 for 4 on that post!

·
Registered
771 Posts
I was told at gamestop that microsoft no longer offers the 3 year warranty for the RROD. is that true ?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it looks like everyone agrees that Xbox Slim is the way to go. In that case how good is the 4gb, if I don't buy the HDD how else can I store games or download stuff from XBL.

Also, do any of you have kinect, does it need to be placed in a certain place near the tv, does the room have to have a lot of light, can you play it in a small room (standing distance from kinect etc)

·
Registered
493 Posts
Wel, if money is no object than obviously go for the Slim. Better manufacturing, quieter (when you upgrade the storage to install games on), sexier, native Kinnect port, etc. Blah blah blah.

4GB is not a lot of space - you won't be able to install one game onto the system before you run out. This will mean you'll have to play the games off of disc, which takes away a lot of the quiet.

We sometimes LOVE to spend other people's money. We also love to spend our own money, come to think of it. If you don't mind putting more cash into the system later than by all means get the Slim. If money is the primary issue however, go for the older model. You'll get storage, you'll get a longer warranty, and so long as its a Jasper model (search this forum to learn how to identify one) it should have the same failure rate as a PS3 or Wii.

My 2 cents anyway.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove /forum/post/19538897

Save your money, get the 250G Xbox360 "S".

Its worth it.

Yup. I have an 1st gen with 20g. And I don't save anything or much but it's pretty much full. I would like to download games but can't. Depends if you are going to store anything. But the 4 gid will get used up quick. As for RRD when the warrenty is out it's any easy fix. Just take the heat sheld out , clean it screw it back and use artic paste. Burn it in the put the HD back. Lot of places you can lean from. It's not a mod IMO. Just fixing bad hardware.

I normally wouldn't buy a crappy machine but I like XBL ,Halo and Gear which Xbox has

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
This is a separate question regarding xbox. I have a panasonic HTIB, now once I get the xbox 360 how will I be connecting it to the receiver or the TV (HDTV)

Will I directly connect the xbox hdmi to Tv hdmi or will i be connecting xbox hdmi to receiver hdmi.

·
Registered
1,708 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 /forum/post/19544225

This is a separate question regarding xbox. I have a panasonic HTIB, now once I get the xbox 360 how will I be connecting it to the receiver or the TV (HDTV)

Will I directly connect the xbox hdmi to Tv hdmi or will i be connecting xbox hdmi to receiver hdmi.

Either way. But if you have a HT hook it to the receiver. Your receiver switches everything and makes it look less messy, less wires

·
Registered
539 Posts
I bought an S-Box 4G and also have an Elite, that I gave to my wife and is in the living room (S-Box is in the Theater room upstairs). I just us an 8GB thumb drive to keep my profile on and that way I can use it between both units (as I'm the only one with a Gold subscription - and access to Netflix). Eventually I'll move up to a 16GB drive (had one and lost it somewhere during packing when I moved a couple months ago) but for now, 8GB is good enough and holds plenty of download games and game saves.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I am planning on buying a few games since gamestop is having their B2F1 free until sunday. I know i will buy the assassins creed 2 and I need to know if i should buy forza 3 or need for speed shift. I need a game where two people can play offline. Also need some suggestions for a third game. red dead redemption or fable III.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaverJ
Red Dead is great... Fable III not so much. I would recommend Fable 2 used or discounted over Fable 3.
WoW...Really? May I ask why? I was planning on buying my nephew Fable III for xmas. He has both of the Fable games and loves them. I would love to hear your thoughts.

Back on topic...I would say get the 250GB slim.

·
Registered
72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by darklordjames /forum/post/19536385

Please ignore the entire contents of Excellent's post. His advice is not, ahem, "excellent".

If you take the drive out of the old 360 HDD shell, it works in the Slim just fine. Microsoft isn't trying to "sucker" anyone by offering a lower cost console in addition to their higher cost console. $140+130 for your cheap 4GB slim versus $300 for a regular Slim is not paying more. And the $300 Slim comes with a 250GB hard drive.

Good job, Excellent! You were 4 for 4 on that post!

well I mispoke on what hard drive the more expensive slim comes with, but yes Microsoft is trying to sucker people into buying the 360 for 200 when infact they will have to pay as much as the 250 GB model anyway buying a bigger hard drive because 4 gigs isnt enough for most gamers. MS is notorious for suckering people. as evident by their past 80 dollar wireless adapter, extra costs for XBL, etc.

while it is possible I honestly wouldnt risk sticking a generic or older drive into the slim. but go ahead If you really want to.

and thank you for the encouraging words. it means so much over the internet especially when there are so many meanies out there that like to show kids like me who's boss.

·
Registered
10,258 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesCove /forum/post/19538897

Save your money, get the 250G Xbox360 "S".

Its worth it.

This really is the best answer, with all the deals going on you can find the new Slim 250GB at an excellent price.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.