AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
Ricka -- If you use s-video in then the games that are native widescreen will not be displayed correctly, no?

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Michael - the first two products at least are just simple converer boxes that take interlaced input and convert that to a normal VGA signal through lousy line doubling. The box sold by digital-x on the other hand appears to be a component-RGBHV transcoder (either that or it gets the xbox to output VGA directly - at any rate it's just like the Dreamcast VGA box) which takes the full 480p input of the xbox and outputs that directly.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I concur with Frode the first 2 boxes are simple line doublers and should be immediately disregarded. The 3RD box is a transcoder which would provide much better picture quality. Since, your in the USA I would recommend this transcoder since shipping will be cheaper. I don't think any XBOX games support anything more than 480p. There was some talk that Test Drive was going to support 1080i but I don't think that worked out.

http://members.cox.net/kgasper/XboxVGA/Home.html

·
Registered
830 Posts
Didn't viewsonic have a simple VGA box like these?

T.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
That viewsonic box is a cheap XGA scaler. Unless higher resolution than 480p is needed then the digial-X box is better as there's no AD/DA conversion, scaling or de-interlacing involved.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The last one is the only one that specifically mentions 480p support. If the others are just taking a 480i signal and then de-interlaces and scales you are missing half of the data. Same problem with the viewsonic solution. There is suppose to be a couple of games coming out that support 1080i.

·
Registered
13 Posts
You may want to take a look at this one as well:

Micomsoft XRGB-2+ Upscan Converter

I really like mine so far. Have a PS2 using the Japanese standard RGB cable they recommend plugged into a Sony G520 monitor and it's great so far. The manual is in japanesse but all the onscreen displays and buttons on the box are english. I plan to try plugging some other things into it soon. It's a bit more expensive than your standard box tho.

edit: bleh after looking at it more closely it doesn't support 480p which you seem interested in, it is still a nice box tho.

·
Registered
100 Posts
In July Viewsonic is supposed to release the Nextvision 6 which should take component input up to 1080i and convert it to VGA (for use with their VGA monitors). Seems like this would work with PJs as well. There is another thread about the Viewsonic Nextvision boxes.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Can someone enlighten me on this, as I am about to purchase the xbox and the HD pack for my mits 55 hdtv.

What does this box do other than the ability to connect to PC monitor via the vga connection?

Does it do more than what the HD pack can?

I currently have my D6000 and HTPC connected to a switch box to the HDTV's RGBHV port. I was planning to unplug my DVD player's component cable when I'm going to use the XBOX or the worse scenerio, plug the component cable to the HD component and try to switch the tv to use the the component port.

This box will be a great solution if it does what I think it does.

Anyone else second the 3rd box? Or, have any other suggestions?

·
Registered
1,831 Posts
HD pack works fine for people with RGBHV inputs.

Unfortunately some of us don't. I have a PJ with VGA input but no RGBHV input so only option I have in connecting my XBOX to my PJ is to go through SVHS connection - which is not so good.

·
Registered
629 Posts
I have a question....

Why not buy Microsoft's HDpack for the X-box, then use a component -> VGA transcoder? It might be more expensive, but at least that way, you'd be assured you'd get the highest resolutions (like 1080i) when the games start supporting it? It sounds like that Digital-X VGA converter would only go to 480p no matter what....

Key Digital sells one that specifically mentions X-Box compatibility.....But Im not sure what the difference is between the two models they sell.....They look identicle, and I wouldn't think there would be any reason why a normal component -> VGA transcoder wouldn't work....But hey.....

Unfortunately, this damn thing is more expensive than the X-Box now!
http://shop.store.yahoo.com/homethea.../noname12.html

-Ryan Dinan

·
Premium Member
5,818 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ryan there is a big difference between spending ~$360 (HD pack+reverse transcoder that works) vs. $40

·
Registered
83 Posts
This is the converter I use with the X-box and it looks great.

http://www.digitalconnection.com/Hom...er/kdctca2.htm

Note this box does put some of the blanking lines if the component in into the retrace of the RGBHV. The result is that Macrovision DVD through from a progressive DVD player has the AGC sync pulses in the video region during retrace. Other than that I have not had a problem with component sources.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.