AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just want to make sure I have everything in place for my dedicated home theatre room when the builders start their work...

tips...

advice..

walls, floors...

it'll be a projector[overhead], 4 floor standing speakers, big centre, sub behind the couch etc

in a rather large room connected to the kitchen and bedroom[sound proofing advice too]

receiver, dvd etc will be placed to the left of the room

·
Registered
27,679 Posts
Hire a designer...a cheap piece of mind that will insure a predictable result.

I used Dennis Erskine, he is a moderator here. Very professional. Spectacular outcome. www.designcinema.com

See my link below..

·
Registered
219 Posts
Hire Dennis tomorrow. The sooner you have plans from him or another reputable designer, the better off you will be. The room will be better, built faster, and less likely to have cost over-runs.

It's very easy to sit down with a builder at this stage and find out how much it would cost to double drywall the theater area. His bid already has the cost for one layer of drywall, so all you are really paying for is more sheetrock and some additional labor. Same with flooring, soffits, etc. depending on how detailed you are planning on getting. Now is the time to plan and discuss these things. All the wiring can be done during the framing stage...assuming you know where the wires need to go. Same with HVAC. Without plans, you're just guessing and could make a costly mistake.

Robert

·
Registered
27,679 Posts
I never met Dennis (yet), but he did my entire room design and aided with the contractors. So that means you can get a properly designed room, even in Australia.

That's the best ip you can get.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Really appreciate the feedback..

but i'm SURE a lot of you guys have done it yourselves...or had it done for you

and i'm just looking for general tips and info in regards to the install to make sure I don't forget anything.

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
I am with Jeff and Rob, Denise is one Helluva designer and installers (check out the theaters he has created in his site). He is Mass certified in every department of the industry.

If you have to do-it-yourself: Make sure you have the proper room shape (rectangular preferred). If a L-shaped, or alcoves, Modify the room now. Makes sure the walls are insulated well and you use double drywall. Future proof the room with wiring. Structured and distributed audio/VCs www.swhowto.com is mainly for networking and Da, but the wiring principle applies to home theater wiring as well. www.lsdinc.com has tools for every flavor. Make sure you, or they wire low volt wire 18" away from the AC romex to avoid noise. Speaker placement is critical. Use a THX microperfed Stewart screen and conceal your L,C,R speakers. Build a false wall to place them 4' from the display and side walls for best sound. Wire for 7.1 (side and rear surrounds) even if you only use one set of surrounds now. If you plan on remote controlling concealed electronics, wire CAT5 for a IR repeater system NOW, before drywall goes up. Use 12AWG wire, or 16/2 that is fire-rated. You can use conduit if you think you may upgrade anything in the future. I would run structured cable in at least two places in the room. Verify your projector is placed perfectly. Is the lighting in the room controllable? You should be able to make it so dark that you cannot see your hand in front of your face. Have the electrian wire several outlets to your home run where all the components will be plugged into.

These are just rudimentary technical elements for a good home theater. Calibration and acoustic paneling, etc. comes later. Building a home theater is not a simple process. If you do what you can and have Dennis help you out more it will be a success.

Visit: www.dolby.com, www.crutchfield.com, and Polk Audios site for more detailed info and make a checklist of each thing you have to do.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
I would start by putting metal conduit in the walls before you close them off. That way if change your wiring scheme you'll still be able to run them. Always pull wires in conduit with dishwasher soap that way you can be assured you never burned a wire.

I sound proofed my basement ceiling and interior walls with a product I found called "sonopan." It's a product made in Canada maybe you can find the equivalent in your neck of the woods.
http://www.cascades.com/pdf/brochure_sonopan_en.pdf

I find it an excellent product however I have forced air vents and 10% of the sound escapes through the hot air vents. All my doors in my basement are solid and made of a dense pressed wood fiber that paints quite well.

Alot of my theater is "do it your self. " Press the gallery button on my post and you can get an idea of what I did.

·
Registered
908 Posts
Make sure you have large conduit installed, especially for the projector (minimum 4" diameter). Also, if you are going to enclose a projector, install a 6" duct for cooling.

I dito the recommendation to use Dennis Erskine. I paid for three hours of consulting as I was designing my theater. I wanted to design it my self, but needed some expert advice and input. It was the best investment I made while building my theater. I never met him either. We corresponded by mail, by email and by phone.

Good luck!

Tom

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.