AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

· Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...they're STILL releasing SD titles in 'fullscreen'. J6P rules, it seems.

I got "My Super Ex-Girlfriend" in SD today. It's a Fox title, and it's a flipper - WS/FS. I didn't think they'd made those since those early Warners WS/FS flippers. Furthermore, it's single-layer DVD4 on both versions.

I hated 'fullscreen' titles even before I had a WS display, but they're still doing them; several times, I've had to return an SD title because I accidentally purchased the 'FS' version.

Why would they STILL release 'FS' versions? J6P. S/he's still enough of a market force to matter. Unfortunately.

So, while you enthusiasts/early adopters are whining about things like, "They don't have a lossless audio track on the HD disc," keep in mind that we're a minority; the mass of (wo)men lead lives of quiet desperation, and want/accept butchered 4:3 movies, and even 1.78 versions of 2.35+ movies.

I definitely want "the look and sound of perfect," but with people still buying significant quantities of SD 4:3 movies, it's a big uphill climb to 'perfect.'

· Registered
2,169 Posts
Damn this is true and sad......

· Registered
1,788 Posts
I set my parents up with an HD set and a Sony upgrading dvd player.

And they still prefer VHS and standard def cable.

· Registered
2,106 Posts
I did a similiar thing myself with my folks. Toshiba 46" HD tv, the A2 and the D* HD DVR.

But son, we can't see a difference from out old tv! I nearly wet my pants after the $3500.00 investment.

Granted, they are both in their late 70's, but still? They could have at least lied to me about it and said it was great.

· Registered
844 Posts
My parents just bought an lcd. They refuse to even test the water with hd. They just don't care. They have yet to set up their surround sound. It's just sitting in the box collecting dust. Parents...don't ya just love'em?

· Registered
680 Posts
I got my parents (mostly my mother) to buy a 50-inch LCD with HD service. Less than a year later, they have 42-inch plasma, and 27-inch LCD in my lil sister's room, and a small LCD in the kitchen....plus three TiVos.

I feel right at home when I go visit.

· Registered
4,715 Posts
All depends were ya go I was up at my grandparrents over xmas. He had just bought a 32" LCD HDTV and a HD cable box with the paid exta channels. But to my shock it was hooked up over coax. Futher more while watching football he prefered the streached FS verson of espn over the WS HD version of espn. Becase their were bars durring ads he couldent streach out.

I tryed to tell him about getting a cheep HDMI cable as he would get real HD. But he explaned the cable guy told me this is right...

But I think the next time I'm up their ill bring my extra HDMI cable to show himm the diffrences. Prehapps then he will watch the HD channels he paying extra for...

But as far a the FS DVDs. I'm shocked how well they sell. I'm in retail and pepole offten ask what to get I point then twords WS but they don't want then bars. Despite explaining what's being lost they still wanted the FS version becase it fill the screen. The loss is worth it for them..

I had sevral pepole pass on pirates of the carribbin becase it was only OAR. Many saying why do they do this, I don't undersatnd why they don't make movies that fill my screen.

· Registered
30,404 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerx /forum/post/0

All depends were ya go I was up at my grandparrents over xmas. He had just bought a 32" LCD HDTV and a HD cable box with the paid exta channels. But to my shock it was hooked up over coax.

The last time I visited, my grandmother asked me, "So what exactly is a D-V-D?"

· Registered
385 Posts
Why are we criticizing grandma and grandpa for their lack of CE knowledge?

I'm not sure what we expect of them.

Also, most people are not home theater enthusiasts. If they want fullscreen

who cares? As long as there is a widescreen version available I'll be happy.

In fact, there are people that might stay away from a High Def disc player if

they know most of their favorite movies will only be available with bars on

the screen! (that sounds ridiculous to me too, but I'm an enthusiast!)

I'll tell you this; if we go around being dogmatic and inflexible about this stuff,

people will get sick of hearing about it. That's why family members sometimes

roll their eyes when these conversations take place. More often than not, it's

best to just let these conversations go unspoken.

They will never be like us!

Why polarize them against your cause just to make a point?

· Registered
6,714 Posts
Unbelieveable that they're still releasing movies in MAR on DVD. This is the one thing that I fear about BD. That some studios will release 2.35:1 films as 16:9. I've got my boxing gloves ready.

· Registered
85 Posts
oh, oh... a bit of an old story, probably 15 or more years ago, but my great aunt had bought her brother a quit smoking kit. I asked her if he had listen to the cassette yet. She just looked at me and asked, "what?" I pointed down to the cassette on the table and said, "this cassette." She then told me she had no idea what that was. I went to her car and she did indeed have a cassette player in her car. I told her she had a cassette player in her car, but I always wondered if she ever found it.

· Registered
2,769 Posts
Considering how scary things were a few years ago, when some rental places and retail stores would stock ONLY the "FS" title, I think we've come a long way. It's awfully rare that you can't find something in OAR, and usually the FS stuff is in the bargain bin if it's there at all.

· Registered
422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monty22001 /forum/post/0

It'll bite j6p in the butt nicely when he's forced to get a 16x9 tv and the complaining begins about the pillar bars.

I can't wait.

They'll just stretch them and never notice. Trust me, I know people who do this that don't care if they are missing anything or that it is stretched. They only care that the screen is filled.

I also know people with pretty large hdtvs and no hd service who will not believe me that hd is better, or that they will notice.

· Registered
1,076 Posts
One of my friends got an SXRD and complained how it looked all stretched and weird. I told him how to turn it off and he liked it much better. He's fairly j6p on this stuff. But you're probably right, a lot will use stretch blah.

· Registered
3,715 Posts
Frankly...the parents/grandparents and other assorted people mentioned in this thread just sound like dummies. My parents are in their 70's and they can clearly see the advantage to HD and 5.1 sound. The people quoted in this thread sound like slack jawed doofus. What is a cassette? What is D-V-D??? Don't know what Compact Audio Disks are??? Are you kidding me?

Look grandpa..powered flight...wow!!!!!

· Registered
1,076 Posts
Not only that, but my dad's sight isn't getting any better, and he wants a big and sharper screen. I think it's a big advantage to have a big HD for older people.

I have an uncle that's in his 80's. They have had this 27" CRT for like 15 years or whatever, with a giant magnifying lens thing in front of it. Looks ridiculous. Give them a 60" HD, and they wouldn't have that problem.

· Registered
680 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star56 /forum/post/0

Frankly...the parents/grandparents and other assorted people mentioned in this thread just sound like dummies. My parents are in their 70's and they can clearly see the advantage to HD and 5.1 sound. The people quoted in this thread sound like slack jawed doofus. What is a cassette? What is D-V-D??? Don't know what Compact Audio Disks are??? Are you kidding me?

Look grandpa..powered flight...wow!!!!!

It reminds me of the way many men on the forums describe their wives. They act as if their wives are too "dumb" to figure out how to turn on the TV or operate more than one remote. Quite frankly, I'd be embarassed to say my wife either didn't have the intelligence or patience to operate more than one remote.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.