AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I finally installing my clips on the ceiling & since I ordered more then I needed since I have de-coupled the walls that I'm not clipping anymore I have some extra clips. My friend that was helping to install them suggested install them every second joints or 32" horizontally rather then the 48" a per spec. Would this make I difference in the sound damping of the clip ? I thinking it better because it helps to spread out the load which is good since I'm putting up 3 layers of 5/8 drywall. Or my other ideal which I just thought of was to install them the same direction as the existing joints not across them as this would seem to be easier when I put up my drywall. Any comments before I continue with the rest of the clip installation.

·
Registered
2,880 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGmouthinDC /forum/post/16951305

Shine a shadow of the Whisper Clip in the sky and Ted White should show up shortly.

LOL!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach3 /forum/post/16951234

Hey, I finally installing my clips on the ceiling & since I ordered more then I needed since I have de-coupled the walls that I'm not clipping anymore I have some extra clips. My friend that was helping to install them suggested install them every second joints or 32" horizontally rather then the 48" a per spec. Would this make I difference in the sound damping of the clip ? I thinking it better because it helps to spread out the load which is good since I'm putting up 3 layers of 5/8 drywall. Or my other ideal which I just thought of was to install them the same direction as the existing joints not across them as this would seem to be easier when I put up my drywall. Any comments before I continue with the rest of the clip installation.

Well, it would hurt the decoupling- the less contact points, the better. Also, it would make it much harder to install drywall since the sheets come in increments of 48" (4' wide, 8' or 12' long), not 32". As far as the load bearing capacity of the clips, I'll wait for Ted's advice on that. I will offer that I did some calculations and they would carry enough, at the recommended spacing, to support my soffits.

CJ

CJ

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The main reason I thought this would work it because it looks like the metal clip itself is the damping part of the clip & more would just help to spread the load out. Being in a major earth quake zone doesn't help either & I'm just worried about all this load being over top of my plus other friends head well watching my PJ. I looked at the my new pattern with clips every 32" would use 10 clip per hat channel versus the every 48" pattern which use 7 sometimes 6 that the spec calls for.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
It's been cloudy and I guess I missted the light in the sky.

The resilient clip system works because of the overall resilience of the whole system, clips + channel + drywall.

#1 Fewer clips = less contact points = less mechanical conduction as CJ said

#2 Fewer clips means that the channel will flex more. More flex = more internal damping = less sound on other side.

We always spec the clips to be 48" along any particular channel. If using double 5/8" rock, we space the rows of channel every 24" to not exceed the weight load spec from the SSMA. If we're using triple 5/8" rock, we still space the clips every 48", but reduce the distance between the tracks from 24" to 16". Again, we are compliant with the SSMA weight specs.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ted, I understand what you saying but how much less resilience would it be ? The reason I'm asking is because I have about half of the clips up at the 36" spacing but if you think it would be a significant enough different I go back & redo the ones that are up already. I guess I just need a little re-assurance that 48" is the best spacing as everyone around here I talk to seem to think that I alot of a load on the clip/hat channel. Sorry if this seem kinda crazy but it just I don't want to have to redo this as been expensive enough to do the first time.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Definately go back and re-do. It is significant. Follow the printed grid instructions.

Call us directly with further questions for faster response.

Also, we'll take back unused clips.

Thanks!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info Ted, the reason I didn't call was that you were closed when this came up last night & I thought you might be browsing AVS for your home.

I will re-do clips & post a pic afterwords before going forward. Also I will contact you or John about the extra clip I will have once I have the other all up so I can get a count.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Yep. That all makes sense. I do browse forums at night. Thanks for the updates!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok, here are some pics of the clips up in the pattern as close as I can get to it. I had to cheat on the slide door end due to the last two joist being only 9" out from the end wall.

Also on the side I add a extra row to get within the 6" of the wall with each side being 4.5" to make it easier to remember later.

Any comments before I continue on my mess-de-piece

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
That looks as professional as I've ever seen. Very nice job and thanks for sharing the pics.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks Ted for you nice comments, but I have a more couple question for you. I'm putting up three layers of 5/8 DW on the ceiling & was wondering if with that many layers would I still be able to install a soffit on the wall with the door sliding door on it, the one with the extra clips as show in pic DSC05002. I reason I ask is after reading the CIM Soffits pdf John send they only refer to installing soffits on a two layer ceiling. Also when install the hat channel is there any benefit/problem from over lapping the to piece's say 12 inch with two screws in either side on channel to hold it together.

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
3 layers? So the channel rows are spaced 16" not 24, right? Please say "yes"

Any soffit will have to have a dedicated channel up in the ceiling. If you need our articles please let me know

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Don't worry, the clip are install every 16" as per spec. except the 1 & last row which are both 4.5" out from the wall. I think I get what you mean about the dedicated channel but will post later if I have any more questions on this.

Thanks again

·
Registered
7,780 Posts
Great. All is well. If you need our Soffit article, holler

1 - 15 of 15 Posts