Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

my name is Steve from Germany.

After reading many threads over the last three or so years I finally have a question I cannot solve searching the archive.

I bought a PG6+ with only a few hundred hours on it. I found a guy over at a german forum who helped me set it up propperly. Actually he did all the work and I had problems to follow :)

The pg looks like new and from our view nobody ever screwed it up or tried to fix anything inside.

We had the well known messed menue problem so after several attempts we had to do a full reset. Luckily since then, everything is working properly.

We knew we would overwrite the white balance settings but there was no choice.

Picture is really brilliant apart from slightly to much red in it. We tried to compensate it, but the colors are not too convincing.

Buying a scope or paying someone to calibrate it is not an option.

Is there a DIY manual for PGs?

Only source I found, was the guide by Robro but I have no htpc nor AVIA test dvd on hands, only a test dvd by Burosch.

BTW I have a momitsu hooked with a res of 720p.

The results however are not satisfying.

Regards

Steff

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
For god's sake if you play with the white balance menu (Kelvin) WRITE DOWN THE NUMBERS BEFORE YOU FIDDLE.

And don't tweak any pots.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
he didn't have access to the menu due to the scrambled mess.

He should have connected the PJ to a PC though, to use the PC Control Software and read the settings that way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
assuming that the kelvin was set right in the first place? So what type of equipment is desired to make a real go at this? (consumer / prosumer grade)

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kschmit2
he didn't have access to the menu due to the scrambled mess.

He should have connected the PJ to a PC though, to use the PC Control Software and read the settings that way.

I was really speaking to J4play, sorry I wasn't clear.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
Quote:
Picture is really brilliant apart from slightly to much red in it. We tried to compensate it, but the colors are not too convincing.
These guys are making a mountain out of a molehill. If the red seems to dominate, press kelvin and reduce the red white level. Ideally you should use Avia with a greyscale steps pattern, if you can't get that use a DVD that is known to be pure black and white, like Roy Orbison's. Adjust the whites so they have no visible color tint, then look at the dark areas and adjust if the blacks look tinged with blue/red/green. Not hard at all.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Connecting to a pc with PC Control Software did not come up our mind, we didn´t have a cable anyway.

I tried to calibrate it according to the mechanical setup guide and things look better.

As I said, all silicone dabs look original. Only thing we do not know, if someone played with the G2 potis.

Is it possible to check and verify the g2 settings?

I thought, the white balance/g2 settings had to be done after a tube swap. How do these guys calibrate?

Steff

·
Registered
18,503 Posts
I'll be honest, I still don't have a good way to do the PG series of white balance. I've got abut 3 sets here with decent (but not perfect) tubes that should look a LOT better than they do. The w/b is all over the map.

In the PG series, the w/b is done by tweaking pots on the video board. ONE DAY probably over Xmas I'll spend a day trying to write a good and CLEAR writeup and procedure about white balance on the PG. If I can get together with Doug Basiey before then, maybe he can decipher the NEC service manual.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_A_W
For god's sake if you play with the white balance menu (Kelvin) WRITE DOWN THE NUMBERS BEFORE YOU FIDDLE.
hmm. i don't quiet understand why this is so critical on a fresh setup. don't we clear all the settings at the start anyway (as in curte's guide)?

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
That means the Alignment and Convergence settings - NOT the colour settings.

It's not the end of the world if you've messed with it - particularly if it looks ok. But if you've messed it up and the colours are nasty then you really need a colourimeter to put it right.

There are 2 levels to this - the controls under Kelvin, which are refinements on top of pots on the VIDEO OUT board. These are the pots you don't touch pots :)

BTW, it's not Curt's guide, it's Tinman and Feathers. Curt's hosting it, but he didn't write it. But he will write a white balance guide, won't you Curt?

Mark

·
Registered
57 Posts
So there is no process that I can perform currently to set white level without a colorimeter. So in the intrim, can anyone give me some tips that will get me close?

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
Do this:

At the very end of the video out board is a tiny test / normal switch. Set this to test position and see what you get for gray scale. If that looks ok then the G2 pots havent been touched.

Dont assume they have been moved and dont touch any of the pots unless you want more problems. You should have W/B control of each color via the menu. If the pots havent been changed then you can get them back by applying a video only signal (video input if it has a decoder card installed then read what that signal was using. In HT that input isnt usually used.

Your red push could have been the source, like Jesse suggested use a BW DVD, BTW: Roy Orbison Black and White is my favorate if I dont have my generator or Avia with me. Doug

Remember to set the switch back to normal position.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.