AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before anyone yells at me, I did search through the forum and most of the burn in threads, but I couldn't find out how long the "white bar scroll" or the inverted image (both on Panny 42PWD6UY), should be left on to have an effect. Just to be on the safe side, I like to run one of these modes after I watch a some 2.35:1 DVD's to prevent image retention or possibly even burn-in if it works. But I don't know how long to leave the mode on since the manual doesn't give any suggestions; so is it like 1 min, 15 mins, 1 hr? Just need to know a range. Thanks.

·
Registered
644 Posts
It probably makes some sense to run the screensaver if you notice image retention after watching certain types of material but it's probably overkill to run it to *prevent* image retention.

Spleen

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"Why zero minutes? Are you saying that it is useless?"

Uh huh.... If you have a big of image retention, it can clear it (although watching TV will do the same thing). If you have burn in, there is no way the white-bar scroll can help.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by spleen93
It probably makes some sense to run the screensaver if you notice image retention after watching certain types of material but it's probably overkill to run it to *prevent* image retention.

Spleen
So basically it serves no purpose, because as Rogo said, image retention can be cleared by watching normal TV or some other channel. I just wanted to make sure that it does nothing to reduce the risk of burn-in.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Correct, it will not prevent burn-in

Spleen

·
Registered
351 Posts
Burn-in occurs due to uneven wear of the phospers. The white screen doesn't remove burn-in but is supposed to make it less noticeable by creating an more evenly burn of the screen.

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"The white screen doesn't remove burn-in but is supposed to make it less noticeable by creating an more evenly burn of the screen."

How would evenly displaying a white bar (even because each part of the screen has the bar for the same amount of time) make burn-in less noticeable when the burned-in part would, by its nature, have >>uneven

·
Registered
502 Posts
The white bar screenswiper WILL PREVENT burn in on static screens, IE the menu screen on a DVD. However, if the menu screen has white letters or other white portions you're in trouble. Those portions WILL BURN IN because the phosphors do not change color when the bar passes over. This is not speculation, it is a testimonial.

·
Registered
644 Posts
OK, now you've confused me. You have a testimonial that the screensaver will not fix burn-in if the menu has white letters or you have a testimonial that using the screensaver will prevent burn-in on a static screen that does not contain white areas? Regarding the latter, what would operating the screensaver do that taking the menu off the screen and watching something else not do?

Spleen

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
"The white bar screenswiper WILL PREVENT burn in on static screens, ..."

If and only if it automatically activates on static screens. In that case, a blank-the-screen screensaver would be even better.

Otherwise, I have no idea what you are talking about. Please help.

·
Registered
644 Posts
I read the other thread. Agree that a blank display screensaver that comes on after a present amount of time would probably work better than a white bar. I think that using the XP30's sleep function is the equivalent. :)

Many of the plasmas out there do not have screensavers that come on after a certain amount of time though ...

Spleen

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by NYTEK
.... but I couldn't find out how long the "white bar scroll" or the inverted image (both on Panny 42PWD6UY), should be left on to have an effect. .....
I am glad to see that the Panny has the inverted picture feature as I think it works extremely well as a preventive and corrective measure.

My Sony 32" plasma has 3600 hours with no burn in. I never stretch 4:3 source, I never zoom 2.35 material and I make no attempt to add gray bars at the side. I have left static images on the screen for up to six hours.

I check for 4:3 burn-in by looking at both sides on a white screen and seeing if the sides are brighter because the pixels haven't been used as much. Similarly I check for 2.35 burn-in by looking at the top and bottom sections.

Once I see a difference I will use the inversion feature as a corrective measure and then a preventive measure. If I notice a problem 200 hours after my last check I think that 50 hours tops of inversion should remove the problem. At that point I will figure out how many hours of inversion is needed on a regular basis.

·
Registered
824 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by quad user
So you have your contrast set to zero, eh? :D
I am glad you mentioned that as it caused me to make some measurements with my Colorfacts 6000 which have very humorous results.

100IRE window white on my set is set at 135.4 nits (Studio reference white is 103).

When I move the window to the top of the screen it drops to 124.5.

When I move the window to the top left it drops further to 120.6.

In other words on my set apparently I need to be watching more 4:3 and more 2.35 to 1 in order to even out the brightness on my set.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.