AVS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am attempting to enhance the DVD playback quality in the Youth Room of our church. When using the cheap DVD player ($40ish) connected to the projector there are scattered horizontal white bars 3" - 4" above the top of the image.

When I hook my personal 7 - 8 year old Oppo thru the composite cables they go away. I purchased a new, more expensive DVD player ($100ish) with composite hookups and the white bars were still there.

I cant use HDMI because I need to seperate the sound so it's routed thru our sound board.

Can you guys help me figure this out? Is there a $100ish DVD player that will eliminate the bars?

Thanks!
Trvlngnrs

Attachments

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Bill, I haven't tried that. I was told that the HDMI, by default, carries the sound, that's why I was using the composite cables, so I could separate the signals. Are you saying I can still use the red/white RCA plugs for sound & the HDMI for video?

The HDMI connects directly to the projector with it's tiny speaker.

Thanks, you also made me think of trying to use the headphone jack with the HDMI!
Trvlngnrs

·
Registered
9,190 Posts
Hi, I am attempting to enhance the DVD playback quality in the Youth Room of our church. When using the cheap DVD player ($40ish) connected to the projector there are scattered horizontal white bars 3" - 4" above the top of the image.

When I hook my personal 7 - 8 year old Oppo thru the composite cables they go away. I purchased a new, more expensive DVD player ($100ish) with composite hookups and the white bars were still there.

I cant use HDMI because I need to seperate the sound so it's routed thru our sound board.

Can you guys help me figure this out? Is there a $100ish DVD player that will eliminate the bars?

Thanks!
Trvlngnrs
That is the closed caption signal and it looks like both fields are being combined by the projector. Will be there with composite and S video. Use HDMI or the component video (RGB jacks). You will also get better picture quality as well, especially important when using a large screen.

·
Premium Member
Bedroom: 50-in 1080p LCD, XG1v4 (Ultra HD DVR for Comcast), BD Player; Office: 32-in LCD, etc.
2,421 Posts
Does the DVD player have an option to turn off line 22 /closed caption on the DVD player?

If not, maybe you may have to do what we advise against: enable overscan, or (for some TVs) do a slight zoom (which is what overscan is anyway) so that the closed caption line is off screen.

Some systems may kill sound on the stereo L & R connectors when there is an HDMI connection, some don't. If you give it a try, set the audio tract stereo on the player, which would increase the odds that it will work.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you everyone for your suggestions! I will use your advice to tweak the settings to see if that helps. The DVD player doesn't have a headphone jack, so my idea is out.

I'd love to use the HDMI connection, but I have to be able to separate the sound so it goes to the soundboard instead of the projector.

Trvlngnrs

1 - 7 of 7 Posts