AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had been convinced I was going to paint my ceiling tiles Black/dark blue when I got them. However I have recently seen a number of pictures of home theatres using regular white tile and they look just fine, especially when the lights are out/low.

Are white ceiling tiles really that bad?

·
Registered
832 Posts
My screen is in a shallow "alcove" which used to have white/gray walls. changing the walls to black matte velvet made a huge impact on performance. before, the light spilling off the screen was down right distracting. Everything now seems more defined and certainly less washed out. I'm very glad to have black tiles on the ceiling and black fabric surrounding my "screen well".

Eric.

·
Registered
684 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pestario
I had been convinced I was going to paint my ceiling tiles Black/dark blue when I got them. However I have recently seen a number of pictures of home theatres using regular white tile and they look just fine, especially when the lights are out/low.

Are white ceiling tiles really that bad?
A nice dark border around the screen helps a lot, but I have a light colored ceiliing and it presents no problems during movies. A lot of people have light colored ceilings so draw your own conclusion... But again a nice fat dark border area around the screen goes a long way.

- Cryo

·
Registered
728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw a post earlier were someone had a link to a place to order black radar ceiling tiles, any idea were that site is?

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
I'm in Atlanta and I had such a hard time locating black ceiling tiles.

I ended up getting someone to spray paint them for me.

I have heard this is a no no because it modifies the acoustical properties.

I was to the point where that's what I wanted.

I kept getting the run around in Atlanta.

In a dedicated theater I prefer a dark ceiling whether it's sheetrock or ceiling tiles.

If it's a media room or lobby then I think white tiles are fine.

In the end, it's up to you because you are footing the bill.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Have you looked at USG's Silet Squares??

With a 70 nrc and GOM fabric already on the tiles??

Look here: Silent Square

Or even look here for the complete listing with links to the picture and catalog for the tiles. Do a ctrl+f and then type in Radar... The Silent Squares are at the bottom.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.