AVS Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wonder why manufacturers don't make more white colored projectors. I can understand that in a blackened, dedicated, home theater room a black or dark grey pj looks fine, but I think that in a typical family room with white ceiling, a white pj is much better looking mounted on the ceiling, as it doesn't stand out as much. I hope manufacturers address this, and provide more white choices. Currently, Epson seems to be the only one that gets this (among the major brands).

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Right you are, TF Ghost.

I was looking for 1080P 3-LCD projectors, hence those did not enter into consideration. Sanyo also has a couple of white and partially white ones.

Still, the overwhelming majority seem to be dark colored, hence the lament!

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I agree an AE3000 would look awful in someone's living room...

I've also read posts from people complaining about white cases in their bat caves...I'm guessing the number of people with dedicated home theaters outnumber the ones without...or they could just be more vocal...

·
Registered
345 Posts
I know I hate it, my last CRT (NEC PG9+) was off white so I painted it black and loved it. My last Panasonic pta500was dark gray and look nice but my newest AX200 is bright white and I hate it, does not stand out ha!
I don't dare to paint it like I did my CRT!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So what's your point? Looks like you have a darkened theater room for which a black proj is obviously more suitable. Did I say anything different? I am talking about what stands out in a normal well lit white ceiling living room during the 99% of the time when one is not watching a movie!

·
Registered
19 Posts
I'm certain that many have based their final purchasing decision on the color of the case. Going with what fit their room best.

I wish that the manufacturers would ship projectors with interchangable white and black enclosures. It's just plastic! Give us both. Black for the "bat cave" folks and white for those of us stuck with multipurpose family rooms.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sorry I just was pointing out that both a white and black case should be available on all Home theater PJ's.

·
Registered
143 Posts
To the contrary i hate white colored PJs. They look so cheapish in build due to the color. Like a plastic bucket thing. Black and dark grey etc lends a much more professional and serious tone to the unit. But i hate to see the majority of Optomas etc come in white. It stands out instead of being subtle and receding. Just my opinion though.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by falconstein /forum/post/16965950

I'm certain that many have based their final purchasing decision on the color of the case. Going with what fit their room best.

I wish that the manufacturers would ship projectors with interchangable white and black enclosures. It's just plastic! Give us both. Black for the "bat cave" folks and white for those of us stuck with multipurpose family rooms.

I've also often wondered why they don't do this. Especially since some of these PJ cost tens of thousands of dollars and are obviously going into very expensive houses. It's hard to image that manufacturing some extra cases would be an outragoues expense.

Anyway. I don't think I'd have the nerve to paint a PJ.

Perhaps you could do a good enough job with wallpaper or contact paper to get the color you want and have it not look embarassingly cheesy.

·
Registered
4,894 Posts
I should have thought of this in the last post, but Monokote (which is used for covering model airplane frames) would be capable of providing a very professional looking finish.

The downsides are it takes some experience to make the seams almost invisible, it's expensive and it requires a special teflon coated iron and lot of razor blades.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
My projector must work in a multi-purpose room with a white ceiling. My projector is white and blends into the room with the lights on. When the lights are off, you can't see it and nobody is looking at it. It looks professional to me, works well in my room, and gives me 8 feet of home theater joy.

The only PJ that looks like junk regardless of color is the Ox Pro.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yes but im seriously thinking of getting my HD70 spray painted a mat/dull black, only on the top plastic white body, the silver on the sides lending a good dual tone color to it. Is this possible ? Are there paints which dont peel and come off the slick smooth plastic surface ? Has anyone tried this ?

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Rust-oleum has a new universal formula spray paint that will stick to anything - especially things you didn't want painted.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts