Listening session (other speakers are Audes'es):

Coils: Jantzen, caps: Mundorf Evo Aluminium.Oil:

Painting:

Genius at work (not me):

Makes the Monitor Audio BX2 look small:

One is done:

And one more:

Quick measurement, on the couch:

Overall, fantastic sounding little speakers.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That stand is 100% kid-proof - solid ash tree, diameter 40cm, height 80cm, weight ~100kg. Probably will paint it white aswell.

I have built and owned a ton of speakers - 4-way, 3-way, ribbons, Accutons, Seas Excel etc. Often these speakers are extremly complex builds (or insanely expencive) - separate midrange compartments, notch filters, crossovers as big as A4 paper.

I wanted simple yet great sounding speaker that would have some directivity and would blend nicely with a low tuned subwoofer. Gonna build at least 10 of these - 2 for the kids room, 2 for the bedroom, 2 for the PC room and 4 for the living room. Then matching center and 4 angled ceiling speakers.

I wanted to keep the cost per speaker under 300 eur. Crossover was made by a local crossover guru who has helped me before. Crossover is very simple, 2nd/3rd order design, crossed over at 1900Hz.

I really like how these speakers sound. I usually prefer slightly brighter sounding speakers, so Scanspeak R2604/833000 ring radiator was selected. Woofer is Seas U18RNX/P. Highs are exceptional, at least as good as Seas Millenium. Low end is pretty good aswell. Midrange is decent - male vocal could be a bit clearer. In a speaker store, I would easily be willing to pay 1500-2000 eur for a pair of these.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts