AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So what's the consensus on white segment on/off ?? I have it turned off right now.

Are there any cases where the white segment turned on gives a better PQ?

·
Registered
5,132 Posts
Checking it on increase brightness but lessen contrast. So if you're watching with lights on, checking it on may help improve brightness. Watching it with it on in dark is too bright in my opinion. Image appears washed out a bit with less contrast.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I prefer watching movies and other video sources with the white segment off. The only time I have it on is when I'm using the PJ with a Windows desktop in high ambient light conditions. For example, I hosted this year's fantasy football draft at my place (in the home theater) and the CBS Sportsline site looked nice and bright with the white segement on.

Kirk

·
Registered
2,091 Posts
The other thing I have noticed is with white segment off, colors are more saturated and realistic.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Currently, I have my white segment turned on. For me having the segment on, but the brightness setting turned lower seems to increase the shadow detail.

This is not definitive, just what I've been playing around with lately.

-Dean.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
Currently, I have my white segment turned on. For me having the segment on, but the brightness setting turned lower seems to increase the shadow detail.

This is not definitive, just what I've been playing around with lately.

-Dean.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Take a look at Thumper's postings concerning the LT150 with white segment on and off. With it on he has measured contrast ratio at 1000:1 and with it off at 600:1 - both extremely good for just about any pre 16:9 DLP. For the good transfers (and most recent transfers are very good) I am now leaving the white segment on and with the screen I am using I am getting a great image - don't forget I am using an ISCO II anamorphic lens and this might improve shadow detail just by itself! If a transfer exhibits "crawlies" and other video noise then I switch it to off.

Part of the fun of this hobby is experimenting - try different settings and see what you like - it's your HT so you're the boss. Let me know what you prefer and if you're trying other settings pass them on and I'll give them a try.

Cheers,

Grant

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
If you want to maintain even color temperature across the greyscale range, white segment must be off. Contrast ratio will suffer a bit, but your colors will be more natural and more accurate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.