AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope I will not get into too much trouble for asking but I have would like to get a suggestion for a good surround sound. I have been digging around the internet and forums for a good amount of time and cannot find a solid read on what to get for my family room.

I will be using this system for everyday TV watching, music and movies. However, this will not be my home theater which I plan to build in the next year or two when my budget allows. I currently have some great B&W/Klipsch speakers but they are black and too big for this room per my wife. I don’t care if it is a HT in box or build my own system. I have looked at Energy, Martin Logan, Pioneer..etc which are either not wall mountable don’t come in white. (Trying to appease my wife). The only thing I have come into which hits all factors are the Definitive Tech 600 and the Polk OWM however, I have read mixed reviews on both. Is there anything better out there? Again biggest requirement is they are smaller wall mount and white.

Budget: $500-700 (I have a sub I can use unless it is a HT in a box and comes with it like the Def Tech 600)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V675

Room Size: 13x20 w/Hardwood floor

Also, I cannot have in wall speakers due to wall thickness limitations (brick house) and don’t want ceiling speakers.

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you don't want the sub and want better performing speakers than the ProCinema 600 package check out DefTech's 'unofficial' refurb seller HERE. Lots of great reviews of that seller in the dedicated DT threads

1 PC1000 & 4 PM800 will be around $500. I don't see any white PM800s in stock now, but you can either wait or shoot them an email.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Interestingly I have the same receiver you do, and also white speakers. They no longer make them but you can find them used on EBAY, and they are very WAF friendly. They are the Rock Solids by B and W. I forgot the model number I have, but they have a bracket built into a ball and socket joint that makes them wall mountable, and they are pretty small that if you don't put the screws into a stud they still will stay on the walls, and they sound pretty decent treble-wise. Although they have been around for over 25 years, they still sound pretty good to me.:p

·
Registered
4,594 Posts
Axiom on walls, or even their book shelf mounted using their full metal bracket. I replaced my polks with Axiom and would never go back.

Bunch of white book shelves in their B stock right now

My woman loves the on walls. Built in hanger, hang it like a picture and no wires. She wants more

free shipping

http://www.axiomaudio.com/deals/b-stock?page=7

SVS makes a gorgeous looking Bookshelf in white, but its $$$ and I have no idea what it sounds like.
http://www.svsound.com/speakers/ultra-series/ultra-bookshelf

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If you don't want the sub and want better performing speakers than the ProCinema 600 package check out DefTech's 'unofficial' refurb seller Lots of great reviews of that seller in the dedicated DT threads

1 PC1000 & 4 PM800 will be around $500. I don't see any white PM800s in stock now, but you can either wait or shoot them an email.
Thanks for pointing me this link. I would rather have the 800's but they were over my budget until now. Do you have experience with these?

·
Registered
9,808 Posts
I hope I will not get into too much trouble for asking but I have would like to get a suggestion for a good surround sound. I have been digging around the internet and forums for a good amount of time and cannot find a solid read on what to get for my family room.

I will be using this system for everyday TV watching, music and movies. However, this will not be my home theater which I plan to build in the next year or two when my budget allows. I currently have some great B&W/Klipsch speakers but they are black and too big for this room per my wife. I don’t care if it is a HT in box or build my own system. I have looked at Energy, Martin Logan, Pioneer..etc which are either not wall mountable don’t come in white. (Trying to appease my wife). The only thing I have come into which hits all factors are the Definitive Tech 600 and the Polk OWM however, I have read mixed reviews on both. Is there anything better out there? Again biggest requirement is they are smaller wall mount and white.

Budget: $500-700 (I have a sub I can use unless it is a HT in a box and comes with it like the Def Tech 600)

Receiver: Yamaha RX-V675

Room Size: 13x20 w/Hardwood floor

Also, I cannot have in wall speakers due to wall thickness limitations (brick house) and don’t want ceiling speakers.

Thanks in advance!
NHT (Absolute Zero?) is a good choice. Also, look at Cambridge Audio Minx 11, 12, 21, 22 .....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Thanks for pointing me this link. I would rather have the 800's but they were over my budget until now. Do you have experience with these?
I've listened to the PM800s at BestBuy and my buddy's house, but don't own them. They put out a good amount of sound and bass for their size. I have the old version of the ProCin 600 package, the ProCin 60, but upgraded the center channel to the PC1000 and upgraded the sub as well. Overall, I'm pretty happy with this current set up, but will eventually upgrade the L/R to either the PM800 or SM45s.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Do you have these or have heard them? They are perfect size and price. If I went this direction I would get 4 and probably a different center channel.

I have them in my current setup as surrounds. All my fronts are Ascend Sierra 2's. The Polk sounds OK to my ears as surrounds. The Sierra 2's are superior but not fair comparing $1,500 a pair speakers to the OWM5 at $200 a pair.

·
Banned
5,866 Posts
White side/surround speakers are a good idea, as they blend in the walls so pretty invisible.

However white speakers for fronts, center, and subwoofer? Not a chance.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
White side/surround speakers are a good idea, as they blend in the walls so pretty invisible.

However white speakers for fronts, center, and subwoofer? Not a chance.
I agree in most cases but my cabinet is white and if i mount them on the wall we have light colored walls. The sub is a different story. I am not sure how many people would have white floors to match.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
As recommended in post - the Focal Sib, and they come in white.
Their built in stand allows for shelf or wall mounting - a good deal.

I really like the look of these. They would be a great fit between the wall and ceiling or angled towards the center of the room (couch). I think i am going to listen to these as there is a dealer in the Chicago area. I especially like that they have 5" speakers. The downside would be that I would have to get a center channel as i don't think it would be sufficient.

·
Registered
19,559 Posts
I really like the look of these. They would be a great fit between the wall and ceiling or angled towards the center of the room (couch). I think i am going to listen to these as there is a dealer in the Chicago area. I especially like that they have 5" speakers. The downside would be that I would have to get a center channel as i don't think it would be sufficient.
Well, you can always try the Sib as a center speaker

There was a larger Sib XL speaker - it can be used horizontal as a center.
And also came in white - this image is black
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/71+nq68GJxL._SL1500_.jpg

1 - 20 of 25 Posts