AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna try and make this short. I've had these Denmark e830lr,s floors speakers for 8 years, I bought them for $100 dollars off a friend, who bought them from some dude in a parking lot. They sound great, music, movies, people tell me how good they sound. Curiously I googled the model number and bam, white van this scam that, junk speakers, my alarm clock sounds better etc. So now I'm thinking, either I actually bought decent speakers, or me and anyone who has commented on my system is deaf and doesn't know what good sound is.


I have a $250 Sony receiver, Bose center and Bose surrounds and the 2 floorspeakers.


I don't have a subwoofer but when I do a THX sound test, the denmarks will rumble during the subwoofer portion it puts out solid base and you can def hear acoustics. What's more likely, me and my friends haven't heard real speakers? Or these denmarks can actually sound decent? When I say decent I don't mean they sound like $400 speakers.


Thanks for any input
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,649 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartcle /forum/post/18165279


...I actually bought decent speakers

No.
Quote:
...or me and anyone who has commented on my system...doesn't know what good sound is.

Possible. My experience is many folks don't know what a good home system sounds like because they have never heard one. It could also be your friends are humoring you so as not to hurt your feelings.
Quote:
...these denmarks can actually sound decent?

The only important thing is if they sound good to you. Hey, they only cost $100. What do you expect?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
8,744 Posts
Maybe they are not so bad. I have heard it said that it costs just as much to make a good speaker as it does a bad one. Perhaps not much care went into the design and manufacturer of the speaker, but, as an anomaly, it ended up sounding good anyway. But perhaps it is being thought of as a good speaker, because the poster has no decent point of reference, after all, so many think bose speakers sounds great. I think that likely they don't sound bad, but put next to a really good speaker it's shortcomings will become apparent.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,637 Posts
It seems like you haven't heard a good speaker system. If you actually heard a good system you wouldn't still have those speakers. The Bose are about as good as the White Van speakers.


You speaker system is better than a TV speaker. And if your friends know as much about audio as mine do, your system would be great to them too. Ignorance is bliss. I warn you not to listen to better systems unless you want to upgrade. Not because your system is total trash but you may actually find a speaker that has a sound you will prefer. All speakers sound different and everyone likes different speakers for different reasons.


I could spend $2000 on a system and not like it. I could spend $500 and love it. I prefer warmer speakers and anything that isn't just doesn't sound as good to me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
411 Posts
If you're happy with them, good for you. However, like others said, if you go to a decent audio shop and listen to some other speakers, they're probably going to put yours to shame. Just googling the name "Denmark speakers" brings up a ton of scam stories. One of the stories notes that the local "distributor" buys them for $100/pair and resells them for minimum of $200. I doubt there's any high quality parts in there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts
As someone who owns expensive floorstanding speakers finished in real cherry made by a prestigious manufacturer, lemme say this: There's something downright friggin' cool about having "white van" speakers and liking them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,011 Posts
I have to admit, my wife's cousin asked me to listen to his speakers, and I did... blindly...

My comments were that the frequency response wasn't too bad, but there was a lot of distortion... I asked what they were, he didn't remember, so he took the grill off so I could see... white van... His jaw dropped when I asked him which parking lot he bought them in...

So if you're playing TV through them, and people listening are only used to listening to TV speakers, they'll sound good... if people are used to listening to small speakers that don't reach into bass, they may sound good... if people are used to listening to compressed mp3 audio, they may sound good...

The question always is what are the people listening comparing them too?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So you guys are saying if I were to purchase these floorspeakers from best buy, $160 for the pair I will see a noticeable increase in sound quality?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+8...&skuId=8289238


Looks like im gonna have to go to best buy and hear what "good" speakers sound like. How much would you say you would have to spend on middle of the road floor speakers? Price per speaker?
 

·
Registered
Revel M22 & C32, JBL P520WS, Revel W563 & Infinity ERS 110II, SVS SB-2000 (x2), Anthem MRX 720
Joined
·
750 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartcle /forum/post/18167604


So you guys are saying if I were to purchase these floorspeakers from best buy, $160 for the pair I will see a noticeable increase in sound quality?
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+8...&skuId=8289238

Looks like im gonna have to go to best buy and hear what "good" speakers sound like. How much would you say you would have to spend on middle of the road floor speakers? Price per speaker?

Don't think those Sony's are what the other posters are suggesting. There are some good speakers at best Buy, however. Don't count on getting much of an idea how they'll sound at home.


Best budget towers I know of are the Infinity Primus P362. They occassionally go on sale at Fry's. This authorized reseller will give you a pair for $300 plus shipping: http://www.theaudiovideosource.com/InfinityPrimus.html . Many think these are one of the best values out there--that you'd have to spend much more to get better measured performance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,495 Posts
Agreed Sony and Bose speakers are sub par. I would honestly keep what you have rather than waste any money on Sonys. Klipsch, JBL, Polk, Def Tech, BIC Acoustech and Paradigm and many more higer end companies have good speakers. If you want better speakers than what you have for cheap, I would recommend Polk Monitor 70's from newegg.com for $229 each for the fronts. Polk CS2 for Center, and Monitor 30s or 40s for surrounds. Subwoofer go with an Internet Direct company.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
722 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartcle /forum/post/18167604


Looks like im gonna have to go to best buy and hear what "good" speakers sound like. How much would you say you would have to spend on middle of the road floor speakers? Price per speaker?

Dude, I swear to you, if you were heretofore happy with the White Vans, then I think you should stick with the White Vans. This hobby will eat you up, and maybe you're actually the smartest guy here.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone /forum/post/18167947


Dude, I swear to you, if you were heretofore happy with the White Vans, then I think you should stick with the White Vans. This hobby will eat you up, and maybe you're actually the smartest guy here.

I'm with this guy. If they sound good to you and they sound good to your friends, why spend money to replace what you're happy with?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts
Take em apart, i want to see pictures. WHat do the drivers look like?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I hope you dont mean physically take them apart, because that I would be able to do in confidence, at least being aple to put back together, but here you go
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
625 Posts
No,stay away from "sony'. I had 3 set of sony speakers and they sounded like crap even on a decent pioneer receiver.! but that's your own choice
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartcle /forum/post/18167604


So you guys are saying if I were to purchase these floorspeakers from best buy, $160 for the pair I will see a noticeable increase in sound quality?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+8...&skuId=8289238


Looks like im gonna have to go to best buy and hear what "good" speakers sound like. How much would you say you would have to spend on middle of the road floor speakers? Price per speaker?

Best Buy is a horrendous place to audition ANY speaker IMO whether they even sell a capable speaker is irrelevant. And furthermore, I doubt those cheap Sonys would sound any better than White Van speakers (yes I've heard White Van speakers before - friend got a pair for free from someone and thought they sounded equal to any of Best Buys low end gear). A better place to get a good idea of a higher level of sound is a local high-end dealer. They'll normally have a more ideally setup system than a store like Best Buy (which IMO is worst case scenario regardless of the actually quality of the speaker).


If you're happy with what you have, then I would simply enjoy them until you feel an actual need to step it up and not just because a bunch of strangers on a internet forum put them down. But don't be delusional that you'll hear proper sound at Best Buy... Go somewhere that actually sets up a system more properly.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,486 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartcle /forum/post/18169095


I hope you dont mean physically take them apart, because that I would be able to do in confidence, at least being aple to put back together, but here you go

Yeah thats what i mean, unscrew the drivers so we could see the actual drivers, maybe the crossover if it has one, maybe see if its also seperated between the 2 larger drivers, wood thickness of the cabnet and bracing.


You dont have to though, i just thought it might help to tell how good the drivers were.


Those dont actualy look to bad IMO the drivers look similar to the jamo S406
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,721 Posts
I agree with this...

If you're happy with what you have, then I would simply enjoy them until you feel an actual need to step it up and not just because a bunch of strangers on a internet forum put them down... (and FWIW I am another one that has spent thousands on this stuff)


Since the OP does not seem comfortable with 'messing' with the speakers I don't think it is in his best interest to suggest taking them apart.


I think they look pretty nice myself.

If you have already been influenced by the forum and feel like you "need" to get better speakers I would vote for the Infinity Primus P362 referenced above. At $300 a pair these are hard to beat.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
60 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Brownstone /forum/post/18167947


Dude, I swear to you, if you were heretofore happy with the White Vans, then I think you should stick with the White Vans. This hobby will eat you up, and maybe you're actually the smartest guy here.

Yeah, give a wide berth to any store selling hifi gear. 12 months ago I had an Onkyo S6100 HTIB system and was like, "damn, I'm never gonna have to replace this stuff. Best investment ever."


Got a job running a new BB instrument dept, and accidentally walked into a Magnolia department. The rest is history.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks to everyone giving their input/insight. After mulling around this forum I realized sound is truly unbiased,unique, your point of view, reference and frame of mind. I dont think my sytem is crap, but I wonder what I am missing?


I was not going go to Best Buy to buy $160 sony speakers, but when I do upgrade down the road, what does the average person spend on floor speakers? without a sub because I may be renting?
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top