AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From most that I've read, conventional wisdom is that a white screen is a great choice for CRT and digital in a light controlled room with very limited ambient light, otherwise go with grey.

Well in my dedicated room which has no windows, black carpet, black ceiling and dark taupe walls (flat sheen), I tested a relatively large sample of Stewart Studiotek 130 versus my existing Dalite HCCV screen. Exiting screen is 235:1, 8'wide and 4' away from each of the sidewalls. I do not have any lights on when watching a movie. My projector is Phelps calibrated JVC HX2U which has light output of approximately 500 lumens and a contrast ratio of about 1200:1.

Well to cut to the chase, I preferred the Dalite HCCV which surprised me. In comparison to the HCCV, it was slightly more washed out. I felt that I was losing contrast with the Studiotek 130.

I can only come to one of two conclusions and maybe it's a combination of both. First, that my room has more ambient light than I think, and it's too much for a white screen. Second, 1200:1 is not high enough contrast for a white screen.

Thinking now that I should test the greyhawk and the firehawk. Thoughts?

·
Registered
838 Posts
I know what you are thinking about the grey screen: it does a good job absorbing or deflecting ambient light so it is best with ambient light. But I have also heard alot of people say that grey is good in a completely light controlled room, too. For the reason that you just said: contrast. In a light controlled room 500lumens is plenty to project onto a grey screen and still get a bright picture. This is mostly from what I have read and not personal experience. I spend WAY too much time reading on here.

I am in the process of making the same decision as you. My budget is lower :( , but I am still choosing between white and grey.

·
Registered
9,769 Posts
I've really enjoyed the HCCV.

read White Grey Silver below

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.