AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so I'm seriously considering moving to front projection when I move into my new place. The pj I'll probably go with is the AE100 (replacing my Toshiba 50H81, which I plan to sell before I move) as it will fit my budget. The problem is that my new apartment has white walls and ceilings. Will this be a serious issue? Will I have to get a grey screen? If the latter, does anyone know a good inexpensive grey screen? The added complication is that the screen needs to be a pulldown as it will be hanging in front of a wall of windows. I don't do very much daytime viewing at all, and I imagine that curtains would be closed anyway if I did. Does this sound like an insurmountable problem to you pj and AE100 experts? Re-painting is NOT a possibility as my future landlord has already nixed that idea--it was the second question I asked, after "Can I install my satellite dish?" (yes to sat, not to non-white walls). Any advice or help appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,538 Posts
I have white walls and ceiling (though a dark wood floor) and a marantz dlp/firehawk and it workss great. Not sure of the light output of the marantz v the ae100, but the firehawk makes a big difference. It tends to bounce light back at the viewer (as opposed to around the room), minimizing reflections off the walls and ceiling. unfortunately they're not cheap.

A couple thoughts on the curtains/window issue. First, make sure the curtains completely block the light. I have roller shades which are opaque. However, even the small amount of light that gets through the cracks around the edge can impact the picture b/c of the second problem: the screen itself is not opaque. Light that shines in from behind the screen is very noticeable and more problematic for the picture - moreso than ambiant light in the room. I'm currently thinking about an ultrasuede curtain (deep red like movie theaters...) to completely cover the window wall while watching movies.

TM

·
Registered
275 Posts
Tony, is the leaking light from the side that big of a problem? I have two standard windows and two french doors on the same wall of my room but at a 90 degree angle to the screen. I installed heavy black sunscreens on the outside and solid dark wood miniblinds on the inside. I still have minimal leakage around the edges, not enough to read by but certainly enough to see. Will this be a problem with a setup similar to yours?

·
Registered
1,876 Posts
CMarkey, I use my Marantz/Firehawk combination during the day with only semi-opaque curtains. I can easily read during the movie. The image isn't nearly as good as it is at night but I prefer it to any RPTV. With my DIY white Parkland screen the same conditions made the image unwatchable.

BUT I bought a relatively small 82" Firehawk just to be able to view with the maximum ambient light possible. Even in the evening my wife prefers to watch with a dim light on so she can read, do needlework, play with the dogs, etc.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Tony, thanks for the reply. I suspect the windows behind the screen will be a real pain--especially during the day, but I don't usually watch anything in daylight except on weekends, and even that's pretty rare. I'll definitely get opague roller shades and I've been toying with getting theatrical drapery for curtains anyway, so maybe this will be a good time for it. Compounding the issue is the fact that along one wall I have a pair of french doors leading to, of all things, a sun room! At the back of the main room, I have an opening into a dining room that is also lined with windows on one side too (aarrgghh!)--it's a very loft-like space, which is very nice, but a real pain in the butt for HT applications. I guess that's what I get for wanting my cake and eating it too! I'm hoping to see a live demo of an AE100 to see how it stands up to ambient light leakage.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
I don't know if any of the AVS preferred companies deal with theatrical drapery, but I got mine (double faced commando black) at Pacific Northwest Theatrical Associates. They were great to deal with and very quick turnaround. They are at pnta.com. Bulk fabric price list at http://www.pnta.com/dog2002/drapes/37.PDF

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.