AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Over the past couple of weeks I have notice a white half oval at the top of my screen. I have tried to move the image away from the half oval but I am clueless on how to do this on a g70. Although it is only visible on dark scenes it is an annoyance. How do I get rid of the line or how am I supposed to move the image away from the line? I am attaching a picture to show what is happening.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
It's the retrace line of the ABK system in the G70. You can turn that system off, BUT that typically drops your light output tremendously and makes a mess of your grayscale. Lower scan frequencies let the line be more peripheral, but you'll probably decide to just "live with it."

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Guy hit the nail on the head.

I believe that there was an improvement on the later firmware G70's like 1.11 or higher.

Terry

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the same problem with my D50. I talked to a Sony technician and he recommended turning off the auto function and then recalibrating the grayscale. Is it not possible to restore light level output after turning this off?

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
The adjustment range for bias and gains isn't wide enough to compensate fully for turning off the AKB system. I've heard of some machines being able to do it, but normally, no. You lose considerable light output.

·
Registered
29 Posts
If it's true that one can generally expect to see a bowed white line at the top of the picture with these projectors, why is this not a dealbreaker? Why is it so rarely mentioned?

I certainly would never have chosen to purchase a projector that had the drawback, yet there is almost no discussion of it on this forum, even though the responses to this post indicate that it's not a rare occurence.

The response seems to be that people should "live with" or "get used" to having a strange bowed white line superimposed over every movie they watch.

I certainly will never get used to this, nor can I live with it. It's no less distracting than if the projector were severely misconverged, or if I accidentally painted a big red splotch in the center of the screen.

Is the visible AKB line just a problem with Sony projectors, or all projectors that use this technology?

I was considering replacing tubes in my Sony d50, but if there's no way to avoid a big bowed white line superimposed over the picture, then I can't conceive of keeping this projector.

·
Registered
139 Posts
I owned a D50 for a number of years and now a G70.

I run an 84" wide 16:9 screen.

And do not have a line on my screen, its slightly above.

If your projector is the right distance from the sceen and you mask above your screen with black velvet, you will not see this line or should not.

Regards

Richard

·
Registered
3,502 Posts
Both the G70 and D50 have this problem. The machines don't blank the AKB line during retrace an that appears as the faint curved line you see. Your only recourse is to reduce the scan frequency. The lower the line count and scan frequency the less the line dips into the active image area.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.