AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I understand that they usually have some of the rarer and hard to find DVDs, but that still is no justification for paying $30 for a $20 DVD.

Their prices are just ridiculous!

As mass-merchandisers continue to expand their DVD selections (at the sacrifice of CDs) it is becoming less and less reasonable to buy DVDs from the specialty stores.

I remember buying 'Mr. Bean: The Complete Bean' DVD set from Suncoast for $39.99 which was apparently on sale from $49.99.

But a week later I found it at my local Circuit City at regular price for $34.99 and at Costco for $29.99!!!

I never really bought DVDs from these stores (like 2 or 3 a year), but now I NEVER will!

If you still buy or don't buy from the stores mentioned in the topic, please explain why?

Thanks!

(p.s. I also hear that a good few of them are bankrupt or something)

·
Registered
1,877 Posts
I never buy from them, CD, DVD or otherwise. Their prices are so ridiculously high, I don't know how they stay in business.

Even their sale prices are higher than everyone else, not to mention their exhorbitant pricing on regular priced items.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Walmart has become such a powerful force, that they have strong influence on the studios. When the price is close, within say $5 or so, I go with Sam Goody. They are usually very close to walmart when it comes to new releases. I would rather support smaller businesses than give more money, power, and control to the growing monopoly that is walmart.

·
Registered
10,898 Posts
I recently bought Somewhere In Time from Suncoast because we were going on vacation to Mackinac Island and wanted to see this movie again before we went, and there was no way I could get it shipped to me in time. Originally I thought I could rent it, but there wasn't a copy to be rented within a reasonable distance, so I bought it. BTW, I paid about $10 more than I could've ordered it. In a situation like this it was a no brainer, but ordinarily I wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
912 Posts
I certainly never buy from these stores. I have wondered the same thing myself. Rare and hard-to-find releases seem to be available on EBay, etc. I usually rent DVDs. That way, I have the largest DVD collection on AVS Forum: I call it NetFlix, Inc. They have DVDs to me within 72 hours, virtually any title I choose.

When I buy DVDs, I go to EBay or amazon.com because I love not having to deal with overpaid, disinterested kids to buy DVD software.

·
Banned
1,749 Posts
I buy from Tower sometimes because it is convenient in location. I always check on the net before I go. If you find the DVD on their website and print out the page to show them, they will honor the web price. I would rather pay an extra $2 than drive another 15 to 20 miles(Round Trip) to the nearest BB or CC. Most of the time I order from Deep Discount DVD.

·
Registered
936 Posts
Yeah, how Suncoast stays in business amazes me considering their high mall rent. Frankly, I feel that way about all mall shops. Overpriced merchandise. I am not a terribly frugal person, but I dislike paying retail.

·
Registered
326 Posts
The last thing I bought at Tower Records was R.E.M.'s Document, on LP, in 1985. I paid $7.99 for it, but it cost at least twice that much back in Ireland, so at the time it was a bargain.

I don't see how those stores stay in business these days.

·
Registered
270 Posts
i went to suncoast to get a calibration/cleaning disc. i also bought batman beyond: return of the joker, and NIN: and all that could have been (dts) there because no one else had those in stock and instant gratification

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Funny you bring up Suncoast....the one in our mall just went out of business. I never bought anything there, I just considered it a showroom to see what I liked then bought it online :D

Flan

·
Registered
462 Posts
Suncoast does however have coupons hidden in those sale flyers usually at the store entrance. There is currently a $5 off coupon for DVD's which at least brings down the price to the big box stores, but with the convienence of a mall location. Suncoast, Sam Goody and Musicland and Best Buy are all part of the same operation.

Note: Many Musiclands' were recently closed, especially inlocations where a Sam Goody already was.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Best Buy no longer owns Musicland (On Cue, Suncoast, Sam Goody, etc). They dumped them off earlier this year after losing money on them last year. Musicland was a money pit. The only companies Best Buy owns now are Best Buy, Magnolia Hi Fi, Futureshop (Canada), and Geek Squad.

SK

·
Registered
685 Posts
Any particular online site you recommend that consistently sells DVDs at a lower price that most others?

I normally buy through Ebay but also do searches in Yahoo shopping mall.

Sean

·
Registered
952 Posts
I occassionally buy at Tower Records.

When I go there for music, I browse their DVD's for sales...once in a while it hits.

However, I never buy from Walmart.

Best Buy or CostCo, and if I can't find it, DVD Empire.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Art Sonneborn
Who Buys at Suncoast ? I think an answer might be the same people who buy books at Barnes and Noble instead of Amazon.

Art
Not true, I shop at Barnes and Noble, because I found out that Waldenbooks is associated with Amazon.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.