AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i checked out the plus piano last night, man were there RAINBOWS!

SOME WHERE OVER THE RAINBOW, BLUEBIRDS FLY, BIRDS FLY OVER

THE RAINBOW WHY O WHY CANT I?

BECAUSE IT GIVES ME A @%$^ HEADACHE THATS WHY!

this is now the 4th dlp i have checked out and they ALL had rainbows

every 20-30 seconds.

lets not kid ourselfs, dlp as it now stands has a VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM.

i wonder how many people who claim that they dont see rainbows

are defending their purchases?

·
Registered
508 Posts
It might have something to do with a person's vision. For example, if you are partially color blind (which is common in men) perhaps that makes you exempt? Lucky color blind folks get to enjoy their DLPs!

·
Registered
578 Posts
I am not color blind and I am not kidding myself. So I ask, "What rainbows?"

Seriously though man, DLP isn't going to be for you. If you want FP, you will have to go with LCD, D-ILA, or CRT. Because for some people, like you, DLP makes their eyes sore, and for others, the size of a CRT unit is an eyesore, others say the screen door is an eyesore, and the fact that D-ILA isn't quite as good as CRT is a sore. No projector is perfect or created equal. Quit complaining and check out your other options.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
just a little frustrated because i dont want the size and problems

of a crt, the dlp are small and cheap but the rainbows drive

me nuts, lcds have screen door and i can not afford dila.

on the other hand all of them look good.

it is as if they need about 2 years to get refined and then

they will not have the small but nagging problems.

maybe it is just that i have a loewe tv at home playing off air hidef

so i know just how kick ass video can look.

·
Registered
4,378 Posts
Unless you have seen a good sampling of DLP projectors, this statement: "dlp as it now stands has a VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM" cannot be taken seriously.

I have seen rainbows, mine has very few. To each his own...

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
if you know of a dlp projector with very few rainbows

please post the info.

why? because for approx 2500 us $ i can pick up a nec lt150.

now if dlp does not have a "serious problem" why would

anyone go with anything but this unit?

·
Registered
288 Posts
If DLP's had a 'serious problem', this forum would not have the number of DLP owners that it does. No one disputes the fact that there are a number of people who see rainbows and it bothers them - in fact it bothers them so much that it is all they talk about rather than go look at another projector technology. However there is a bigger majority of people who are not that sensitive to rainbows and are very happy with their DLP's - and NO WE ARE NOT FRICKIN' COLOURBLIND.

I have had a 27" Sony production monitor for ages that costs (used to anyway) US$1800 that produces the best NTSC picture out there. I know what good image quality looks like. My LT150 can hold its own in comparison to that monitor, and again I know what I am talking about. The 150 has its own drawbacks which are well understood and discussed, but I'd rather watch a movie on a 7 ft wide screen than on my near perfect 27". None of my friends have ever complained about 'sore eyes', 'headaches', or 'feeling the need to hurl' after watching even long films like Lawrence of Arabia. It is comic to read the same people on this forum come on again and again and repeat the same old song about their own personal DLP horror story.

No DLP user on this forum has ever asked anyone here to buy such a technology sight unseen (although I picked up the 150 unseen during the Dell deal). We also aren't DEFENDING our purchases - we have better things to do with our time and have enough money to go get another projector if we need to. However, I am going to defend DLP's against such uninformed propaganda which makes its rounds here fairly regularly.

p.s. Li On - feel free to drop in with your oft-repeated motion dither complaint about single chip DLP's.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Cinemaphile - well said. I've heard of statistics in the range of 80% do not see rainbows and 20% do. I don't know the actual numbers. It is obvious to me that some do and some don't. I demo'ed a Sanyo 9000 and saw no rainbows during "ToyStory" - don't know if animations are better or worse for rainbows. I purchased a HP xb31 sight unseen and have not, nor have any of the 15 or so people that have seen the image, observed rainbows.

I really believe that technology will solve or minimize the rainbow problem. Don't give up on DLP after reviewing the Piano. Check out some of the new generation machines with high speed color wheels and see for yourself. If you indeed have "rainbow-itis", go for a nice quality LCD and start enjoying some movies on the big screen!

·
Registered
4,037 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Cinemaphile
p.s. Li On - feel free to drop in with your oft-repeated motion dither complaint about single chip DLP's.
Don't push it! Or I'm going to curse you to see the artifacts too! :)

On the topic, I don't see DLP rainbow, not even on the LT150.

regards,

Li On

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
imo, there is a difference between seeing (a condtion like rainbows, or any other 'negative quality') and letting that said quality bother you.

i see rainbows, and i'm finally going to have a friend over to watch some stuff next week, and i'm a bit worried how much the picture might bother him.

i'm not going to tell him about rainbows, etc, and he isn't one to concentrate on the negatives anyway.

but he does seem, kind of sensitive sometimes, and does wear contacts, and i worry that the movie-fest i have planned my turn into a bust.

rainbows bothered me with the first 40 hrs.

i was looking for problems, a little concerned about investing thousands of dollars on something that would be torture to live with.

well, once i convinced myself that this was all i would ever be able to afford as far as fp's, i set about trying to live with it, and to my surprise, it has become quite easy to ignore the effect.

there are so many positives to the viewing experience, that if that is what you focus on, that's what you'll focus on.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I have an NEC LT150 and have put about 300 hours on it and have never been bothered by rainbows. Numerous people have been over and watched movies on my 8ft wide screen and no one has ever mentioned being bothered by rainbows.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Bottomline snakeman, no projector is perfect. None. Beyond that, there are different degrees of tolerance with being a projector owner. There are some that can put up with the size of a CRT, others can put up with the cost of a D-ILA, and even more can put up with the screen door. Believe it or not, some DLP owners see rainbows and put up with them,and yes, there are those that don't see them at all. All PJ owners are at varying degress of satisfaction. Then there is the other extreme with the camp of people that would not not even consider a projector at all with respect to maintenance cost and viewing conditions, wife, kids, whatever.

In any case, what ever viewing option we all choose, it is important to be informed when making a major purchase for pure entertainment purposes. Explore your options, ask many questions, but don't insult the intelligence of others for making their informed choices. Especially here. You'll never get any assistance from us that way :).

·
Registered
556 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by snakeman
lets not kid ourselfs, dlp as it now stands has a VERY SERIOUS PROBLEM.

i wonder how many people who claim that they dont see rainbows

are defending their purchases?
Don't see any & have never had a guest over that has mentioned it. Personally I think their all kidding themselves & unless they reveal the truth I'm making them all sit through a showing of the Scorpion King! If your seeing it everyone else must be also, correct? Check six & find a hole snakeman!

Petey

·
Registered
726 Posts
Well, I thought the PLUS Piano had an equivalent of a 4x color wheel and is designed for HT as I thought it didn't have a white segment.

If this is true, then, for now, I suggest people that are this sensitive hold out from the DLP market until newer technologies emerge, or at least comes down to realistic prices. Three-chippers have no color wheel, and of course, there's talk that an "archimedes color wheel" arrangement might help, but both are still aways off for most people.

Those that reject DLP because of what they've seen on something like an LT150 should at least try others as LT150 is a presentation unit with a white segment and a 2x color wheel.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Snakeman,

FWIW, you could try bias lighting (do a search - there are a couple threads). It might help. On my 150z, I can make myself see rainbows if the scene has white lettering on a black backgound (like credits) and I move my eyes really fast from side to side, but that's the only way I can see them. It's much harder for me to see them (under these same conditions) with bias lighting behind the screen (something to do with iris dimension, I guess). Good luck. HNick

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
I remember someone here did a small survey to find out if people that can see flickering on the pc monitor at 60hz or even 75hz are the same that can't stand rainbows...anyone knows the conclusion? I for one can't watch current DLPs but my bro' has no problem at all and he also runs his PC at 60hz! He says I am crazy cause there is no flicker at all but I can't even watch his pc...weird :)

·
Registered
362 Posts
There was a poll awhile back about rainbows. My recollection is that about half of the respondents saw rainbows, and 30% were really bothered by them. Happily, I am in the other half. Never seen one, never tried to see one. Why spoil a good thing? I am not defending my purchase. Had I seen rainbows on my Piano, I would have sent it back during the 10-day trial.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
ckolchak:

"there is a difference between seeing (a condtion like rainbows, or any other 'negative quality') and letting that said quality bother you. "

This is an excellent point, I have an LCD and for that technology it's the screendoor. I've come to believe that some people watch movies and others watch projectors. Not a judgement, just an observation.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.