AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a point really to upgrade your receiver just to hear dolby trueHD? You have to at least spend $1000, and i haven't read a comment yet where it's worth that much money. To me, if you spend more on the quality of a product and how it sounds, and still hook everything via optical that should sound very close, or if not better knowing you have money in your wallet to save until the next super lossless codec comes out.
Maybe i'm wrong, i'm not sure. I thought this would be interesting to see how many people stayed content with what they have or took the plunge and why?

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
You have to at least spend $1000, and i haven't read a comment yet where it's worth that much money.

Not sure where people get that idea...maybe we need a sticky.
Certainly a few hooked their $98 Toshiba A2 into an existing HDMI 1.1 receiver and got TrueHD. Or, you could grab a decent new HDMI audio receiver for $300-$400 and be set for TrueHD. The PS3 decodes it, and so do all dedicated HD-DVD players.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Agreed, you don't have to spend $1000.

As for the difference...can you hear the difference between MP3s ripped at different rates? Rip a track at 192, and the same track at 64 or something like that. Now listen to them back and forth. That should give you some idea.

·
Premium Member
1,421 Posts
I did.

Not for True HD, but for DTS HD variants, as well as many other things. I will use the pretty good Denon 2307CI for a bedroom mini theater and a Pio 94 in the main HT.

·
Registered
491 Posts
There is a sticky in the HD DVD section on Audio FAQs. Very informative!!. All you need is a receiver with HDMI 1.1 and the player decodes and sends the signal to the AVR in the form of PCM rather than bistream. You don't have to spend $1000 to get that. In fact, most AVRs made in the last two years will work fine.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I upgraded my AVR (denon 3801 to 3808ci) when I got my HDTV for 2 reasons:

1. HDMI inputs/ouput

2. lossless audio from BD discs.

I kept my Boston Acoustics, but if you don't take advantage of lossless, you aren't really getting HD. For me the audio is at least as important as the PQ.

YMMV.

·
Registered
13,326 Posts
Uhhh... The Sony's with HDMI audio support have been found at less than 1/4th what your looking at.

but I digress... I agree that if you want a nice decently higher end current model AVR your going to pay $1K-ish....

I would not have upgraded just for lossless, but I was also caught in HDMI switching hell with a non HDMI AVR. The $960 was a bargain for the peace it brought me in that regard alone, lossless was a bonus.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Most new receivers with like 3 hdmi inputs are past $500. Even if the receiver doesn't say trueHD on it, just because it has an hdmi input you will get trueHD?

·
Registered
491 Posts
It is my understanding that all HD DVD players will output trueHD. There are a couple of formats (I don't remember their names offhand) that have to be delivered bitstream and would require an A35 with the AVR doing the decoding. My understanding is that there are no disks using these formats at this time. And won't anytime soon.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Can someone post a link for the cheape$t receiver that will play dolby trueHD? I'm using a PS3 40GB.

LNT4671F

·
Registered
540 Posts
Well here is my story....I got a Toshiba D3 for boxing day for 100$. I needed HDMi since my 1014tx didn`t have any (damn nice receiver). SO I ran out and got a receiver (HK 247). A week later HD-DVD is basically announced to have lost the war. ACK! So i`m kicking myself thinking man I wouldn`t have sold my 1014 and got a Blu-ray player for awhile yet. Anyhow I now have a Marantz sr4002 and for the 100$ price am thinking of keeping the D3 and then get a blu ray player come summer....A whole lot of headache but hopefully worth it....Oh I didn`t want to do analog outs cause I have enough cables in that small space...

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zygon /forum/post/12920959

Can someone post a link for the cheape$t receiver that will play dolby trueHD? I'm using a PS3 40GB.

LNT4671F

The PS3 can't do bitstream yet/ever. So any receiver supporting HDMI/MPCM should work.

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansp6 /forum/post/12921735

Funny you should say that because my PS3 (80gig) does bitstream just fine

What he meant was TureHD bitstream over HDMI. PS3 will decode it and send PCM over HDMI.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Just walked into the house with my new Onkyo 605....Lossless audio was the only reason to replace my perfectly good Pio VSX-816. I am 99.9% sure that when I get it hooked up here shortly, it will be worth every penny...which was nowhere close to $1K, try $422 and some tax, another $30 for a 3rd HDMI cable and future proof lossless for $500.

edit: Yep, It was worth the money. Watched parts of Crank on BD 5.1ch PCM (up tp 7.1) @ 6.1mbps and Tears of the Sun on BD 5.1ch PCM @ 4.6mbps...and the audio seperation, depth and clarity of dialogue was outstanding. Was looking for the bullets in the final fight seen of TotS as I felt like ducking. Off to try out 3:10 to Yuma PCM and Bourne Ultimatum TrueHD.

·
Registered
6,288 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cansp6 /forum/post/12921735

Funny you should say that because my PS3 (80gig) does bitstream just fine

Not for TrueHD, which is what the post referred to. And it doesn't do it over optical, either.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I did.

I bought the Yamaha RX-V2700 in June, but when the RX-V3800 came out, I used Tweeter's 4 month upgrade to change it out. I really needed 4:1 HDMI switching for PS3, Dish, HTPC, XA2 to a AE1000U projector but the HDMI 1.3a spec with bitstreaming HD audio was another reason.

Plus I have a severe case of upgradeitis

J

1 - 20 of 52 Posts