AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why does anyone even care which card they have? I'm puzzled by the high concern but flaky explanations.

I've subscribed to DTV for years, and never given the type of card a single thought. It’s been installed in the receiver and left in one case for the life of the receiver and in the UTV until I got a new card many months ago. That was a 60 second change out.

So why are these folks so unnaturally obsessed by the type of card?

One is hackable the other is not? No, it can't be that as you are not allowed to talk about hacking and every one is honest.

Am I right in assuming that they pay their bills and that if DirecTV pulled the IP addresses and contacted the ISP’s of all those that complained about types cards, their would be no correlation to signal theft?

Seems like a pretty obvious thing for DirecTV to do?

·
Registered
315 Posts
The reason people in the UTV forum are concerned about the type of card is that most of us are awaiting the software update to version 3.7. This update requires the UTV to be upgrade has the P4 access card. If you have the P3 (or HU) card, the 3.7 update won't happen. Beyond that, I don't care what card I have either.

Kevin

·
Registered
174 Posts
As Kevin said, for most of us the main reason we care about the type of card is that the prevailing wisdom is that we'll need a P4 to get 3.7...

However, the other reason that many care about the card type (me included) is that since getting the P4 card, I have missed several recordings due to the infamous "Insert Valid Access Card" messages after power failures, tripped circuits, brownouts, pulled power plug, etc. That was never an issue with the previous access card. I have five (5) UTVs and have been a paying DTV customer since 1996, and got my first UTV in April 2001. My only hacking has been to upgrade the hard drives in a couple of my units.

Circumstantial evidence would indicate that these new cards are possibly more sensitive to power anomalies... maybe that's part of the anti-piracy efforts. I don't know, but I do know that since getting the P4s my UTV's high-availability has taken somewhat of a hit.

It's not like it's the end of the world, but it is annoying. Even though I use a UPS on my primary UTVs, I've still had a few occasions where it seems that the UPS didn't kick in in time, or the power failure outlasted the battery back-up capacity.

Chas.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Going along with what Chas said, I too have had several instances where my unit has had power issues, twice there has been a power outage and my unit would not turn back on. This however was prior to me getting the P4 cards. The box seems to be really sensitive to these things. Now however, I am now somewhat wise to it and know to unplug the box for about an hour and then it works again.

Also, some people are concerned with the whole card issue because they pirate DTV service - when DTV mandates that people use the P4 card because of the software upgrade their hacked H cards and HU cards won't work - as of now, as far as I know, no one has hacked the P4 card - not yet anyway - so this would be a problem for those would be pirates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.