AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi;
The time has come to modify the room I use for audio and HT Before I start with the 1st step, moving my electronics away from the front of the room to a newly constructed closet, I think I need a master plan.
I know a couple of the well known names and wanted to find out whom other AVS'ers have had success with.
I live near NYC if that matters.
Thanks for your suggestions!
bp

·
Premium Member
7,399 Posts
I used Dennis Erskine for mine. It was modified a bit from his plans but it was an excellent base to launch from and I get a lot of compliments on how they were impressed with how it looks, but once they see a movie, they are most impressed with how good it sounds.

Pics in my gallery...

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
A couple good suggestions that I will follow up on

Hi Guys;
Thanks for the 2 recommendations. I recall hearing Dennis Erskine, who I know posts here, on HT Geeks and liked what he said. I will have to contact him.
That Chasen HT done by AcousticSmart looks 1st class! So I will check them out too.
I now have some direction!:)
bp

·
Registered
1,743 Posts

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I just have to say that for those wanting to do 32 channel speaker audio probably the 2 better informed on the acoustical treatments at the moment, due to their participation in the aes session 2 weeks ago are Tony and Keith, we have requested this papers and are also actively investigating. Our TRITON room is fitted with adjustable speaker channels to be able to determine a golden mean to this spacing, That no one will know for some time. This is important criteria when designing a theater because the last thing you want to do is inverst in a 32 channel system and then have the Houston Houston FX;s on gravity Image far away from your head. That would be an utter and complete waste. Si if thinking Immersive worry less about the chair-rails and more about the positioning of your heights, and the acoustical treatments now necessary for it.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
Peter are there any other alternatives to Trinnov being mooted for 32 channels?

Watching with most interest regarding a new way of thinking for AT and ATMOS et al
Hi there. The stock tip would be to invest in RPG. LOL Definitely appears that each surround ceiling position speaker needs to be cradled with bits of diffusion, refraction and absorption around it. Look at the CINERAMA in Washington state, a complete departure from every traditional theater.

Regarding alternatives for trinnov right now is the Dolby CP-850 cinema processor which does do Home Atmos via hdmi, but wont do auro or dts. You could upconvert using DS legacy content. It has the GOLD title at the moment for Atmos in a show with the JBL Synthesis demo.

Or wait for Datasat(24-32-48) and Theta's(24) next boxes.

·
Banned
17,607 Posts
I would add Paradise Theater to this list. I've done many projects with them and their level of work is excellent. They can do just the engineering/acoustical design of the room or they can do the entire project including interior design. We have worked with them in both capacities and have had excellent results.

http://www.paradisetheater.tv
Good addition. Again another company that does not design a Bennigans style home theater, which I welcome. Why would you like your theater looking the same as so many beginnigans like it's beyond me.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
cmont and Elill, Peter too;
That's a great list to work from. And ParadiseTV will be included too!
I started my search trying to find Rives but it appears they have shut down their operations. I know have a great list of resources to select from. Thanks to all of you who have me moving in the right direction.
bp

1 - 13 of 13 Posts