AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got mine today and the transfers look good but I do not have a FR to view these on.

Just wondering what everyones opinion is on picture quality!!

I think I see some EE but Im on a 50" RP and its hard to tell.

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Got it, previewed several scenes, have not watched in entirety. So far, so good. Minimal if any EE. Nice saturation, smooth looking and blacks are better than I thought they'd be. Obviously, BTTF III looks the best since it's the most recent of the films.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
I haven't watched BTTF DVD's yet but I am sure somebody will see some minor EE and post about their outrage at the massive EE and call for a boycott! I think this EE thing is being blown WAY out of proportion in that it totally ruins the viewing experience!

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
FrankS

Im one of those who dont want to see any EE. Period.

Its not in the original source and it should not be added to any duplicates.

They are getting much better than they use to be.

Nothing more irritating when watching a movie 8 feet wide and seeing VHS looking edginess that takes away the smooth film look that it originated from.

I did not spend 10k for a projector to watch VHS quality dvds.

Ill continue to complain until they master their technique.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
FrankS

Im one of those who dont want to see any EE. Period.

Its not in the original source and it should not be added to any duplicates.

They are getting much better than they use to be.

Nothing more irritating when watching a movie 8 feet wide and seeing VHS looking edginess that takes away the smooth film look that it originated from.

I did not spend 10k for a projector to watch VHS quality dvds.

Ill continue to complain until they master their technique.
No one WANTS to see EE but there are those who make posts that say a DVD is pure garbage because it has it! There are very few that are to the point that they are a total distraction but reading all these posts on these forums these days you'd think every DVD released is not worth purchasing with the over-abundance of EE. Now, mind you I am NOT talking about you or this post (which doesn't make the rediculous claims I am talking about). I will say that I do disagree with you that a DVD with EE is VHS or lower quality. I don't think there is a DVD I now of (with the exception of one or two) that approaches the sub-par quality of VHS.

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went through these last night and they look really good.

Yes there are scenes with EE but its not distracting and only at random points.

BTTF 1 looks really good. You would think the opposite being the older of the three.

A big thumbs up!!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
"Obviously, BTTF III looks the best since it's the most recent of the films."

Weren't parts II and III filmed back to back?

I know that they were released just a few months apart.

·
Registered
3,729 Posts
I wish they would release them as individual DVD's. I want 1 & 2 --- but not 3.

The first two are great they way they cross over and work together - part 2 is a work of genius in the way it does this. But part 3... what were they thinking, its a western and a bad one --- It just doesn't fit with the others IMO.

It's the same with the Godfather Trilogy DVD's... though I relented in the end and bought it even though I loath PartIII. The same will probably happen to me with BttF

- Rick

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by TSHA222
"Obviously, BTTF III looks the best since it's the most recent of the films."

Weren't parts II and III filmed back to back?

I know that they were released just a few months apart.
But, there was five years in between 1 and 3 and it shows.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Going to probably pick it up on Tuesday. Been waiting a while for this one. :)

Yeah, too bad about the EE, but BTTF is on DVD! :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Krynos
But part 3... what were they thinking, its a western and a bad one --- It just doesn't fit with the others IMO.
I agree, part 3 just seemed out of place. Although I can't think of a better time period they could've done it in.

·
Registered
1,891 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan Gouger
Rob

What do you mean by framing errors??

Aspect ratio?
It seems that on BTTF 2 & 3 the video has been zoomed in from the original theatrical framing. It's quite different from the original LD's and VERY poor QC by Universal & the Director who signed off on these DVD's!

·
Registered
6,669 Posts
Frank, I agree, but it was Universal who dropped the ball. Their QC seems to be worse than other studios. Remember the 'Jurassic Park' & 'The Lost World' DVD problems? I'm in a quandry on whether to buy the BTTF DVD set today or not. I want these movies bad, but the reported framing & sound errors are pissing me off. Producer Bob Gale is apparently aware of the framing errors, so Universal may reissue these DVDs later & get us to re-buy them. The right thing to do would be to allow current owners to exchange their discs, but that's wishful thinking. Hope they do something about it either way.

·
Registered
6,339 Posts
Alan,

apparently the framing is off. It is zoomed in & too high so it cuts off a lot of the picture at the bottom that should be seen....this has been confirmed on the r2 dvds of part 2 & 3 and I am still hoping the R1 release is ok but I have heard it isn't.

Here are some exmaples

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
I'll live with the framing issues until the next release, if ever. For $33.44 at Walmart, I can't complain for now!

Carey

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.