Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys

A while back,actually a long while there was a bit of a hoopla about Disney and some other studios forcing you to watch the trailers before the movie. (skip button disabled)

Could someone please refresh my memory as to a couple of titles that were like that.

I have been acused of lying about it on another forum yet I know it is true and since I mostly rent I can not remember which titles were involved.

Thanks in advance

Steve

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Energeezer
Guys

A while back,actually a long while there was a bit of a hoopla about Disney and some other studios forcing you to watch the trailers before the movie. (skip button disabled)

Could someone please refresh my memory as to a couple of titles that were like that.

I have been acused of lying about it on another forum yet I know it is true and since I mostly rent I can not remember which titles were involved.

Thanks in advance

Steve
Maybe you were actually at a movie theater? I tried to use my remote to skip the trailers in a theater, but it wouldn't work for some reason (universal remote my rear end!) ;) (Sorry, just being a wiseass!) :D

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No

I Do not go to the theater due to inferior Piq and sound as well as no beer.

I know that at least one of the studios were forcing the trailers a couple of years back. I just can not remember who.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Sounds like another disturbing power trip of Jamie Kellner (ex CEO of Turner Broadcasting)...

"Because of the ad skips.... It's theft. Your contract with the network when you get the show is you're going to watch the spots. Otherwise you couldn't get the show on an ad-supported basis. Any time you skip a commercial or watch the button you're actually stealing the programming". In response to people using devices like TiVo and ReplayTV

He also said you should be locked out of a movie theater if you arrive late and miss the opening trailers to upcoming movies.. some other fantasy statement about manufacturing TV's and Radio's that lockout the changing of channels when advertisements are being played..

Thats just the tip of the iceburg.. this guy is way out in left field..

·
Registered
23 Posts
Most of the Disney DVDs that we have (and that's a lot) don't allow you to use "skip chapter" but they DO allow you to press the Menu button after the first trailer has started to skip to the main menu.

I'm not aware of any that don't allow either mode of skipping.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I almost put my foot through my screen when I tried to watch The Bourn Identity and that idiot Mr. Bean came up on the screen, In Full Screen no less!! Why anyone would put a full screen P.O.S in a widescreen DVD is beyond me. Of course the controls were disabled and i was forced to watch Mr. Bean's trailer stretched horizontally on my 16 X 9 screen until it was finished.

Gus

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
I haven't watched it in a while - it's out of the kids' rotation for the time being - but "Tarzan" was a pain to deal with the trailers. I can't remember how I eventually bypassed them, but I'm pretty sure we were forced to watch something before the movie.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Babe was just released, and you can't get through the trailers on that one either. Thank goodness for the bookmark option in TheaterTek.

·
Registered
809 Posts
All these recently released films make you sit through ads:

The Breakfast Club

Animal House

Sixteen Candles

Three O'Clock High

Weird Science

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
try doing a search - your pride is on the line
Thanks for all the replies.

My pride has been saved and over at the other forum I think they got an eye opener after seeing the links.:D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.