AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Im pretty interested in the Vizio 65" passive 3D LED/LCD being released this week,,,,, but other than the movie theater passive 3D,,,,, I have yet to see in person a passive 3D panel.


I've looked online and cant seem to find ANY reviews at all from anyone that has compared active to passive 3D.


Yes,, I know all the tech stuff and all the claims that passive wont be full HD,,, but I was more interested in real world comparisons instead of opinions or speculation of what the passive will look like.


Anyone out there seen a passive 3D panel and if so what was your opinion of passive vs active ?


Thanks in advance


Cheers

Davyo
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/19634730


Im pretty interested in the Vizio 65" passive 3D LED/LCD being released this week,,,,, but other than the movie theater passive 3D,,,,, I have yet to see in person a passive 3D panel.


I've looked online and cant seem to find ANY reviews at all from anyone that has compared active to passive 3D.


Yes,, I know all the tech stuff and all the claims that passive wont be full HD,,, but I was more interested in real world comparisons instead of opinions or speculation of what the passive will look like.


Anyone out there seen a passive 3D panel and if so what was your opinion of passive vs active ?


Thanks in advance


Cheers

Davyo

The differences:

Each eye gets noticeably different color spectrum.

Slightly more ghosting than in active glasses LCD panels.

Zero ambient light flicker.


Mathew Orman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester /forum/post/0



The differences:

Each eye gets noticeably different color spectrum.

Slightly more ghosting than in active glasses LCD panels.

Zero ambient light flicker.


Mathew Orman

More ghosting? I thought passive was supposed eliminate ghosting?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,170 Posts
Just want to add that this technology is only possible with LED back-lighting. It is due to the fact that the polarity rotator full panel TN cell has no ability to block light during LCD panel's refresh cycle.


Mathew Orman
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo /forum/post/19634730


Im pretty interested in the Vizio 65" passive 3D LED/LCD being released this week,,,,, but other than the movie theater passive 3D,,,,, I have yet to see in person a passive 3D panel.


I've looked online and cant seem to find ANY reviews at all from anyone that has compared active to passive 3D.


Yes,, I know all the tech stuff and all the claims that passive wont be full HD,,, but I was more interested in real world comparisons instead of opinions or speculation of what the passive will look like.


Anyone out there seen a passive 3D panel and if so what was your opinion of passive vs active ?


Thanks in advance


Cheers

Davyo

Do you have a link to this announcement? I was under the impression it wasn't going to be released until Q1 2011
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Icester what kind of passive screen are you talking about, none of the ones I know relate to your suggestions.


To answer davyo's question :

I own two different passive 3D displays and have used active displays over the years.

Passive does not mean it's half resolution, it's a shortcut that is often wrongly made because of the lack of products on shelves : passive only relates to the type of glasses used, for example I have a full resolution passive display using dual projectors, filters and a silverscreen, other displays work differently and have different characteristics.


One of the displays I have is a Zalman Trimon 22" monitor, it uses the same polarisation technology as this Vizio TV, this technology is often called Xpol or µpol.


First, yes this display is half resolution when you put the glasses on and it shows, however the picture looks better than what most people believe when told about the half resolution, you usually get the same kind of feeling as when you watch a very good 720p display with good scalers.


These displays feel very bright, there is much less brightness difference between 2D and 3D presentation as with shutter based systems (there is still is a difference though).

Ghosting wise, it's roughly equivalent to the new 3D plasmas (Panasonic and Samsung). It's definitely there but it is low enough to not be an issue and since it's a passive system, ghosting is always positive (bright ghosting) and never negative (dark ghosting as it appears sometimes on LCD 3DTVs with shutter glasses), and it's always proportional to the contrast of the picture.


Ghosting and view angles are related with these displays, they have a narrow viewing angle, horizontally it's quite wide, much wider than what you'll want to use for 3D presentation (3D watched from the side always looks bad, no matter what screen technology you use),


the big problem is the vertical view angle :

On the 22" display it's really small because the pixels are very small, when you watch the screen from the side, the light of the pixels you see goes through the wrong line of filters and you see parts of both pictures (almost 100% ghosting as if you were not wearing glasses at all).

You have to be exactly at the right height, and it makes using these screens very hard for multiple viewers.

On the big screen though, the pixels are bigger so the view angle also is bigger. I have seen a similar display made by hyundai at a trade show and the view angle is indeed wider. You should have no problem getting everyone in the sweet spot by tilting the TV forward or backward a bit when you install it, it will work as long as everybody is sitting on the couch, however if you have some people sitting and others standing you'll exceed the available view angle.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark /forum/post/19635385


Icester what kind of passive screen are you talking about, none of the ones I know relate to your suggestions.


To answer davyo's question :

I own two different passive 3D displays and have used active displays over the years.

Passive does not mean it's half resolution, it's a shortcut that is often wrongly made because of the lack of products on shelves : passive only relates to the type of glasses used, for example I have a full resolution passive display using dual projectors, filters and a silverscreen, other displays work differently and have different characteristics.


One of the displays I have is a Zalman Trimon 22" monitor, it uses the same polarisation technology as this Vizio TV, this technology is often called Xpol or µpol.


First, yes this display is half resolution when you put the glasses on and it shows, however the picture looks better than what most people believe when told about the half resolution, you usually get the same kind of feeling as when you watch a very good 720p display with good scalers.


These displays feel very bright, there is much less brightness difference between 2D and 3D presentation (there is still is a difference though).

Ghosting wise, it's roughly equivalent to the new 3D plasmas (Panasonic and Samsung). It's definitely there but it is low enough to not be an issue and since it's a passive system, ghosting is always positive (bright ghosting) and never negative (dark ghosting as it appears sometimes on LCD 3DTVs with shutter glasses), and it's always proportional to the contrast of the picture.


Ghosting and view angles are related with these displays, they have a narrow viewing angle, horizontally it's quite wide, much wider than what you'll want to use for 3D presentation (3D watched from the side always looks bad, no matter what screen technology you use),


the big problem is the vertical view angle :

On the 22" display it's really small because the pixels are very small, when you watch the screen from the side, the light of the pixels you see goes through the wrong line of filters and you see parts of both pictures (almost 100% ghosting as if you were not wearing glasses at all).

You have to be exactly at the right height, and it makes using these screens very hard for multiple viewers.

On the big screen though, the pixels are bigger so the view angle also is bigger. I have seen a similar display made by hyundai at a trade show and the view angle is indeed wider. You should have no problem getting everyone in the sweet spot by tilting the TV forward or backward a bit when you install it, it will work as long as everybody is sitting on the couch, however if you have some people sitting and others standing you'll exceed the available view angle.

You are wrong.

X-pol is half resolution time parallel system and Vizio is 120 Hz frame sequential with full size TN panel polarity rotator just like the Z-Screen and it is FULL HD resolution.

Vizio delivers full 1920x1080 at 60 Hz per eye.

X-pol is 1920x540 at 60 Hz per eye simultaneously.


Mathew Orman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icester /forum/post/0



You are wrong.

X-pol is half resolution time parallel system and Vizio is 120 Hz frame sequential with full size TN panel polarity rotator just like the Z-Screen and it is FULL HD resolution.

Vizio delivers full 1920x1080 at 60 Hz per eye.

X-pol is 1920x540 at 60 Hz per eye simultaneously.


Mathew Orman

The vizio website says that the passive tv does not support full 3d hd but it says yes to theater 3d.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by neo0285 /forum/post/19635546


Damn, all this stuff is so confusing. So this new vizio is not going to be any better than the active displays out now, possibly worst.

The main advantage is full HD 3D and passive glasses.

It is the first implementation of TEKTRONIX's Tek 3D technology on LCD panels.

Fortunately TEKTRONIX's patent is long expired so now every manufacturer of LCD panels can implement full resolution passive system without paying anything to TEKTRONIX.


Mathew Orman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Vizio XVT3D650SV tech specs from Vizio's website :

Quote:
Theater 3D: Yes
Full HD 3D: No

3D Formats Supported: Frame Packing, SENSIO® Hi-Fi 3D, RealD, Top/Bottom and Side-by-Side

Glasses: 4 polarized glasses included
http://www.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/xvt3d650sv.html


Vizio's PDF about vertical viewing angle (typical of line interleaved Xpol/µpol displays)
http://70.168.148.201/documents/down...ng%20angle.pdf


I don't know where you got the info that the Vizio screen used frame alternating polarisation, but that info you got was wrong. It's definitely an Xpol/µpol display !

Where did you get the PDF claiming it uses a Z-screen ?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
19,253 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KUJayhawk20659 /forum/post/19635442


It is on their site and appears to be coming out very soon. A 65 and 55 model

LOL - In January 2010, they said their 3DTVs would ship in August. They shipped at the end of November. In June they said their xPol 3DTV would be available Q1 2011. Their track record of "soon" isn't that good.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,170 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackShark /forum/post/19635788


Vizio XVT3D650SV tech specs from Vizio's website :


http://www.vizio.com/led-lcd-hdtvs/xvt3d650sv.html


Vizio's PDF about vertical viewing angle (typical of line interleaved Xpol/µpol displays)
http://70.168.148.201/documents/down...ng%20angle.pdf


I don't know where you got the info that the Vizio screen used frame alternating polarisation, but that info you got was wrong. It's definitely an Xpol/µpol display !

Where did you get the PDF claiming it uses a Z-screen ?

You got the wrong PDF.

http://70.168.148.201/documents/down...D650SV-WEB.pdf


Anyway the X-pol does not use 120 Hz.


Mathew Orman
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
You have a very strange sense of logic Icester because that specification PDF says Xpol to me.


I didn't read all the pages but i saw this :


Page 4 (installing the TV) : you get the vertical viewing angle notice

Page 37 (how 3D theater works) : says the TV displays left and right eye views at the same time

Page 41 (specifications) : you get no tech specs regarding 3D mode (the FullHD 3D info isn't even there)

The 120Hz refresh rate is a generic refresh rate for 2D mode (other manufacturers claim up to 600Hz there even when the 3D shutter mode maxes at 120Hz)


In this case, not only the website info prevails but this TV has been known to be interlaced since it was first announced.
 
1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Top