AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

· Registered
3,639 Posts
That is a big screen. I guess he wasn't going for the stealth look.

Hmmm, maybe I could build a 21 foot screen outside to beat everyone. Though, I doubt my projector would be bright enough for that.

· Registered
652 Posts
joe12south (I think that's the correct username) built a 24 foot wide outdoor screen a couple years back.

The owner of the Cyberdine has a 159'' diagonal screen.

Rvonse, over on the CRT forum, runs an 11 footer also.

Clarence (formerly marcorsyscom), also on the CRT forum, used to run a 14' diagonal 4x3 screen. He's since moved, not sure what size he's running right now. He'd said something about maybe having to settle for 9-10 feet wide.

Dean McMannis has a 13+ feet wide screen, powered by a D-ILA.

· Registered
9,977 Posts
This 'big-screen' phenomena reminds me of those ******** with the increasingly taller pickup trucks.

· Registered
9,977 Posts
Jorus, not knocking front projection. So, are you saying that the only way to re-create the theatrical viewing experience is with a screen that is as big as possible? Maybe I should also lower the PQ for size and better re-create the theatrical viewing experience as my local theaters are crapp in PQ but have 'big' screens.

If one is willing to live with lower-PQ in order to have a larger screen then that is fine. I was merely making joke of the bigger is better[/] side of this discussion.

· Registered
652 Posts
Quote:
Jorus, not knocking front projection.
It certainly sounds like it.

Quote:
So, are you saying that the only way to re-create the theatrical viewing experience is with a screen that is as big as possible?
Not at all. I did not knock any one picture size range, only wondered why someone would consider large screens to be in poor taste, as implied by you comparing large-screen owners to ********.

Quote:
Maybe I should also lower the PQ for size and better re-create the theatrical viewing experience as my local theaters are crapp in PQ but have 'big' screens.
Maybe you should address what I actually said instead of setting up strawmen.

Quote:
If one is willing to live with lower-PQ in order to have a larger screen then that is fine.
A large screen and good PQ are not mutually exclusive.

Quote:
I was merely making joke of the bigger is better[/] side of this discussion.

For those for whom immersiveness is a factor, yes, bigger is indeed better.

· Registered
9,977 Posts
Jorus, why would I knock front projection? I own two projectors at the moment and thinking of buying a third next week. You are correct, I went back an re-read what you originally posted in reply. But still, I wasn't picking on front projection, but poking fun at the 'bigger is better'. And since bigger is better then what are you doing currently to increase your screen size?

· Registered
16,014 Posts
If you've got the projector that can do it and your room is big enough, I say go for it. For the rest of us, we move the seats closer to the screen.

There's more than one way to skin this cat.

· Registered
336 Posts
I might not have the biggest screen but i think i set some kind of record for the most ludicrous setup. When i reconfigured my basement and put in a dedicated theater with three levels of seating i went with the biggest screen i could find and afford, 160 inch. Not the best idea, my room is only 156 inches wide, the screen was 139 inches wide of viewing, my room is only 96 inches high the screen was 78 inches high, add in the 14 inches of drop for the panamorph and you have my screen was 3 or 4 inches from the ground. Thank good i found someone who wanted that screen, i now have a 120 inch screen and it works perfect.

· Registered
2,164 Posts
I think Wolfgang Mayer will soon have the largest (in another thread he mentioned he was going to install a 20' wide screen). For now I think Art is right and that PF in New York has bragging right.

david f

construction already begun yesterday.

hope to complete it in 3 weeks.

the room need to dry out after finish the construction for at least 8 weeks.

after that i plan to coat "the complete room"(ceiling floor + all walls) with black carpet (my black box design).

the screen size will be 19,68 to 20,67feed wide for 2,4:1 movies masking only left and right for 1,85 an 1,78:1.

seams on till that time pf have the biggest SCREEN.

BTW: IN THE NEW CINEMA IT WAS FORBIDDEN TO WEAR A WHITE T SHIRT

BECAUSE THIS CAN KILL THE CR.

· Registered
3,936 Posts
How about BLACK CHARCOAL make-up for your HT guests before they enter W. Mayer?

Think about it... ;)

PS Or maybe a burka? Ask the Taliban for directions... :D

· Premium Member
16,974 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jason Turk
I have the biggest actual.....oh wait, I see that you were talking about screens. Nevermind then. :)
Jason..remember the saying " He who brags"

By the way even in winter with a chill to the room everyone is still impressed with my screen size.

· Registered
9,977 Posts
So, only thing W.Mayer needs now is a 1080P in CinemaScope native aspect.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.