AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has the lowest-hanging ceiling-mounted CRT? Looking for the floor-to lowest point on CRT projector height.

·
Registered
9,824 Posts
I bet I'm going to have the lowest one after I finish painting the attic.

There is a room in the house I rent that is pretty much unuable for anything but for whatever reason my HT system seems to fit pretty well. The roof makes the room into almost a triangle. It's a tiny space but using it is the only way for me to set up a dedicated HT for now.

-Brian

·
Registered
59 Posts
:D Metric is easier...

I have a very low distance in my "theater", 205 cm from floor to ceiling... When the BG1208s/E hangs there, you may make the conversion? But it will be close to 5,5". I plan to remove parts of the celing to uncover the joists and "unistrut" the whole thing. Sure will bang my head a few times until I learn ? But now he floor mount is really just a hassle... the sweet spot is occupied by the PJ.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Well,

Floor to ceiling is 205. The PJ has a height of 35,5 (or so). Subtract and divide by 30.48 (a foot) and you have... 5,56'?

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Doh! Doesn't that get in the way of anyone sitting beneath it and then standing up? If there isn't a seat why not floor mountit? Curious.

·
Registered
59 Posts
:D Haven't really done it yet... I have the PJ on the floor, but the space it uses I would love to have myself!

I know, the first 1-100 times, a sudden stand-up to answer a phone, or a quick restroom visit could lead to the need for a doctor...:p

·
Registered
997 Posts
ok people I dont normaly tell anyone but mine hangs the LOWEST !!:D

at 64.25 inches ....... or 5'4"

I have a pic of the night I hung it and I could just barely walk under it with it unclothed but with it covered up I cant anymore

as far as seating goes I dont know if there will be any problems since I plan on ordering my La-Z-Boy chairs this week........ anyone got any deals ?

kevin

just added the pic to my gallery

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Kevin, you must be the same height as me. :) I'd juuuust fit under your projector, with 1" to spare. Dang, that thing's low!

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think he gets the chair immediately under the projector (sweet spot). I am also surprised at how many people have less than six feet of clearance underneath their projectors. I wonder if this is because their projectors are located above a riser or something.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Wow, I'm really surprised with the results of this poll. I'm about 6' 1" or so. But I may have the most inconvient place to hang a projector...In the entry way door!

·
Registered
7,137 Posts
My basement ceiling is 7'6" high and the bottom of my hushbox is exactly 6' off the floor.

This is not a problem as the hushbox is directly over the couch so it's never in the way and you never bump your head or have to "watch out" for the hushbox.

I hung mine as low as possible to optimize image quality.

The closer your projector is to the center of the screen (in height), the better. You use less keystone adjustment to compensate which means that you can expand your image wider on the phosphor.

The ideal setup would be a tilted projector half way up the screen. No keystone required - the image areas on the tubes would look exactly square instead of trapezoid.

I'm going to be putting in a riser with a couple of rows of HT loungers in the next few months so unfortunately the height's going to get a bit tight in the back row. But then again, if the guests don't like it, they can go elsewhere for free movies and beer! :)

Kal

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by BarcoRules
:D Metric is easier...
For you it is!!! :D

I'm reminded of the story of the American who goes to a foreign country and goes to buy something and asks the salesperson: "How much does this cost in "real money?" :D

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by spearce
Youch. What happened there lawdawg, you run out of throw distance in the room ? :)
If you can believe it, I actually "designed" my room that way :rolleyes:

The area I have to work with conspired to place the back wall almost perfectly in line with my projectors throw distance (~13') for the screen size I wanted (~9' wide.)

I choose, for various reasons, not to place the entrance to my theater off to the sides. Among the reasons were that I wanted it to be dead center of the back wall, to facilitate furniture movement, and since it's such a small space, I thought this would help make the room feel less cramped.

I'm also a sucker for symmetry. ;)

Of course this means the projector has to be just a little bit back from the entry way front. Unless you are 6' 2" or so, you can pass under it no problem. The few tall people I know can duck.

The big reason why I decided I could live with this, is that I want to eventually put a door up in this entry. I will have optical glass, for the CRT to shoot through. This should virtually eliminate ALL noise form the CRT, HTPC, and people in the gameroom next door, without my having to build hushboxes for them all.

It's not perfect, but life is full of compromises....

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Interesting design strategy. Especially the hushhallway. :D

You might get a record for the largest hushbox on the forum!

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by kal
The closer your projector is to the center of the screen (in height), the better. You use less keystone adjustment to compensate which means that you can expand your image wider on the phosphor.
I'm confused by this statement. The NEC guide for front projection shows a 12º above/below axis, opposite the viewer. Only in rear projection does it show dead-on.

Of course, I'm at work so my memory could be faulty.

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
The manuals don't matter here. When you put the projector dead on at the center of the screen, you will need to tilt it by enough to get the image to actually fall onto the screen.

Once tilted, you quickly realize that no keystone correction is required. The image doesn't have to expand on one side to meet with the furtherest part of the screen as all screen edges are the same distance between screen edge and phosphor.

Its rare peple install machines like this, and some may have issues with it as it does distrupt the "normal" airflow through the chassis.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.