AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I replied to a thread earlier that got me thinking the question - Who actually has the most Hi-def channels?

Here in Las Vegas on Cox cable, we currently have NINE Hi-Def channels and soon NBC's Digital channel will be HD too and then we will have TEN channels. Almost all of the local stations are Digital, but they are NOT all Hi-Def. Those channels, like FOX UPN nad WB are not counted or advertised as HD.

Our current HD lineup, that I can actually watch, right now, in HD on my TV is as follows:
  1. Ch 700 Discovery HD Theater
  2. Ch 705 ESPN HD
  3. Ch 710 HBOW HD
  4. Ch 711 HBOE HD
  5. Ch 720 SHOW HD
  6. Ch 721 SHOE HD
  7. Ch 730 CBS HD
  8. Ch 731 PBS HD
  9. Ch 732 ABC HD
  10. *Ch 733 NBC HD* coming soon, so I can only watch SD DIGITAL Ch 123[/list=1]

So, Who's got anything that actually has 10 HD channels or comes close to this????

Open for discussion from Cable, Sat, OTA and all HD sources.

I would be interested in who has the most single source HD and also, multi source HD (multi dishes, and antennas, combo of all three, etc)

Mods - Can we make this a sticky thread ?

vegggas

·
Registered
704 Posts
Houston HD selection is not bad. I have available the following:

ABC

NBC

CBS

PBS

WB

HDNET CH 199

HDPPV CH 198

SHO

HBO

I do not know if we get feeds from HBO or SHO east and west due to the fact that I do not subscribe to either.

And coming soon to my living room --------ESPNHD !!!

I wouldn't mind Discovery and HDNET Movies !!! Hurry up D* !!!

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
Well lets see. On Dish Network I have available to me:

HBO HD

SHO HD

Discovery HD

PPV HD

NBA HD

I subscribe to HBO HD only.

OTA I have:

ABC HD

CBS HD

NBC HD

PBS HD

In the near future I expect to have available:

ESPN HD

HDNET

HDNET Movies

HDNET Entertainment

WB

Faux

Final tally:

9 available now of which I actually get 5.

In the near future (

·
Registered
4,123 Posts
Through 3 DBS HD services (Dish, DirecTv and Bev) and OTA I catch the following HD channels:

CBS HD: New York, Boston, Seattle, Denver

ABC HD: Boston, Seattle, Denver

NBC HD: Boston, Seattle, Denver (just started passing some HD through yesterday)

PBS HD: 24 Hour National feed, Denver

CityTv HD: Toronto (some HD movies and some WB HD programming)

HBO HD

Showtime HD

Discovery HD

HDNet

2 HD-PPV channels (also used for special events like NBA-TV HD)

·
Registered
164 Posts
Here in Northern Virginia (all HD unless indicated):

Cox Cable

HBO-East

Showtime-East

NBC

ABC

Discovery-HD

ESPN-HD (starting May 15th - official)

Over the air

NBC

ABC

CBS

FOX (SD widescreen)

WB

PBS (1 HD, 1 SD channel)

PAX (6!!! SD channels)

For a total of 9 unique HD & 2 unique SD.

Not bad, but I want CBS and FOX on cable and HDNet too.

- John

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Looks like DP1, so far, can actually see 11 channels, via four different sources on his TV. That's pretty damn good and the best I've heard - Expensive, and possibly confusing, but damn good. Any other multiplatform users like that?

Let's hear some more, and please note where the sources are coming from, like WJG from Houston, is that ComCast?

I'm also looking for the single most currently actual available viewable channels - (say that 10 times) So far, I'm still flipping between 9 HD channels on my set via a single cable and STB. No muss, no Fuss!

WJG says 9 are possible in Houston (assuming WB is HD and not just digital), but it is not actually confirmed and being watched on his set.

I would love to hear someone with 10 confirmed HD channels on their set!

vegggas

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
OTA

IL WBBM 2 Chicago 3

IL WMAQ 5 Chicago 29

IL WLS 7 Chicago 52

IL WGN 9 Chicago 19

IL WTTW 11 Chicago 47

IL WCIU 26 Chicago 27

IL WFLD 32 Chicago 31

IL WCPX 38 Chicago 43

IL WSNS 44 Chicago 45

IL WXFT 60 Aurora/Chicago 59

IL WGBO 66 Joliet/Chicago 53

IN WPWR 50 Gary/Chicago IL 51

IN WJYS 62 Hammond/Chicago IL 36

Five of the above do HD.

SAT

198 HD-PPV

199 HDNet

509 HBO-HD

543 SHOW-HD

CABLE - Comcast

116.02 Discovery-HD

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
OTA, I receive 14 local DTV OTA stations and 21 local (20 presently, 1 is off air) NTSC analogs. 9 Do HD, 1 does Fox Widescreen.

DTV List(analog counterparts in parenteseses, some remap via psip/ some don't :

WCPO-DT 10 (9) Cincinnati - ABC HD

WBDT-DT 18 (26) Dayton - NO WB HD :-( - Note: has some Pax .

WCVN-DT 24 (54) Covington, KY - KET/Some PBS HD

WXIX-DT 29 (19) Cincinnati - Fox Widescreen

WRGT-DT 30 (45) Dayton - NO Fox Widescreen :-(

WKRC-DT 31 (12) Cincinnati - CBS HD+Paramount HDOne+ BIG Yearly Local fireworks show in HD for last few years

WSTR-DT 33 (64) Cincinnati - NO WB HD :-(

WCET-DT 34 (48) Cincinnnati - Some PBS HD (less lately, used to be more)

WLWT-DT 35 (5) Cincinnati - NBC HD

WKOI-DT 39 (43) Richmond, IN/Cincinnati - TBN (No HD, obviously)

WHIO-DT 41 (7) Dayton - CBS HD

WDTN-DT 50 (2) Dayton - ABC HD

WKEF-DT 51 (22) Dayton - NBC HD

WPTD-DT 58 (16) Dayton - PBS - Blank HD channel presently, just came on air yesterday, - Plans for PBS HD in the evenings

Stations with a digital allocation still not on the air:

------

WPTO-DT 28 (14) - Oxford/Cincinnati - I believe Plans for PBS HD .. Current expected on air Date - Late July 2003 -- Extension app currently pending at FCC, according to the FCC database ...

Stations with No digital allocations, currently:

----------------------------------------------------------

WBQC-CA 25 - UPN Cincinnati (Has some PAX)

WOTH-LP 38 - Home shopping Cincinnati

WRCX-LP 40 - MBC Dayton (Not on the air, displaced from 51 by WKEF-DT)

W47BC 47 - Springfield, Ohio - TBN low power translator

WWRD-LP 55 - Dayton - World Harvest TV(mostly religious)

W61DE - 61 - Cincinnati, OH - TBN Translator

-------------------------------------

Except for the following, all these stations are within 12~39 Miles of my location. Perfect reception at all times, no dropouts/etc. from 13 of the 14 digital stations, only one I occasionally have problems with is WKOI-DT/TBN due to terrain blockage, a low transmitting antenna, Low power, and a directional antenna which doesn't favor my direction. I receive most of the analogs with "perfect NTSC" quality, except for a few of the low power stations which range from a little, to quite snowy. I also receive Analog WAVE 3 from Louisville, KY (95 Miles), and analogs WCMH 4 and WSYX 6 Columbus(78 Miles) At all times to some degree, quite watchable about 1/2 of the time.

-----------------------------------

Since most of the Dayton Towers are only 42-44 Miles distant from the Cincinnati towers, With the proper antenna setup, most of the several million folks who live in this area could most likely receive most stations from both cities .... Some portions of our area are quite hilly however, so terrain blockage can be a problem ...

Currently, Only WDTN-DT Dayton(ABC) and WCET-DT Cincinnati(PBS) Does DD 5.1 .... Unfortunetly, The ONLY station which doesn't multcast/datacast "during HD" and gives the entire bandwidth possible to HD is WLWT-DT, NBC Cincinnati ....

-----------------------------

Probably more than you wanted to know, but with so many stations in our area, it surely would be nice to have WB HD, PBS HD 24/7 as well as a UPN digital station ...... Even nicer would be at least some HDnet programming via OTA, as I believe a Dallas station does ...

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That's an impressive OTA lineup and a great writeup! 9 HD OTA stations sounds like a very low cost winner. Are a lot of the networks showing double coverage from the two cities?

WB and UPN only have a few hours of HD content available. To see one of those stations in HD would require them to partner up with Paramount movies or something to give them some HD content. Here in Vegas they don't even bother - sure they are digital, but they will not bother with HD until they have somethng to show.

vegggas

·
Registered
6,393 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by vegggas
Are a lot of the networks showing double coverage from the two cities?
Yes, when Network HD is being broadcast, it's usually the "same HD" from both cities ... One PBS station does "reschedule" and time Delay HD however ... So, "really", it's 4 "seperate" HD programming sources most of the time + 1 HDone Movie a month, + Fox Widescreen ....

The best part about it is when a station in one city "forgets" to throw the switch or has a problem/etc -- There have been other instances also when one station from one city will run other, local programming while the other has network HD, or, Weather Warnings/ETC cause "SD" from one city while the other city is HD, and I've seen basically the same happen where sports delays are concerned ... In which case I just switch channels to where the HD is .. So, in other words, it's a good backup ...

Concerning WB, I'd REALLY Like to see Smallville and Everwood in HD ..... I didn't think that UPN had any HD programming as of yet (BTW, HDONE movies are a syndicated package, any station can buy it and broadcast in SD and/or HD) ...

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
HDTV:

1) CBS - Detroit, Toledo, Boston, Seattle

2) ABC - Detroit, Toledo, Boston, Seattle

3) NBC - Detroit, Toledo, Boston, Seattle

4) PBS - Detroit, Boston, Seattle

5) UPN - Detroit (HDOne Movies)

6) HDNet

7) HBO

8) Showtime

9) Dish PPV

10) DirecTV PPV / Special Events

11) The Movie Network

12) Movie Central

13) City-TV

Not counting the Dish demo channel.

EDTV:

Fox - Detroit, Toledo, Boston, Seattle

MIA:

ESPN

Discovery

WB (I get some of it from City-TV), coming soon to my area.

Providers:

Dish, DirecTV, ExpressVu, Comcast, OTA.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Whoo hoo! Looks like Ken is getting 13 total HD stations (14 with the demo chan), but at the cost of 5 different sources. Still, that seems to be the most so far.

Ken, I'm not familiar with the "The Movie channel" being in HD. Is this the same TMC that operates in the US cable and sat services or a Canadian import via expressvu? I also assume movie central and city tv are canadian imports too. Also, are the different sat providers PPV the same or do they have different programming and/or scheduled times?

vegggas

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,618 Posts
Quote:
I'm not familiar with the "The Movie channel" being in HD. Is this the same TMC that operates in the US cable and sat services or a Canadian import via expressvu? I also assume movie central and city tv are canadian imports too.
The Movie Network, Movie Central & City-TV are all Canadian sevices. Sorry about The Movie Channel typo, I fixed my post.

Here is a link to a schedule for TMN & MC from ExpressVu:
http://www.bell.ca/shop/application/...dtv_lineup.jsp

Quote:
Also, are the different sat providers PPV the same or do they have different programming and/or scheduled times?
The PPV is different schedules, but sometimes more than one provider will have the same movie.

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for the clarification on the Movie channel, I thought I missed something there for a moment. I knew about Cinemax thinking about this fall, but heard nothing about TMC going HD.

AS for PPV, I figured they all show the same movies (My job involves 1st tier PPV systems before cable and sat). I was just wondering if the schedules were the same or completely different - i.e. multiple choices for the same time frames (usually), but you just answered that.

veggas

·
Registered
45,618 Posts
Quote:
....As for PPV, I figured they all show the same movies (My job involves 1st tier PPV systems before cable and sat). I was just wondering if the schedules were the same or completely different....
The schedules are always different.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
In Jersey City, NJ

FAUX

WB

PBS

CBS

UPN

HBO

SHO

Thats it....... and remember i live next to the international capital of the world....... gosh this stinks....:)

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
I have no HD from cable or satellite at this time. Cable HD isn't available yet in San Francisco, and I haven't signed up for satellite HD. I do have the SD Dish 100 channel package.

However, OTA I receive 15 digital stations.

Seven of them transmit HD at this time:

ABC - KGO - 24 (7)

CBS - KPIX - 29 (5)

NBC - KNTV - 12 (11)

PBS - KQED - 30 (9)

WB - KBWB - 19 (20)

IND - KRON - 57 (4) - transmits local HD programming

FOX - KTVU - 56 (2) - network programming is widescreen ED, but the station transmits local HD programming.

We haven't seen any HD from the UPN affiliate, and there are still four digital PBS stations and four digital commercial stations in the area due to come on the air.

I think this is a pretty good score since we don't have to pay anything to get any of these channels.

Larry

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Larry Kenney

Seven of them transmit HD at this time:

ABC - KGO - 24 (7)

CBS - KPIX - 29 (5)

NBC - KNTV - 12 (11)

PBS - KQED - 30 (9)

WB - KBWB - 19 (20)

IND - KRON - 57 (4) - transmits local HD programming

FOX - KTVU - 56 (2) - network programming is widescreen ED, but the station transmits local HD programming.

I think this is a pretty good score since we don't have to pay anything to get any of these channels.

Larry
Good line up and it's free too.

Quick questions: Can you explain what is in HD on the WB network and what is the local HD programming on FOX? FOX network is not HD, and it seems strange to offer HD when not airing the network feed.

vegggas

·
Registered
3,898 Posts
Vegggas wrote:

Quick questions: Can you explain what is in HD on the WB network and what is the local HD programming on FOX?

I don't watch WB very often, but according to the local TV listings KBWB-WB20 offers the following in HD:

Sunday: Smallville and Everwood

Monday: Everwood

Tuesday:Smallville

Wednesday: Dawson's Creek

Friday: Reba

KTVU-Fox 2 has broadcast the New Years Eve Fireworks and the Chinese New Years Parade live in HD, and the Chinese parade repeated on tape. FOX network programming is enhanced by KTVU, just like their local SD programming is. They transmit a 720P HD signal.

Larry

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So does the local FOX upconvert the network feeds from 480P widescreen to a 720P widescreen as well as all other content? That's very interesting to hear.

What kind of programming does the independent channel carry and how does it look? Original local programming in HD or just full upconverts of syndicated shows.

vegggas

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.