AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The mount just started shipping and we have not seen one yet or opened one. We give them sealed to our customers.

We have a customer who says the mount is incomplete and says you need to attach it to a poll or something according to the instructions.

Can someone shed some lite on this.

Why would NEC ship a mount that can not be used. If it is indeed missing something what part is needed?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Hi Alan,

Thanks for working to resolve this. Here is the NEC mount.

HT1000 mount

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Glenn

It sure looks like it needs another piece. Thats the first time NEC has shipped a mount incomplete.

Also having to add that poll will add significant drop to the projector and the projector already has plenty of drop from its off axis through the lens.

This does not make sense and I wonder if there is another mount?

Hopefully others will drop in on this thread and we can get some answers. We have a call into our distributor as well.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Alan,

Got the mount from AVS yesterday. It connects to an 1 1/2 NPT thread (standard plumbing pipe). To install the mount you need to connect a floor flange to the ceiling and then use a 1 1/2 nipple of appropriate length for the drop you need. The flange and nipple cost me about $6 at Lowes.

I used the specs in NEC's installation manual to place my screen, but NEC did not advise that the mount needed an 1 1/2 NPT connection. Unless you have a suspended ceiling or are willing to cut out a big chunk of drywall on your ceiling, your actual drop from the ceiling is going to be a couple inches lower, to account for the flange and nipple. The shortest combination of flange and nipple I could come up with was about 2 1/2" long. However, it does not appear that having the HT1000 2 1/2 inches lower than I planned induces much keystone.

MIKE

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Alan

We should have a POLL on the POLE

·
Registered
897 Posts
Mike,

How does it look? Mine will be hanging from my living room ceiling. Now I have a white projector, a gold flange with plate and apparently I've got to attach plumbing, which no doubt will be black and hang the whole thing from a finished textured ceiling.

It may just be me, but I really had higher expectations of NEC for a home theater projector mount. If I really wanted to go out shopping for parts I wouldn't have bothered to purchase the mount. I was hoping for a complete solution, not an opportunity to run to the hardware store.

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Glen,

Well, it all looks like plumbing pipe. Painting might help, but it is still going to look like plumbing pipe. You might look at the website of the manufacturer of the mount, they may have some better looking 1 1/2" pipe. I know that Chief Mounts also uses 1 1/2" pipe so might check their site to see if they have something that might look better than regular plumbing pipe. PVC pipe has a nice smooth finish and if you could find a size to fit over the 1 1/2" NPT pipe it would likely look a lot better painted flat black or something like that than would the metal pipe.

Good luck. The mount wasn't exactly what I expected either, but I only have about 2 inches of pipe showing, which I can cover with some black tape.

MIKE

·
Premium Member
16,963 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tycoon :)

This projector calls for a flush mount as close to the ceiling as possible.

I was approached today by a company willing to manufacture one and it will be inexpensive. Ill try to get a time frame. I have to get them the current mount so they have the plate that goes to the projector for a template.

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by tycoondog2
We should have a POLL on the POLE
And WanMan thinks you don't have a sense of humor :D.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I purchased the DRAPER "Aero Mount" with the specified projector mount for the HP1000. It is available with mounting drops from 4 3/8" all the way to 51 1/4" and is adjustable in length. (Mine is the model 1214 with an adjustment range of 11 3/4" to 13 3/4"). It is EXPENSIVE but looks great and you can see why it cost so much.

Chucka

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does the HT1000 mount LT200CM tilt the projector in two directions, front to back to raise the image & side to side to make the image level?

Cliff

·
Registered
897 Posts
Cliff,

It is adjustable, locking tilt in each direction. Think of a locking ball joint. Of course there is the little problem of the beauty of the plumbing pipe. Maybe I should just play Super Mario Brothers on my projector to get into the spirit of the thing. . .

·
Registered
784 Posts
The installation instructions PDF file for the ceiling mount on the NEC website clearly shows the 1 1/2" NPT fitting. It is not immediately obvious that the pipe is required, but after studying the drawing you will see it.

Mine is supposed to come in today, so I will give it a try tomorrow. I have a suspended ceiling, so I plan to snug the projector up as close to the ceiling as possible. I bought a variety of lengths of 1 1/2" nipples to use with the pipe flange mount.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'll be mounting mine up close to drop type ceiling tiles also. Alas, I knew there was a good reason I didn't go with drywall ceilings. All the plumbing stuff will be mostly hidden.

Cliff

·
Banned
9,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by QQQ
And WanMan thinks you don't have a sense of humor :D.
He is trying, I'll give him that! :)

·
Registered
375 Posts
NEC uses the same type system as made by Peerless Industries for their ceiling mounts. You could choose from Peerless's many mounting components to attach to the ceiling with (including their various columns) for a complete system.

As an example: they make a screw-to-the-ceiling plate mount with vibration absorber and a 1&1/2" NPT down thread for an installation where floor vibrations from above might want to be controlled.

Or you could just go down to your local hardware store and get a piece of 1&1/2" iron water pipe cut & threaded to length and use a standard flange to attach to the ceiling.

Thumper

·
Registered
21,464 Posts
I looked in the box and yes indeedy the user must supply a pipe flange and nipple. I asked several of my installers how they were installing the ones we have sold and they told me that we (err that's me) keep the Peerless flanges and nipples in stock. Duh on me. I guess I am am just as bad as those out there who just ship boxes. :) At least the additional parts needed are cheap.

·
Registered
19 Posts
A DIY mount. Not exactly for the HT1000, here:

http://showcase.netins.net/web/montz...cm_lt_240.html

With a different projector offset and distance for different width screens, I thought that I could design a mount that addressed the distance from the screen and offset problem when going from 4:3 to 16:9. The mount and zoom could/do kind of address the issues, but for now I just zoom in for 4:3 and out until the image bottom is aligned with the bottom of the screen for 16:9. The image is aligned with the bottom of the screen (52"x92"), and almost fills the width, before it is completly zoomed out. It would have been nice if the projector lens aligned with the top or bottom of the screen without using the digital keystone adjustment.

I guess I could just adjust the projector for a 16:9 screen, but that would be too easy. The mount is adjustable enough that I can adjust for the different placements for a 16:9 and 4:3 screen.

I'm not too worried about the projector falling to the floor. When the lights are off I never notice the mount. I'm open to suggestions to improve the design...... How obvious is it that I'm not an engineer?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Just got around to opening my mount for an HT1000 arriving today...and ended up searching for this thread to see if I was losing my mind.

I talked to Display Devices (the name of the company that appears on the installation instructions for the LT200CM). They confirmed (as several folks here have already said) that the mount requires additional parts. The good news (HA!) is that they now sell a 5" plate that the mount can screw directly onto. Just $71!

Guess I'll be heading out to Home Depot. This just blows my mind.

-Dave

·
Registered
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by davewood
Just got around to opening my mount for an HT1000 arriving today...and ended up searching for this thread to see if I was losing my mind.

I talked to Display Devices (the name of the company that appears on the installation instructions for the LT200CM). They confirmed (as several folks here have already said) that the mount requires additional parts. The good news (HA!) is that they now sell a 5" plate that the mount can screw directly onto. Just $71!

Guess I'll be heading out to Home Depot. This just blows my mind.

-Dave
Just thought I'd follow-up to say that adding the flange/nipple and mounting the HT1000 was really a piece of cake. Still weird that these parts aren't included, but once I got over being annoyed about that, all was fine.

-Dave

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.