AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been wondering - What year did plasmas start appearing in the commercial world? I'm thinking it was around 2000 for some reason but i don't know.

When did people start using them in their homes?

Was it Sony that offered the first consumer models specifically for home use (with speakers and tuners, etc)?

By the time i became interested in plasma technology (about 2002) people here were already using them in their homes but i seem to remember they were pretty much all commercial models.

·
Registered
2,060 Posts
Plasma technology was around in the 1970s believe it or not, but not commercially made for TVs ( obviously). The oldest ones I have seen are in the Smithsonian air and space in the back of the eating area behind the McDonalds counter. They are 4:3 aspect ratio plasmas it appears.

·
Banned
1,661 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandyWalters
I've been wondering - What year did plasmas start appearing in the commercial world? I'm thinking it was around 2000 for some reason but i don't know.

When did people start using them in their homes?

Was it Sony that offered the first consumer models specifically for home use (with speakers and tuners, etc)?

By the time i became interested in plasma technology (about 2002) people here were already using them in their homes but i seem to remember they were pretty much all commercial models.
Philips probably developed the world's first comsumer plasma TV. First plasma TV I ever saw was at Sams Club in 1999, and it had a sticker price of $12,000.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan
Philips probably developed the world's first comsumer plasma TV. First plasma TV I ever saw was at Sams Club in 1999, and it had a sticker price of $12,000.
Plasma's hit the market in 95 (to the GP) for 20,000-25,000..

·
Registered
86 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rysa4
Plasma technology was around in the 1970s believe it or not, but not commercially made for TVs ( obviously). The oldest ones I have seen are in the Smithsonian air and space in the back of the eating area behind the McDonalds counter. They are 4:3 aspect ratio plasmas it appears.
I've seen one of the early working models. It was basically in a briefcase with a orange display. One of the patent holders was by a professor I took Discrete Math with at NSCU

http://renoir.csc.ncsu.edu/Faculty/Bitzer

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.