Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear fellow Arizona HDTV enthusiasts,

The CBS network will start airing this fall in HDTV besides the established regular primetime broadcasts and selected NFL games now HDTV College Football games! Phoenix is the 6th biggest City in the Nation now and we still don't have any CBS HDTV capabilities here. This is unacceptable.

It's time to become more active. I believe Senator John McCain is pretty much done with the campaign finance reform for now and it might be a good time to approach him. Also, I was thinking of Congressman J.D. Hayworth. He airs a little show at PHX Ch.11 on Cox Cable once a week I believe. Wasn't he once a sports anchorman at Ch.3 in the early 90ies if I remember correctly ? He might be the right person approaching, too.

Also, I believe we have a better chance of succeeding if we form an official entity. I am proposing a dedicated club or society

for one of our favorite pastimes I was thinking of the "HDTV and HomeTheater Society of Arizona" or something like that in nature.

I think eligible member should be:

- HDTV & Home Theater (and HTPC) Owners and Enthusiasts

- Local Retail Home Theater and HDTV Stores Managers and Owners

- Broadcast Engineers

- ?

I was thinking of having monthly meetings in the Phoenix Metro area (Maricopa County)

A membership fee not higher than $5 a month or less (open to discussion).

There are so many topics to cover:

- KPHO HDTV initiative continuation

- KSAZ failure of airing 16:9 and 480p broadcasts (X-Files, Ally McBeal, Dark Angel, etc.)

- (non) (H)DTV Developments at local Channels 3 and 61

- KUTP-UPN's sporadic digital broadcasts

- Status of future Local Sports Programming in HDTV (Phoenix Suns, Phoenix Coyotes, AZ Diamondbacks, AZ Rattlers)

- Info's on new HDTV, HTPC and other Home Theater equipment

- Referral service to reputable Home Theater Dealers

- TV station tours if possible

- Organizing Group trips to Comdex, CES and NAB tradeshows ?

- Updates on other developments in Digital and HDTV programming and hardware

- Reception problems and troubleshooting

- Establishing a Discussion forum between HDTV enthusiasts,Retailers, Broadcasters and Lawmakers !

- and a whole lot more

Who would be interested in participating ?

Best regards,

Jens

My email address is [email protected]

------------------

***Stop DFAST, HDCP and Boycott JVC*** HTPC1: P-III 800Mhz EB, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS CUSL2 Mobo,Telemann HiPix HDTV PCI card, Geforce 2 GTS 32MB DDR, Creative DVD-RAM, Creative Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 Dolby Digital, IBM 45GB 7200rpm HD, SuperMicro 750 FullTower with 6 fans, Cable Modem, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u (22")

[This message has been edited by Desertfox (edited 05-01-2001).]

·
Registered
54 Posts
I would be happy to jump on this cause. I think getting the word out to the Buzz's, the Showcases, the Shacks will help spark the creation of the group. I have spent close to $20k for digital TV and it pains me to have to watch the demo loop on DTV 199 to get 1080i!

Count me in,

Gary Hart

Scottsdale, AZ

[email protected]

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Gary, I will send out an update to everyone later on this evening. So, far the reponses are very good. Everyone please feel free to forward this thread to other HDTV enthusiasts in the Valley you may know off.

------------------

***Stop DFAST, HDCP and Boycott JVC*** HTPC1: P-III 800Mhz EB, 256MB PC133 SDRAM, ASUS CUSL2 Mobo,Telemann HiPix HDTV PCI card, Geforce 2 GTS 32MB DDR, Creative DVD-RAM, Creative Soundblaster Platinum 5.1 Dolby Digital, IBM 45GB 7200rpm HD, SuperMicro 750 FullTower with 6 fans, Cable Modem, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2040u (22")

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Our first meeting will be choosen one out of the following three dates: (Please reply with your first two choices, if possible)

May 23rd at 7:00 pm (Wednesday)

May 25th at 7:30 pm (Friday)

May 26th at 4:00 pm (Saturday)

Please let me know which one of those dates are ok. I think the first meeting should not go beyond than 2 hours.

A good central location in the Valley should be Mill Ave. or Scottsdale Rd. in the Tempe/ Scottsdale neighborhood. Both areas are near 101 and 202 freeways. There are several Brewpubs and other good places nearby.

Make some suggestions.

Jens

------------------

·
Registered
80 Posts
I would be happy to participate but regretably I am on vacation the week you suggest and only Saturday may work.

Please keep me in the loop.

Thanks

Keith Johnson

Surprise, AZ

·
Registered
497 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dear Arizona HDTV enthusiasts,

we have been kindly invited by Walt's TV at Mill & Southern in Tempe to host our inaugural meeting on Wednesday, May 23rd in their store at 7:00 pm .

Everyone that wants to attend please confirm by sending a confirmation to this email address: [email protected] Seating is limited.

Topics:

- KPHO's(CBS-DT Ch.17) refusal of purchasing/ installing the equipment necessary for broadcasting in HDTV

- KSAZ (FOX-DT Ch.31) failure of airing 16:9 and 480p broadcasts (currently everything is only in 4:3 and 480i)

- Status of KTVK (INDY-Ch.3) and KASW (WB-Ch.61) Digital TV going live dates

- KUTP's (UPN DT-Ch.26) sporadic digital broadcasts

- OTA reception problems and helping folks troubleshooting RCA DTC-100 issues

- Status of locally produced HDTV shows and Sports programming

- General info exchange and discussion of HDTV and HTPC equipment

- Scheduling of future Society meetings and group activites (if possible DTV Station tours, Comdex, etc.)

- Election of a Board (President, Treasurer, etc)

- Discussion and Vote on the official name of the HDTV society

- Discussion and Vote on membership rules and fee

- ?

- NEW: Cox Communications refusal of offering HDTV channels

Best regards,

Jens Wellmann

email: [email protected]

PS: We might have as a surprise guest a well respected person in the Arizona HDTV community that will try to attend !

------------------

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.