AVS Forum banner

Who is, or is not opposed to being dual format, and who isn't?

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Banned
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
That is the question.

BTW, this poll is for me to gauge whether I will start a movement on AVS to eliminate the separation between Blu-ray and HD DVD for both hardware and software. So, if you think we can all live together and discuss all things HD in (relative) peace and comradarie, or do you want to be, well, whatever it is you are being now, vote accordingly.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts
I voted for the second option. I don't want a second player, but would consider going dual format when I can move the ps3 to a second (hd) display.

This is probably at least 3 years out because we will be building a new home before I buy anything else.

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George /forum/post/0

That is the question.

BTW, this poll is for me to gauge whether I will start a movement on AVS to eliminate the separation between Blu-ray and HD DVD for both hardware and software. So, if you think we can all live together and discuss all things HD in (relative) peace and comradarie, or do you want to be, well, whatever it is you are being now, vote accordingly.

Go for it Robert! That really would be the best solution. Long live both formats!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg /forum/post/0

Go for it Robert! That really would be the best solution. Long live both formats!

I was a little skeptical of this in another thread.. but if it works.. lets push for it.

The first step to co-existence, IS co-existence.

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert George /forum/post/0

That is the question.

At first glance the thought of combining wasn't appealing. But when you consider that having it split ends up with multiple thread locking and flame wars over and over...

I don't see how it could get any worse than it is now, go ahead and combine them and then you can have the mods get heavy handed for a while to get everyone behaving properly.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I currently support BR because I own a PS3, but in the long run I don't care which one survives as long as it happens soon (next 12-18 months). By that time, the competition should mean that the winning format will be battle tested and superior to the a product that develops without competition. I wouldn't mind buying 2 players for my one HDTV right now but in a couple of years when I upgrade my other TV's to HD I don't want to have to foot the extra cost for 2 players/dual players/dual format discs.

·
Premium Member
8,419 Posts
This war should last a year or so, long enough so the bugs to be ironed out. But eventually I would like one format only.Preferably the one I own.

Until then I supporting one side, anything else I can watch on sd...Hens my signature.

DJoel

·
Registered
4,024 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djoel /forum/post/0

This war should last a year or so, long enough so the bugs to be ironed out. But eventually I would like one format only.Preferably the one I own.

Until then I supporting one side, anything else I can watch on sd...Hens my signature.

DJoel

No, not the one you own, the one I own

·
Registered
11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sknight1 /forum/post/0

I own both. Its the movies that count -- not the format!

I couldn't agree more, myself being a PS3 owner was biased in a sense because I was exposed to one format....my best friend has the Hd-a1 and im very impressed with what I saw, as he also was with Blu-ray

·
Registered
735 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDcr8z /forum/post/0

I couldn't agree more, myself being a PS3 owner was biased in a sense because I was exposed to one format....my best friend has the Hd-a1 and im very impressed with what I saw, as he also was with Blu-ray

I have the HD-A1 as well, so I know how good HD DVD looks. Now, I plan to purchase the PS3. I want to hear what those uncompressed PCM tracks sound like!

·
Registered
27,567 Posts
If you are only about movies, you have to have both.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I chose option #3... while I'm not opposed to discussing HD DVD, I don't plan to expand to that format at all. If I do, it'll be with much resentment.

·
Super Moderator
21,698 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebland /forum/post/0

If you are only about movies, you have to have both.

I agree

you can argue about what format has the best specs...

but the player(s) that play them both will win

·
Registered
5,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GodsLabRat /forum/post/0

I chose option #3... while I'm not opposed to discussing HD DVD, I don't plan to expand to that format at all. If I do, it'll be with much resentment.

Just out of curiosity. Why would it be with much resentment? I just don't understand that concept.

1 - 20 of 90 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.