AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who is running 1080P and with what projector, setup, etc. HTPC? If so which HDTV card if you are using one. How are you connecting the HTPC to the CRT?

·
Registered
264 Posts
I do,

I use a ATI card

a VGA to BNC and I ran 5 cables to the PJ

I will probably switch to a Nvidia card it is the only card supporting drivers for linux with the mpeg stuff.

I want to get rid of the Micro$oft tax and the flaky OS

I would even be happier if I could use Solars so I could have up times in the years range not days..

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Id do too,

it's HDTV from my PC, no HD card as it's just playback.

I do this using a Radeon 9700 Pro MP-1 on a Sony 1292QMG.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Bango0,

I am planning on building an HTPC with an ATI 9800 to drive my 1292. I was wondering if you scale your DVD's to 1920 by 1080 or something else?

I am fortunate enough to get all of the major networks OTA where I live. I would like to get rid of the interlace flicker on HD 1080i. I am planning on getting a FushionHD II (or possibly III) "software tuner" card that sends all the video to the video card. Ideally I would set everything to be output at 1920 x 1080p (DVD and HD), but I'm not sure how DVD would look scaled up that far. What do you think?

Ed

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
You should not scale the dvds to 1920*1080, it's completely useless.

Thing is... scale the dvd to the minimum resolution where you can't see the scan lines from your seat.

I use 1440*[email protected] for PAL dvds and 1440*[email protected] for dvds.

And of course 1920*[email protected] for HD.

1080 lines in 16/9 is a bit more than what the 1292 can perfectly handle, that's why this is not a good idea to use it for dvds.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I have a 8" NEC XG135LC projector with an ATI 9600 DB15 out. I tried 1080p for awhile. The T2 extreme WMP9 looked very good but it seemed like regular DVD's just looked too soft for my taste. So right now I'm back to [email protected] It seems to have the best mix of sharpness and punch for DVD's. Recently I scaled my 1080i HiPix files to 1280X720 with DVHSTool and am very happy with the results no more scan lines from the interlace standard HD signals. IMO it takes a 9" projector with at least 120 Mhz of video bandwidth for 1080p to really look good.

Mike

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
Here's an off topic question. How many owners of 9" projectors of any brand like 720P over scratching away at 1080P. Even the best 9 inchers can only fully resolve 1080P when set up by a pro. Not to say the hobbyist can't do it, but how many of us have the equipment to set one up properly?

I've seen pro set up 8 inchers blow away DIY 9 inch installations by far.

Chip S.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I agree with Chip... I should have said a 9" projector with 120 Mhz of video bandwidth and William Phelps or Tim Martin to make 1080p look good.

Mike

·
Registered
6,125 Posts
What I'd really like to see is a NEC that Doug Baisey squeezed 1200P out of. I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Chip S.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by stefuel
What I'd really like to see is a NEC that Doug Baisey squeezed 1200P out of. I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Chip S.

It might be doable @ 1600X1200 in a 4:3 aspect ratio. But 1200p in a 16:9 AR. That might be pushing it even for Doug or did I understand you to say he did achieve it?

Mike

·
Registered
838 Posts
Audiman,

The main point of scaling is to reduce or eliminate scan lines. When you start with a great source like 1920 x 1080i, deinterlacing to 1080p eliminates the interlaced flicker. As others have confirmed, scaling 480i (DVD) to 1080p doesn't seem to be worth the effort.

1080p seems to be about the limit of many 9" CRT's and as you know, we all want the "best" possible image.....

That is my take on it anyway....

Ed

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by JBJR
I have seen a Mike Parker setup of a 9501 at 1200P. AWESOME is all I can say!!
were you able to compare 1200P vs say 1080P or 960P on the same CRT?

If the pros can make 1200P look good, isn't it possible that they could make 960P actually look better than 1200P?..

My (1292) is at 960P because everyone says it's the "sweet spot"...Any 1292 owners ever compare 960P against 1080P?

·
Registered
315 Posts
John:

What video card/resolution/timings do you use driving your 1292? I'm in the process of setting up my HTPC and looking for ppls who've already done to see what their experiences have been. What are your setings for A. DVD watching ; B. HDTV and C. PC Gaming (if any)?

I think I already know you're on a 16x9 screen..?

Warren

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Hiya Warren..

Screen is 16x9..

I'm running Powerstrip at 1440 x 960 @71.928 - with a Holo 1 card and MP-1 Radeon 9000 using an external DVD player.. HD Sat goes into a seperate input into the 1292..no games..

I'm in the process of getting a new HTPC done with the new Holo 2 card and daughtercard so I can feed the HD satellite through it also..while the new one is being built I threw in my old Radeon 7500 card - gave me a real appreciation for the MP-1 mod again..I'm anxious to see the new Holo card and I'll be able to play T2 in HD in WM9...also bought an SDI mod kit and need to find someone who can install on either of my DVD players..

I'm even more anxious to see what KBK's full CRT mods will look like - Ken promises me 'very soon"....

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Quote:
I'm even more anxious to see what KBK's full CRT mods will look like - Ken promises me 'very soon".... [/b]
I can't wait for that either !

I hope this will be public, I'm in Europe so there is no chance for me to have him paying me a visit :(

About 1080p vs 960p for dvds on the 1292, I never tested but I'll do it during the day... at the moment I use 1440*[email protected] because as long as I don't see the scan lines, I don't see the point of using higher resolution.

·
Registered
783 Posts
John,

I spoke with Ken over the phone the other day. He also told me that he was very close to crating our 1292s up and sending them back. He didn't understand that although I have another 1292, I have never been able to use it because it has a bad green tube. He thought I was using that one until he was finished with ours. He was very appologetic and said he would finsh as soon as possible. I can't wait, since I've never even seen a CRT in action before......only read about it here!!!!!!! I feel like a virgin two weeks out from "prom night"!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
Can you two ask him if he's gonna give his 1292 mod public ?

There is no way for me to send him my 1292, but I would really like to know what he does to it... he said he would stop modding CRTs so... please... :D

·
Registered
360 Posts
Just tuned my HTPC in last night to 1080p. Running a newly installed EH9501LC with a Radeon Pro9500 card using TheaterTek software. Couldn't complain to much about the picture :) . I really didn't see a big difference between 720p and 1080p. My projector gets a professional tweak this Thursday so that might definetly make a difference!

Now it's time to setup the H3D-II card to see what that will do.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.