AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I did not get any takers to yesterdays request for help with DVI to a projector (please see reference thread).
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...hreadid=195263

I'll ask the question another way.

Please post your set-up when running DVI-D to digital flat panel or projector stating the following:

video card

length and type of cable (and purchase source)

type of display (plasma, lcd,rp and hopefully a dlp projector:D )

working resolutions

Power Strip, yes or no

With some of this information I hope to narrow down the possible cause of my configuration/setup problem.

Oh yeah, feel free to elaborate and pontificate!

·
Registered
423 Posts
radeon 9000 pro

3-meter dual-link dvi-i to dvi-i, from pacific custom cable

sanyo plv-70 (16x9 lcd)

[email protected]

powerstrip yes

sorry, i don't really have any insights into your pixelation problem. you may want to bump up your other thread since people might have missed it over the (u.s.) thanksgiving holiday.

bob

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply Bob.

That's one thing that I was thinking could be the problem, cable length. A few sources say 3m maximum, Infocuses white paper says 5m, I needed 3.5 meter:(

I looked at Pacific Custom Cables, and compared them to Ram, the pictures of the cables, connectors and tags appear to be identical.

Did you have to use an adapter to connect to the projector? Mine uses a VESA standard P&D so finding a cable proved impossible locally (Canada). I am currently looking for a way to get a shorter cable to eliminate it as the problem. Next up the card?

·
Registered
423 Posts
i didn't need an adapter, as the plv-70 has a dvi-d input.

someone (mouw) mentions using an htpc/dvi with an infocus lp340 in this thread:

Infocus LP-340 problem

perhaps you can pm him and see if he can share any setup tips with you.

bob

·
Registered
508 Posts
ATI Radeon 7500, 5 meter DVI cable to Flatron LCD 295LM at 1280 x 768. Works great. MyHD card overlay looks good, but primary MyHD output goes to Toshiba 40H80 via component. Tom

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trying to determine if the cable I have is at fault, also is the video card non-AIW?

Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
508 Posts
ATI Radeon 7500 (Build By ATI) ~ not AIW. As I recall, the 5 meter DVI cable was not immediately available (about a year ago) in the stores I frequent in the Washington DC area, so I ordered it over the internet. Tom

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Al,

This works perfectly for me:

LS-110 and 9700Pro (was AIW7500 before)

[email protected], NO powerstrip

3m DVI to P&D digital cable from Cablewholesale.com (10V6-05303)

I went through a few cables/companies (incl. RAM), cable lengths, until I finally found one that worked for me (pixilation errors big time).

I had the same issue when I first connected a Sony 16’ LCD to a MATROX G450 at 1280x1024 @60Hz via DVI. I ended up with 5m DVI from Cablewhole.

Al, just out of curiosity, why do you run the PJ in other than its native resolution?

Axel

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Actually these projectors has 2 native resolutions, one for 16:9 (848x480) and another for 4:3 (800x600).

I would like to be able to run 800x600 for TV from the AIW and possibly 1024x768 (which the PJ down converts to 800x600) for PC slide shows.

Have you tried to run a 5m cable to your LS110?

I searched Cablewholesale for the cable you mentioned in your post (10V6-05303) but could not find it?

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Al;

It tried a 5m from RAM Electronics once but w/o success (They also admitted they had some issues after making changes to the cable – this was back in May. But since they still sell them they might have fixed it). Cablewholesale did not have (and I think still have not) a 5m in that flavor. So I had to settle for a 3m, which is a little short for my application but does the job.

You are right when I looked for my cable at their website I could not find it either (I paid $15.54 back in May). On the other side I made great experiences by just calling them. I was looking for some cheap audio adapters that I could not find on their website. They offered me to make those just for me and at a price so low I could not believe. I explained several times to avoid any possible misunderstandings that I only wanted to buy 2 pieces and not 5000 (cableWHOLESALE). There would not be any price difference for me I was told and so it was. I paid less around a 1/3 of Radio Shack’s pricing.

Al, I am still interested in getting a 5m cable. So I would appreciate if you keep me posted.

How is the PQ when you feed a 1024x768 to the PJ and it scales it down compare to a signal in native resolution? I am still impressed about the crystal sharp pixels of the Windows desktop the PJ produces from using 840x480.

_______

Axel

·
Registered
4,484 Posts
Radeon 7500, 3 ft DVI-D cable, Samsung HLM507W RP, DLP set, 1280x720x60hz, not using powerstrip. I got my cable at www.pccables.com

Jim

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a cinema 17sf, I tried buying my cable from ram electronics but they sent me the wrong one twice. I decided to look else where when I found pacificweb and they did send me the right cable.

I use a Radeon 8500, 5 meter cable, and no powerstrip though when I get to it I will use it.

I have no problems, and picture looks great. Actually I have read that you can use longer cables but you have two options:

1.) buy a dvi repeater

2.) buy a $500 dvi-d cable that has better copper and more shielding.

My suggestions is keep it under 5 meters if you can.

Thanks

Eli

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Axel
Al;

It tried a 5m from RAM Electronics once but w/o success (They also admitted they had some issues after making changes to the cable – this was back in May. But since they still sell them they might have fixed it). Cablewholesale did not have (and I think still have not) a 5m in that flavor. So I had to settle for a 3m, which is a little short for my application but does the job.

You are right when I looked for my cable at their website I could not find it either (I paid $15.54 back in May). On the other side I made great experiences by just calling them. I was looking for some cheap audio adapters that I could not find on their website. They offered me to make those just for me and at a price so low I could not believe. I explained several times to avoid any possible misunderstandings that I only wanted to buy 2 pieces and not 5000 (cableWHOLESALE). There would not be any price difference for me I was told and so it was. I paid less around a 1/3 of Radio Shack’s pricing.

Al, I am still interested in getting a 5m cable. So I would appreciate if you keep me posted.

How is the PQ when you feed a 1024x768 to the PJ and it scales it down compare to a signal in native resolution? I am still impressed about the crystal sharp pixels of the Windows desktop the PJ produces from using 840x480.

_______

Axel
I contacted Ram and told them of my problem, their response was 'that's why we don't recommend anything over 3m' They offered to sell me a 3m and to test my 5m b ut neglected to say who was going to pay for all of the shipping involved:confused: The 5m that I have ended up costing me $120Cdn after taxes and shipping so I really can't afford to be ordering a bunch of cables to test which works or which is better!

I'll keep you posted on what I manage to get working.

The PQ that I can tell you about is of course only via the VGA connector. It looks to me as I increase the resolution while displaying a computer image from 640x480 to 800x600 and then finally to 1024x768 that the image gets smoother the higher you go. What I was trying to achieve was to keep the resolution set to what the computer can provide thereby staying within the native resolution of the projector. I actually think that no matter what you feed the projector you will find that in 4:3 it converts it to 800x600 and in 16:9 it converts to 848x480.

So essentially I am trying to find to settings within Windows or Power Strip that match these 'native resolutions'. I would be very interested to know the specific timings that you are using so that I can try them, since I upgraded the firmware of my projector to the latest (3.4) I needed to up the refresh rate from 60Hz to 75Hz to prevent the image from continually rolling:confused: It didn't before...

So in the end I think that I will have to locate another cable to try.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by cef011
I have a cinema 17sf, I tried buying my cable from ram electronics but they sent me the wrong one twice. I decided to look else where when I found pacificweb and they did send me the right cable.

I use a Radeon 8500, 5 meter cable, and no powerstrip though when I get to it I will use it.

I have no problems, and picture looks great. Actually I have read that you can use longer cables but you have two options:

1.) buy a dvi repeater

2.) buy a $500 dvi-d cable that has better copper and more shielding.

My suggestions is keep it under 5 meters if you can.

Thanks

Eli
Eli what is the URL for the company who you bought your cable from? BTW a 3.5m or 4m cable would be fine but they all jump from 3 to 5!

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
Al;

I basically kept the [email protected] Hz.

The DVI connection actually does not give me a lot of choices. ATI control center offers only a [email protected]@60Hz with different color depths and a [email protected] with different color depths and refresh rates from 60 to 75Hz – that’s it. PJ aspect ratio is 16:9. A change to 4:3 does not offer me any more resolution choices (I am wondering how to get this 800x600).

I also played once with 59.94Hz and Powerstrip, but could not see any difference. So I left it there.

Pls. let me know what you find out.

Mmmh, interesting, a new firmware 3.4. I am tempted to upgrade my 3.3. However, last time when Infocus Tech Support tried to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.3 they fried my unit…

Is it worthwhile to upgrade? – they mention mainly only some tweaks to the menu.

________

Axel

·
Registered
625 Posts
I saw sparkles also in the beginning.....

from what I read ==

DVI cables need for all the lines to be EXACT lengths or it won't sync

SO....Extensions or Adapters and DIY is a NO-NO

My LP350 has the the P&D connector

this is DVI-D/DVI-A/& some extra lines for USB

I am currently using Ram Electronics

S4116.5305 DVI-D male to P&D male digital cable assembly, 5 meters long.

But I also got some cables from Cablewholesale & Pacific Cable

they were all the same (had same Mfg id #s)

When I tried to use a ATI7500aiw I saw the SPARKLES

but my current ATI7500 has NONE

Bob Williams (Infocus Engineer) says they use
10 meter DVI in the Lab - NO problem

Sure wish Bob would confide in us and tell where they Buy their DVI cables

cuz Infocus only sells 2 meter DVI with USB ????

and I can't find anywhere a Molex 10 meter P&D->DVI-D cable

My current system

Intel 1.6a/845 chipset > W2K/sp2 > PowerStrip(1024x768 59.94hz) >

WinDVD4(v83) w/Remote > CMI8738(v6.37) S/PDIF >

ati7500(v6071) >DVI(5m) > LP350 > DaLite 80x45 HCCV

·
Registered
803 Posts
I think LS110 has a special DVI receptacle, you should buy an M1 to dvi cable converter or a complete cable from Infocus. Please check this with Infocus because i'm recalling from memory.

bye

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
ATI Radeon 9000 pro

Infocus Cable from here and this adaptor plus a 10' DVI cable I forgot where....so a 20' run +/-

Display is a Infocus LS110 Toshiba clone (TDP-MT5)

Working resolutions are 848x480, 800x600, 1024x768, 1280x720 all with powerstrip and NO sparklies or synch issues. I use [email protected]*** 99.9% of the time since it's the native of the PJ with PJ in Native mode.

I tried the 5m P&D to DVI-D cable from RAM also w/o success...wouldn't synch. Anyone want the cable cheap?? LOL. Also tried the RAM cable with a DVI repeater (sent it back) and a short DVI cable without success.

Gefen offers some top notch cables (=$$$) but it's worth it. Wish I would have dicovered them from the get go instead of wasting time and money...but I'm up and running perfectly with what I have.

My advice...spend the bucks on good cables and save yourself headaches.

Bill

·
Registered
121 Posts
ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon AGP

6' StarTech DVI-D single link cable from Tech Depot (added two ferrite cores for the hell of it)

NEC PlasmaSync 42MP3

848x480 @60Hz (have tried other non-native resolutions briefly)

not using Powerstrip

Everything works beautifully, no problems encountered.

·
Registered
4,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Axel
Al;

I basically kept the [email protected] Hz.

The DVI connection actually does not give me a lot of choices. ATI control center offers only a [email protected]@60Hz with different color depths and a [email protected] with different color depths and refresh rates from 60 to 75Hz – that’s it. PJ aspect ratio is 16:9. A change to 4:3 does not offer me any more resolution choices (I am wondering how to get this 800x600).

I also played once with 59.94Hz and Powerstrip, but could not see any difference. So I left it there.

Pls. let me know what you find out.

Mmmh, interesting, a new firmware 3.4. I am tempted to upgrade my 3.3. However, last time when Infocus Tech Support tried to upgrade from 3.0 to 3.3 they fried my unit…

Is it worthwhile to upgrade? – they mention mainly only some tweaks to the menu.

________

Axel
To get to all possible choices of resolution you should first check that under the display properties, advanced settings, monitor tab check the monitor refresh rates that are available to you, also make sure to uncheck the box marked 'hide modes that this monitor cannot display', the LS110 can go as high as 85Hz. Also check under the adapter tab, at the bottom you will see a box marked 'list all modes' 848x480 as well as 800x600 should be there. If it is then it should be a simple matter to change the screen resolution under windows by moving the slider under the settings tab marked 'screen area'.

My projector was at revision level 2.5 to I had a long way to go, one jump mind you so the change was worth the risk. I had the tech on the phone as I was doing my software upgrade- good thing to otherwise I would not have pulled the power plug out so many times trying to get the computer to recognize the USB connected PJ. I can see how you could blow a main board with this methodology! ( It should be better then this!) In the end I did get the connection established and the upgrade proceeded smoothly after that. If I remember correctly the only 'listed' changes for you would be moving the on screen menu to the upper left corner and adding the option to make it translucent, two features I like but maybe not worth the risk :(

Still working on the DVI connection...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.