AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using room equalization such as the Bijou or that which is built into the 49tx? I ran a RTA in my room and was surprised at the variation from one speaker to the next. I have not heard much mention of anyone equalizing their speakers to gain the flat response so sought after in a speaker but forgotten about once their in the room, with some exception for the sub blending. Who is using something as complete as the audiocontrol bijou or something similar, to blend and match all their speakers? If you're doing it, let me know what you are using , the procedure you used, and the results. Something similar might be speaker and or room correction software from AV123.

drptpcpe

·
Premium Member
Sony A8H 65”, Denon AVR-X6700h, Sony UBP-X1100ES, ATV4k, TiVo Bolt 4k, Energy Veritas 2.3 system
439 Posts
I have the Pioneer Elite 49TX and use its MCACC to equalize the speakers. I'm using a nEnergy Veritas speaker setup with an Energy Microstar 12.1 sub. It took me a bit to get used to the change it made in in the sound, but I really like it -- much smoother, more integrated.

I'm not so much into the "tweaking" side of the hobby, so the idea of a semi-automatic balancing/eq/distance setting process REALLY appealed to me.

I was a little put off at the thought of not just sending the pure signal to the speakers, but the room interactions and different capabilities of the speakers really make this a worth-while processs. The 49TX runs a 9-band eq on each channel, so it is much more complete and thorough than I would ever have tried to do manually. I can't even imagine trying to balance each channel. My room has couches, tables, carpet and sometimes a cat :eek: , so there's lots to interact with the sound.

On occasion I'll run everything direct, but usually I'm running in Multi-in Adjusted mode, with the speakers eq'd to each other (but sometimes to match the fronts). For most 5.1 movies I run in THX Ultro2 mode, and for concert videos I run in the THX Ultra2 Musicmode. Very, very nice.

Larry

·
Premium Member
7,419 Posts
If I could, I'd use a loudness circuit.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by drptpcpe
Anyone using room equalization such as the Bijou or that which is built into the 49tx? I ran a RTA in my room and was surprised at the variation from one speaker to the next. I have not heard much mention of anyone equalizing their speakers to gain the flat response so sought after in a speaker but forgotten about once their in the room, with some exception for the sub blending. Who is using something as complete as the audiocontrol bijou or something similar, to blend and match all their speakers? If you're doing it, let me know what you are using , the procedure you used, and the results. Something similar might be speaker and or room correction software from AV123.

drptpcpe
Hi drptpcpe:

You're right there doesn't seem to be a lot of threads on this subject, but there's a few of us who are starting out along the path of room equalization that have recently started threads.

Here's a couple that may be of interest:

Calibrating my new theater

Averaging Listening Positions when doing multi-channel equalization

I've just started "putting my toe in these waters". I'm trying to more scientifically learn about my acoustic environment first by using Acoustisoft's ETF5 analysis software . Even with the tutorials provided, there's a steep learning curve for me before I can intelligently start using the sliders on my Bijou equalizer that was delivered just last night.

If you haven't already read it, you might be interested in the Home THX Audio System Room Equalization Manual .

There is an other high-end class of correction gear, and I'm not sure but the AV123 system may be in that class, that are digital approaches usually in the $10,000 range. AudioControl Diva, Tact, JBL Synthesis, Snell and SigTech.

Larry

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.