AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not a regular viewer of NYPD Blue, but I noticed it seemed to be on in an earlier time slot last night (9 PM, my 15 month old son ensures that shows which start at 10PM are simply out of the question if I want to get any sleep!) I was completely impressed with HD quality on this show which definitely surprised me after seeing some of the other ABC HD material this year. The broadcast was relatively trouble free, only one or two minor transmission blips (and one occurence of the local downconverter here in Boston going down during a commercial break, but I'd really call that an enhancement.) Even converted from 720p to 1080i by my TU-HDS20 it looked sharper on my Elite 510 than all of CBS HD programming this week so far. CSI seems to be the only really consistently good quality offering these days on CBS. TBA may still be pretty good but I haven't tuned in to that in some time. The remainder of the CBS shows and especially the 1/2 hour sitcoms on ABC have had a decidedly "soft" quality to them. But I was blown away by NYPD Blue last night, I thought it put the quality of JAG to shame. I sure hope this is a trend and not a fluke, but I'll defintely be tuned in next week to find out.

It never ceases to amaze me the differential which still exists in HD programming clarity and performance, even from show to show on the same networks.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
I too was impressed by NYPD Blue (I watched with a Unity Motion STB which upconverts the 720p to 1080i)...NYPD looks better this year than last year. I was also impressed with Dharma and Greg...that show has got some gorgeous sets which really show off the advanced color depth of the HD

format.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
What was fascinating was the difference in quality between NYPD Blue and the show that followed it, Philly. Both by the same executive producer. NYPD Blue was clean and mostly clear of artifacts. Philly was filled with dancing artifacts and too much grainyness, even more than I feel was intended.

Of course, the worst part of NYPD Blue here in South Florida was that our affiliate insists on interrupting the HD feed, switching to SD, then further shrinking it in order to put run-off election results underneath the picture! This despite my scathing letter about it last week for the same show! Why don't they do it during the commercials? Oh, they wouldn't get paid....well, someone should tell them that they wouldn't get paid if not for the content, either.

·
Registered
520 Posts
HiDef is such a Powerful thing for the Networks and they just dont understand it. Last Night I watched every minute of ABC's programming. Why? Because it was HiDef. Do the advertisers know this? If shows like The West Wing or ER were in HD, I might watch some NBC. NYPD Blue's PQ was incredible! I really enjoyed the extra detail. The Connie charactor is really easy on the eyes. Philly has a way to go as far as story telling IMO. But it sure looked good.

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
*applauds ABC*

you finally got something done right, ABC. many props to you. this is the first time 720p was worth watching. if the guardian and NYPD Blue did not clash i'd have to watch your network again.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eddiew
HiDef is such a Powerful thing for the Networks and they just dont understand it. Last Night I watched every minute of ABC's programming. Why? Because it was HiDef. Do the advertisers know this? If shows like The West Wing or ER were in HD, I might watch some NBC. NYPD Blue's PQ was incredible! I really enjoyed the extra detail. The Connie charactor is really easy on the eyes. Philly has a way to go as far as story telling IMO. But it sure looked good.
Excellent point, Eddie. I found myself watching shows I never have watched before simply because they were in HD even to the point where I'd miss some of the shows I watch weekly. I wonder if the networks realize this?

Rob

·
Registered
202 Posts
This is the first Tuesday I was home in 2 months and I was watching 24 and decided to check out NYPD Blue during the commercial. I was blown away, it was easily the best primetime series I had seen on ABC. I *almost* thought about not going back to 24. If this is what to expect during the second HD season of the other shows I will be quite happy. An HD PVR is almost necessary now. I also saw Darma and Greg and Spin City during commercials. SC seemed to be better PQ to me, but then again there was some hot Victoria's Secret model on at that time. :D

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Wooderson
This is the first Tuesday I was home in 2 months and I was watching 24 and decided to check out NYPD Blue during the commercial. I was blown away, it was easily the best primetime series I had seen on ABC. I *almost* thought about not going back to 24. If this is what to expect during the second HD season of the other shows I will be quite happy. An HD PVR is almost necessary now. I also saw Darma and Greg and Spin City during commercials. SC seemed to be better PQ to me, but then again there was some hot Victoria's Secret model on at that time. :D
i did the same thing with 24. i was really struggling to change back to 24 because the few minutes i watched NYPD Blue were amazing. zack morris is my hero too. i share your feelings about ABC's lineup next season. if they look anything like NYPD Blue we will definitely have a sweet selection of HD.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by eddiew
HiDef is such a Powerful thing for the Networks and they just dont understand it. Last Night I watched every minute of ABC's programming. Why? Because it was HiDef. Do the advertisers know this? If shows like The West Wing or ER were in HD, I might watch some NBC

well it looks like its only up to us as HD consumers to make them know.. maybe we just need to make up form letters to send off to network shows and advertisers etc..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.