AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On the surface, this baby looks like it can do it all with its own MPEG-2 decoder and 1080P on the fly. Anyone know about these people? They are based in California.

http://www.elf-inc.com/pdf/dvs500-430.PDF

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm hearing $3,000 with availability set forQ1 2004. This from the owner of the company.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
Hmmm... In wonder if iIt will deinterlace 1080i

It states :"DVS500 only provides IEEE 1394 interface to store and playback the Transport Stream data using IEE 1394 based digital storage devices such as D-VHS."

I wonder if it will re-encode incoming 1080i/720p and spit it out its 1394 port (their statement is worded strangely). That would be kinda neat :D

·
Registered
930 Posts
The DVS 500 is made by Macro Image Technology ( MIT ) in Korea, the same company that makes the MYHD PC tuner card. Iv'e had my eye on this for a while, just waiting for it to show up in the USA. Don't know how much, but I thought it was kind of cool when I first seen it on there site.

I think they must of had trouble finding distributors here because in a news release on there site it said they would be looking for distributors here back in 2001. It's called the MVS 500 on there site.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by yubyub
Hmmm... In wonder if iIt will deinterlace 1080i

It states :"DVS500 only provides IEEE 1394 interface to store and playback the Transport Stream data using IEE 1394 based digital storage devices such as D-VHS."

I wonder if it will re-encode incoming 1080i/720p and spit it out its 1394 port (their statement is worded strangely). That would be kinda neat :D
I doubt it. There is no HD MPEG2 encoder that mortals can afford. At least not yet.

It probably just spews the trasnport stream to the 1394 port.

The deinterlacing is a bit foggy on this unit. It looks like it WILL deinterlace 1080i but will it alos do pull down recovery on it?

Things that bug me about this:

No QAM demodulator support. So the tuner is waste for me. No OTA where I'm at, just cable.

No 1366x768 output. What's with this 1280x768 BS?

I want a single box that will take any signal I throw at it and process it down to 1366x768 and do a good job of it and I don't want to have to bend over for the man in order to get it.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I am also interested in this product. These are the questions sent and responses I received immediately from Seong Choi, VP of Business and Product development :

1) Does the unit deinterlace 1080i to 1080P ? (Yes it does)

2) If so, does it perform 3:2 pull down on 1080i (Yes it does)

3) Is it available now and what is price ? (Q1 of 2004, MSRP is $3000)

4) Buy from Dealer or direct from you? (You can buy direct from us only if there is no distributor or dealer in your area).

5) Is the DVS 500 one model and the 430 a different model? (DVS430 is scaler only and DVS500 is scaler + OTA HDTV tuner for free OTA HDTV content)

6) What is price of DVS430? (MSRP of DVS430 is $2800)

Another contender ? This looks promising though still kinda pricey for us cheapskates. Would love to try this with my BG1209 and since I'm also looking to buy an OTA HDTV tuner I guess its not a bad price. Actual sale price is usually discounted from MSRP in the real world though of course.

Rod

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.