AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On paper the new Zenith DTV-1080 HDTV Receiver looks like it is superior to the current HDTV receivers on the market. Among its upgraded features are:

*480i output via component, 480p, 720p and 1080i outputs

*both VGA and component ouputs

*2 ATSC (8VSB) tuners for both HDTV reception of OTA and cable channels

*a third generation OTA digital tuner for improved multipath rejection

*an enhanced line doubler and three line digital comb filter for improved NTSC picture quality

In light of these superior features, who thinks the Zenith receiver is worth waiting for? Also, does anyone know when this receiver will be available. I've heard anywhere from May to the end of June.

Thanks,

Andrew

·
Registered
279 Posts
I am waiting for the Zenith. I only hope its worth the wait. I see that Pioneer is also coming out with a STB that is quite similar to the Zenith. Randy

·
Registered
32 Posts
Boy, I sure hope that these two new boxes ... the Zenith and Pioneer ... fulfill a healthy portion of the paper expectations. I've gone through the new Panny and Sony units ending up with great disappointment and frustration. Luckily, I did not give up my trusty DTC-100. You can bet, however, that the "Toy Lover" in me will have me in line when the Zenith shows up!

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know if the Zenith DTV-1080 will output S-video, composite and component simultaneoulsy. It's hard to determine if a HDTV receiver has this ability without actually connecting the receiver. However, I'm very anxious to test out the other known upgraded features of this receiver. I wonder how much improvement the enhanced line doubler and third generation tuner will make in the performance of this receiver. I really hope the channel surfing speed and program guide will function faster than the current HDTV receivers. Again, does anyone know when this receiver is due out because my patience is running thin. I'm tired of buying and returning DTC-100's until this receiver comes out.

Thanks,

Andy

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you serious about the September release date? The twice.com website states that the Zenith receiver is due out in June. I don't know if I can wait that long.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I asked the same question directly to Zenith a while back and here is the reply I received:

Zenith plans to introduce as new HDTV Set-top box " DTV1080" by June 2001.

This box have 3 tuners for NTSC, ATSC and Directv reception. The box uses

latest state of the art tuner design and manufacturing methods. This box

unlike your current one have Component " Y, Pb, Pr " video signal outputs,

plus other standard ones like Composite video, Y/C and RGB.

Unit have a switchable output formatter and e.g. 480i /p, 720p and 1080i

outputs can be selected. The program guide " APG " is well integrated and

should work seemlessly with NTSC/ATSC and Directv.

Shipment end June, 2001

We are considering some combination set-top box products for next year

including a " PVR / Satellite " combination set-top box.

I can't wait to see this sucker.

Jim

------------------

Jim Sanchez - [email protected]

·
Registered
195 Posts
if a box like this has an internal scaler, is it possible to bypass it and use a superior external scaler, much as one would an external DAC?
http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

peteg

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Actually, one of the reasons I'm interested in this receiver is because it's supposed to have an enhanced line doubler and scaler. I know that much more pricey scalers may be superior at upconverting multiple sources. However, I'm looking for a cost-effective, yet quality solution to upconvert just satellite and cable programming. I'd rather not spend several thousand dollars on a scaler for my Mitsubishi WS-65857 RPTV. I've been disappointed with the upconverted picture quality of HDTV receivers like the DTC-100 and the Hughes HDTV receivers like the Mitsubishi HD-400 and Toshiba DST-3000 (they don't even have line doublers). On fast motion scenes on DIRECTV programming, I find the pixelated upconverted output of these receivers to be unacceptable. Also, I am very frustrated that these receivers don't even have 480i pass-thru via their component outputs, so we can take advantage of a component connection and seamlessly use the interanl line doublers on our HDTVs. Why should we have to go through the hassle of pressing a toggle button to watch HD and SD programming? I think Hughes was very cheap and short-sighted to not even incorparate atleast 480i pass-thru via component. You'd think that they think that all programming is in HDTV. Well, I hate to inform Hughes, but it's not!!! Unfortunately, the Panasonic TUHDS20, the only HDTV receiver which solves these probelms, is so slow it's basically inoperable. I still can't beleive the Panasonic doesn't even have an OTA signal meter. How are we supposed to point are antennaes? I got so many video dropouts when I used the Panasonic it drove my crazy. Who designs these receivers? I don't even want to mention the Sony with all of its bugs and sluggishness. I'm sorry about my rant, but it's very frustrating to have a great HDTV and not even one adequate HDTV receiver on the market to connect to my TV.

I think it's time us Americans support Zenith, an American company, that seems to have produced a great HDTV receiver. I'd actually be willing to pay more for the Zenith DTV-1080 with it's 480i component output, multiple display formats (480p, 720p, and 1080i), enhanced line doubler and third generation tuner. However, the $699 MSRP for the Zenith makes this receiver a steal compared to the current pricey, yet feature deprived receivers from Mitsubishi and Toshiba. It's about time an American electronics manufacturer beats out the foreign competition. I just hope Zenith releases this receiver shortly and Americans take notice of Zenith's renewed emphasis on quality and excellent design. By the way, I'm not affiliated with Zenith. I'm just frustrated with the current inadequate HDTV receivers, and hopeful that Zenith will deliver with the first great receiver.

Andy

·
Registered
732 Posts
The last time I spoke to Zenith, they told me mid June. And yes, it will output HD and Composite & S-Video at the same time. Plus it will feed Component out at 480i If you dont have a HD set yet.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
i also heard that the set will have 3 RF in jacks

1 for sat

1 for cable

1 for OTA

does anyone know if it will have RF out?

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yes the Zenith DTV-1080 Receiver does have a RF output. Zenith.com has a detailed listing of the specs of this receiver. If this receiver also simultaneously outputs HD and SD, it's to good to be true. How did you find out that it will output video from component, S-video and composite simulataneously?

I found out good news about the availability of the DTV-1080 from a St. Louis retailer. All Channel Satellite and TV told me that they will have the Zentih receiver on dispaly at their distributor next Monday. I've been on their case so much about this product that a saleman has agreed to take me to see the DTV-1080. He told me that a product is usually available for sale a couple of weeks after their distributor receives a display unit. Hopefully, this all points toward a late May or early June release of this product.

Andy

·
Registered
70 Posts
Andy,

If you do actually get a chance to see a working DTV-1080, please pay special attention to the speed of the APG and the units fan noise, and get back to us with a review. http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will definitely let you know about the speed of the APG and fan noise. Menu, guide and channel surfing speed along with fan noise are my biggest variables to watch out for with these new HDTV receivers. Other factors to consider in evaluating the Zenith receiver are brightness level via its VGA and component outputs, upconverted picture quality via its line doubler/scaler, cable picture quality with its 3-line digital comb filter, lack of dropouts on DIRECTV/OTA and lip sync. Are there any other factors that merit consideration with the Zenith receiver? Let's hope this receiver solves all the problems of its predecessors.

Andy

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Robert,

I completely understand your comments. On paper, the Pansonic TUHDS20 looked like a real winner with its multiple display formats and native mode. However, I know the Zenith will beat the Panasonic on atleast two fronts. The Zenith has a signal meter to optimally point your antennae. Most importantly, I know the Zenith has a third generation digital tuner that will improve OTA reception. Conversely, the specs on the Panasonic didn't indicate what generation tuner it uses. In fact, many people on this forum have said that the TUHDS20 uses a first generation tuner as it sat in a warehouse for over a year. With the poor OTA digital reception I experienced with this receiver (worse than the DTC-100) I beleive it's first generation.

We can only hope that the functionality and speed of the Zenith is much better than the competition like Panasonic and RCA. Unfortunately, you're right that we don't know if this receiver will be user friendly

(i.e. fast). We can only wait to test out its usability.

Andy

·
Registered
1,058 Posts
Quote:
On paper, the Pansonic TUHDS20 looked like a real winner with its multiple display formats and native mode
On paper, does the Zenith also have a native mode, so that if for example,

a 720p signal comes it, a 720p signal goes out, and likewise if a 480p

signal comes in, a 480p signal goes out?

1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.