AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading this and other forums for some time now.

I'm a happy owner of a Showstopper Replay since may of 2000,

Is anyone else?

All I seem to read is complaining.

Or am I miss reading the letters.

·
Registered
849 Posts
Bought one of the first units available. Couldn't live without it. I wake up in a cold sweat every night thinking that they terminated the service and I have to buy a tivo or something. Love it, love it, love it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
How 'bout who LOVES their replay?

I am looking into getting another, not just for additional functionality, but because it would be a hot swap unit. Not many things rank up that high for my to have a hot swap backup -- PC, Suburban, PalmPilot.....and now ReplayTV.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
You just have to realize that most people don't post unless they have a problem (one of the main reasons for the forum). I could post daily "I love my replay" messages, but there's not much point. Most of us LOVE our replay and would have to be dragged kicking and screaming from a burning building as we try and save the Replay. :)

Just remember, just because you don't hear it, doesn't mean it's not there. :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I loved my ss so much that when my ubid replay arrived, i couldn't bear to sell it off (I was going to turn a profit by hacking it and selling it). Less than 2 weeks after getting the one from ubid, I think it'd be hard to go back to only having one...

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
Been Replayin' since December 1999, and you'd have to shoot me to get your hands on either of my boxes!

·
Registered
75 Posts
You can have my ReplayTV when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Someone else recently used that same quote but it was geared towards the commercial skip feature.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've had my 3060 for 8 months and may get rid of it. Not because I don't like it tho. I love it. I'd only replace it with a 4080 which I haven't decided on getting yet...I'm waiting on reports here.

·
Registered
94 Posts
When I try to explain to my non-ReplayTV friends what having one is like, I tell them

"The difference between watching TV with the ReplayTV and using VCRs is like the difference between listening to music on CD vs cassette tapes. Would you go back to tapes? Neither would I, and equally so, I wouldn't go back to VCRs or regular "live" TV"

The "quality" is less of a measure than the features (I usually record on low-Q for space reasons). I used to record hours of TV on tape...and then have to do the linear shuffle to get to any show. If I wanted to watch the 3rd of 5 shows recorded, I'd really need to watch the 5th, then the 4th and then the 3rd just so I wouldn't have to spend umpteen minutes getting the tape ready to record something new. Random access to my shows, repeat record, finding preferred shows, actors, directors, etc....this is something I'd never give up.

No, the only reason I usually post is to see if someone can resolve a problem, but overall, I'm one of the primary endorsers for the RTV system. Truth be told, I didn't seek out this forum until I'd had my system for over a year...there was no need. What brought me here was not a problem, per se, but a desire to upgrade, and the "regular channels" were of no use. Now that I'm here, I wish I'd checked in earlier. Other people's problems are preventative maintenance for the rest of us.

So, short answer: I LOVE my ReplayTV, and I'd a)never go back and b)recommend it to my retired parents who can't stand anything "techie" because it's great, easy, a generation better than anything else, etc. etc. etc.

David

~Proud owner of 3 systems, despite the fact that one seems to have done the belly-up thing with stuttering ( see "stuttering to death" post )

·
Registered
62 Posts
I absolutely love mine. I've only had it for 2 weeks, but it really does change the way you watch TV. This is probably the best piece of technology I've ever purchased.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I got my first unit a little over a year ago. As soon as it was out of warranty I hacked it with a 100Gb drive. Got my 2nd a month ago. My wife thinks it is for her but it is really a backup for me.

I don't use any of my VCRs anymore. I have 4 of them. The best thing of all is I never watch live TV anymore - or see a commercial.

I just wish I had invented it.

Enjoy.

Greg

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
I fall into the catagory that I have a backup unit I drop into place whenever I have one of the main ones open juggling drives and such. Actually got the first one in mid 2000 about the time we heard that the 3060 was announced? My plan was in getting that first 2020 to do a 3060 soon with a friend and dd over the drive. As it turned out that wouldn't have worked for a 2020? but fortunately for me I think it was lost-boy was messing around on it and then the whole thing broke wide open just as I got my first 30 series (black) no "showstoppers" here. And now I'm reading that I am about one 10,000th (.0001%) of the replay installed base being that I'm in charge of 7 units. (well @ first I was thinking I was one in a thousand... well they treated me like it) But how bout 7 4000's all on a loop!! (Coast to coast) I think this company has always really listened in my opinion. (I love my one free Tivo too but that's another story... it's not because of that company)

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought one in spring 2000 and have saved countless hours of frustation looking for "the tape with show blah" on it. I added a second one recently. when price comes down 4000 is a good possibility. I think the free service, super support in this forum, haced drives and remote protocols, etc. make this the best A/V device I have ever owned. I have not watched live TV since I got it and hopefully never will again. You watch when you want and save lots of time

Our remote broke and we were without Replay for one month - using a VCR or God forbid wathcing live TV was enough for me lay in extra remotes and replays...

·
Registered
790 Posts
I believe this was my statement when acquiring a DirecTV version of the competition:

Quote:
My wife suggested that we *give* our 3060 to a relative if it works out better for us. I told her we're keeping it regardless. (... pry it from my cold, dead hands...)
In other words, if I was forced to choose between the two, TiVo would be the one on the auction block.

·
Registered
2,584 Posts
It's great great great. I never have any problem with it.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a 10yr old son, A 3yr old Cat, A 2yr old RTV2020, & A 1yr old RTV3020.

As you can tell, My ReplayTV's are just part of the family!:D

·
Registered
66 Posts
I hate ReplayTV...

I hate ReplayTV...

I hate ReplayTV...

I hate ReplayTV...

I hate ReplayTV...

I hate ReplayTV... for not coming out sooner, so that I did have to waste so much money on VCRs!!!!...

Not to discredit the VCR (it was and to some still are a very good piece of equipment), but it is time for digital recording...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I love my Replay!

However, I'm worried about the future. I'm not sold on the 4000 series, I've considered getting a Dish PVR 721 (because of the native stream, instead of compress/uncompress/compress/uncompress), and now with the DirecTV / DishNetwork merger, gad, will I have to get a DirecTI*O later on down the road?

:confused:

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Maybe this will be valuable. I rank my Replay and Showstopper well over my 501 and my Tivo for many reasons. They just do it better.

And ruffnerr, the difference between standalone/receiver and data-stream units is over-rated, in most cases. Both do an excellent job, and the second generation of encode/decode is really not noticeable. (I have noticed that the signals through the 501 are somewhat sharper than raw sat from my 4700, 4000, or 2000, however). I say check it out for yourself, first. Don't simply assume that not being a bit-bucket recorder will be a deal killer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.