AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who makes matched 6.1 speaker packages you can easily buy as a set, without a receiver? I've looked at all the HTiB setups, and none really excite me. There are TONS of higher end speaker only manufacturers out there. Surely some sell pre-made packages for $500 or less? The only one I've come across though is Yamaha NS-P436. Everyone else either leaves out the sub, the rear surround, or both! Surely there must be others? I live in an apartment, I'm not about buy a seperate fancy sub that I can't use to its full potential. If someone doesn't stop me I'm going to buy the NS-P436!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Try the Hsu ventriloquist (6.0 system) for $249 and add a sub from their site. Why do you need 6.1? Would 5.1 do, also?

If going for 5.1, try the Rocket Tykes from AV123 for $499.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Atlantic Technology

Roman

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I really appreciate all your suggestions, but as I said, it needs to be $500 or less for the kit. After blowing $3K on a plasma, I can't afford super fancy speakers. The Hsu kit redirects midrange to the center, which is a bit scary, so I'll think I'll pass. The only thing in my range besides Yamaha NS-P436 are the big Fluance speakers... but it's scary that they can sell such big speakers for like $250 for a set?!

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Infinity TSS-750 comes as a 5.1, but if you buy from Crutchfield, they give you a 6th speaker. Or you can buy that package cheaper elsewhere and find another 6th speaker (of the same make/model).

Woohoo, this is post 200 for me. :D

·
Registered
2,089 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The SCS160SI does look promising.... however, I hated the sound of the tiny JBL I heard in BestBuy, but that was part of the lower end SCS136SI. I'm almost fully convinced to buy the Yamaha NS-P436. If nothing else I'll love to look at and touch the Yamahas. Jet black smooth piano finish, wood construction, and very soft silk jet black grilles. Something tells me the JBLs will be plastic. I don't know about you, but I've NEVER heard a plastic speaker that sounded better than an equivalent wood one! Nevertheless, I'll have to research the SCS160SI. However, I see they are almost $200 more than the Yamaha, and the sats have grayish cabinets... hmmm. The dual 3" woofers sound promising though.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm sorry, but the Onkyo 6.1 speaker package sounds like junk to me. My 3" woofer JVC executive stereo speakers can totally demolish it, which is very sad given the Onkyo has DUAL 5" woofers. Granted, my microsystem cost as much as the whole 6.1 set.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Try the Athena Point 5. Decent sound and on sale for $499 at several B&M and online retailers...

John

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I can't seem to find the MKII Athena set anywhere! BestBuy has them, but what other online place does? The price search engines yield basically nothing.

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
Sorry. Looks like $499 sale is over. You could call (Audio Advisor, One Call, etc) and ask about it...

John

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by John Robert
Try the Athena Point 5. Decent sound and on sale for $499 at several B&M and online retailers...

John
Yep, they're good speakers, but they typically come as 5.1 and not 6.1. But Best Buy did have a package sale where they threw in the sixth speaker. We got them Athena satellites w/ 10" sub for my parents and they really like it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.