Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Manny Perry makes movies.

I imagine many of you have seen this anti-piracy message at the beginning of movies in the theater by now. Frankly it's starting to really annoy me. Especially when you consider that this message is going out to the people that just paid exorbitant sums of money for the privilege of sitting in the theater to see the movie.

I don't remember the last time I downloaded a movie to watch. It's just not practical for me anyway. The picture and sound quality is usually abysmal, and I can't watch it on my RPTV anyway because I don't have a HTPC system set up.

How many of you share my view that we shouldn't have to see this message when we're the paying customers.

Is there somewhere we can write to complain about this?

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
So your reason for not downloading movies for free rather than pay for them is that it isn't practical, not that it is wrong. Seems to me you are exactly the kind of person they are trying to reach.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Salmoneous
So your reason for not downloading movies for free rather than pay for them is that it isn't practical, not that it is wrong. Seems to me you are exactly the kind of person they are trying to reach.
Don't get me wrong, I don't think it's right to do so either, and that's part of the reason that I don't. I suppose in the context of this thread I should have made that my main argument against it.

I guess what I was trying to say by citing "impracticality" is that it's worth my money to see a movie in a cinema or buy it on DVD so that I don't have to have crappy quality picture and sound on a movie that I have to watch on a 19" display anyway. Of course it's also worth my money to support the film industry so we get more movies in the future.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Why don't they pay to put this message on websites where you download Kazaa, ********** files, or MIRC? Seems like that would be their target audience.

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
Thanks for the clarification and best of luck in your quest to get rid of the messages before movies. While you are at it, see you can do anything about the Fandango and other commercials they bombard us with.

·
Registered
606 Posts
I'm with you vmark--its totally obnoxious--so are the commercials--forcing us to watch that stuff when we paid for a movie just makes me all the less sympathetic towards their cause.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
I'm personally against all piracy as a software creator myself, so I see their point with these commercials, but I'm tired of watching them as well.

If I have to watch them, then the studios should also force them on the film's stars and their agents during their $20 million+ per film salary negotiations. Accepting just two million dollars less gives 75 people on the project close to an additional $27,000 more per picture. Hollywood is very similar to pro baseball in this respect. One-third to one-half of a movie's budget often goes to a single headliner on small and large budget films. I wonder if those working on the last two Matrix movies grumble more about illegal downloading, or Keanu Reeves making at least $60 million for being involved. The stars of films deserve to be richly compensated, but they should be ashamed of themselves.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Makes you wonder what's next. Are CD's going to have a track on them that you are forced to listen to that has a similar message? "Hey I hope you enjoy this album, just don't let anyone copy it, or borrow it, or even be in the same room with you when you listen to it, because then you are a criminal. Every song you pay for helps employ many people in L.A. like hoes, and drug dealers, and hanger on's. Don't forget about poolboys, personal chefs, and limo drivers. Without them, there would be no new music for you to spend $15 to get the one decent song on the CD that you will be sick of in six months anyway." :rolleyes: :D

·
Registered
587 Posts
Well, what could be next is to have an intermission during movies so they can show more commercials. :(

~ Jay

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Jw_Wood
Well, what could be next is to have an intermission during movies so they can show more commercials. :(

~ Jay
Actually, it'll probably be ads during the films. You'll be deep in the middle of an important climatic scene, when suddenly a craw comes across the bottom of the screen: "Thirsty? Delux247 says how about visiting the concession stand for a refreshing coke?" or "Please don't pirate this movie, otherwise set painter David Goldstein will be out of work!" Then an image of a black and white M&M appears in the lower corner of the film for about 15 minutes, with the tag underneath saying "Help the M&M's find their colors!"

This may sound funny, but trust me, if theaters could find a way to do it, they would.

·
Registered
9,866 Posts
*angry voice* ..That's DeLux son--Delux!" Seriously, I'd have to agree that it makes no sense to show the ads to the paying customer. Spread it all over in a big print campaign instead.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
Quote:
I wonder if those working on the last two Matrix movies grumble more about illegal downloading, or Keanu Reeves making at least $60 million for being involved.
Bad example there:

Quote:
28 MAY 2003

Man of the moment Keanu Reeves has shown his generosity by giving away £50 million of his earnings from the Matrix sequels. The 38-year-old decided to hand over the money to the unsung heroes of the sci-fi blockbusters - the costume and special effects teams.

Keanu is expected to make a total of £70 million from the films, thanks to a deal which guarantees him a 15 per cent profit-share, so he will still net around £20 million. Asked about his prodigious act of generosity, the actor said he already had enough cash. "Money is the last thing I think about. I could live on what I have already made for the next few centuries," he declared.

And it's not the first time the Beirut-born star has shown his jaw-dropping benevolence. While shooting the films in Australia he amazed the team of stuntmen by giving them each a £6,000 Harley Davidson motorcycle. And the actor, whose sister has leukaemia, has also channelled millions into cancer research.

His gift to the Matrix series' 29 behind-the-scenes whiz-kids will see each of them receiving £1.75 million.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Actually, I think that that Keanu story was a fabrication, based on earlier discussions of it. But, still, people have to understand the economics of movies. Yes the star gets a chunk o' change, but in many cases, that star(s) name being attached to the movie is the only reason it got made, because the backers believe (and it's probably true) that they'll make more profit in the end, because people go to see movies which star people that they know. There are obviously exceptions, but as a rule, it's clearly a proven method, or it would have been abandoned long ago.

Now, if at your job, there was a big new project, and the big cheese came to the meeting and said, we are only going to do this project if Bob here is the guy, behind the guy, behind the throne, and our backers say he's got to the be one or we get no money. Bob, they've offered you 10 million dollars.

Are you going to say no to the 10 million dollars, and not have the project, which perhaps you believe in quite a bit, not go forward and the people who would get new jobs from it not get jobs? It's not like if you don't get the 10 million that these people are suddenly going to get paid twice their normal wage.

What would you do? I doubt very seriously any of us in that situation would walk away, if was a project that we believed in. If you want to give away some of that money, that's fine, and I'm sure that many of the people who make that money do, despite fabricated stores like the above. But if you don't get it, the backers will take it, they aren't going to pay the grunt workers all that money.

Also, people like Keanu aren't people they are companies. I'm sure he has a good number of people working for him, and he has to carry their salaries whether he has a good year or a bad year. Does your company have a couple tens of millions in the bank of just in case money? Does that make them evil people? No, it makes them prudent people because they can hopefully ride out a small downturn without firing you.

·
Registered
334 Posts
Just out of curiosity, has anyone asked for a refund over the commercials issue? Years ago, my sister worked at a movie theater & one thing that I remember her telling me is that if you are dissatisfied with the movie in any way, you could ask for a full refund & 99% of the time you will get it. Has anyone tried this? I mean, if you started hitting theaters where it really hurt, they'd get the message wouldn't they? (Of course they'd probably just put disclaimers on the tickets once people started doing this to get out of a refund on that basis.) Just a thought.

FWIW, I don't see an end or even letting up on commercials & the anti-piracy campaign. The only thing that I believe will help is if you just decide not to go to the movies. I rarely go anymore - only 3 times in 2003, & that's up a bit from years past. The a/v equipment I have at home is just so good that it's not worth it to me to: *BEGIN RANT* go pay an immoral amount of money to watch 20 minutes of commercials & ads before the movie even begins, stand in a ridiculously long line for close to & sometimes over an hour, pay another immoral amount of money for a box of popcorn, sit in front of someone that is constantly (pick one) kicking my seat/explaing movie to friend/coughing/comforting crying baby/talking on cell phone, watch red dots in the movie, and probably other things that are only slightly less annoying. My home theater is infinitely more comfy. *END RANT*

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
What's funny is that the makers of these pleas have bamboozled below-the-line wage earners (set painters, stunt men), who are scarcely touched financially by downloading, to try to make us weep for the losses of the above-the-line millionaires.

Don't get me wrong, it's still a crime to steal from millionaires. But it's really a hoot to see that the studios, producers and stars, who are really the ones who lose some of their dollars every time a film is downloaded, have put one of the 'little people' up there on the screen to tug at our hearts with the proper sympathy on their behalf.

They know full well that we'd be throwing beer cans at the screen if Michael Eisner was the guy begging us to stop taking food out of the mouths of his children instead of some poor shlub wearing a painter's hat who gets paid per job and who would never be given back-end participation in the billions of dollars of profits if he held a gun to Eisner's head.

Yes, yes, at some distant point at a time far, far away, some below-the-line set painter might miss a half a day's work because Poindexter downloaded Matrix IX two months before he bought the $29 HD Special Edition DVD, but it'll have to cut deeper into one of those above-the-line $500,000 royalty checks before that happens.

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
I think that you are mistaken in your assessment. I think that that person might well be the first one affected, not the last. When things get tight at your company, who is the first to go? Is it the VP of Sales or the janitor and the receptionist?

·
Registered
19,586 Posts
Quote:
FWIW, I don't see an end or even letting up on commercials & the anti-piracy campaign. The only thing that I believe will help is if you just decide not to go to the movies.
Or, and I'm goin out on a limb here, if the next time one of your friends is stealing some content, tell them that it's not a good thing to do and that it is only a short term gain, for a long term loss. If there wasn't so much file sharing going on, there wouldn't be a need for a campaign against it.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
I think if a set needs to be painted at Warner's for the studio to make another movie, they're going to hire set painters. And before the assistant secretaries get laid off, the studio executives would have to be willing to compose a letter on their own.

As long as the first dollars lost are out of the above-the-line profit participants' pockets, I think it's only fair that those be the folks asking us to keep the dollars flowing into their pockets and not some guy who'll get his day's wage paid and forgotten long before the first pirate copy hits Roxas Boulevard in Manila.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
To respond more fully to what you're saying, I DO agree with you that top management often penalizes the rank and file before they take the slightest hit themselves. But that's exactly what I find obnoxious about this ad campaign.

They're dangling poor Manny out of the window to show us the hostage and threatening to fire his ass first if we dare to dip into the pockets of the top executives and stars. Yet, he's not anywhere close to the ones who really lose money when a film is pirated. He's already been paid every penny he'll ever get for working on that particular film.

On top of that, it's as though they're TELLING us they're going to have to respond just as classically irrational and punitive as any of the 'evil' corporations they depict in their movies if we don't continue to pay up fully.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.