AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a YAMAHA RX-V 861 amplifier that I have had for around 4 to 5 years and it has been a very good amp, esterday where I turned it on it shurt off in 3 to 5 sec. and I unpluged it and took the speaker wire off of it. This morning I hooked everything back up and when I turn the sound up to +10 it shurt off as soon as it hit +10.

What is wrong with it?

In case I need to buy a new amp. who make the best one on the market today?

How much would you put in the old one ( YAMAHA RX-V 861 )?

I brought it for around $350.00 or $400.00 not sure any more.

·
Registered
167 Posts
It's subjective, of course, but a few names to throw out there would be McIntosh, Krell, Classe. However, keep in mind that the "best" amplifiers are EXTREMELY expensive, starting at 10k and going up from there. The vast majority of people will be perfectly happy with an Emotiva amp, which are very good and an exceptional value.

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
That Yamaha is a Receiver not an Amplifier. Are you really looking for a replacement Receiver?

·
The Village Idiot
9,748 Posts
It is a receiver.

Try cutting your speaker wires back and re-strip them to expose new wire. Sometimes a bad wire surface can cause the amp/receiver to go into shutdown.

If that doesn't cure the problem try disconnecting all of your interconnects - including the speaker wires and turn the volume all the way up. If the receiver stays on shut it off and connect the speakers one at a time and re-test. Keep doing this until you find the culprit. It may be a speaker wire that has shorted out - it might be a speaker that is shorted internally. Or an RCA cable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.