AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
This one may not be the best but I am extremely happy with my new 50" DLP set from RCA. It's HD50LPW162 model with built-in HD tuner and HD2+ chip for only $2,999.

The picture quality is excellent.

·
Registered
879 Posts
IMHO it is JVC HD-ILA RPTV @ $5K .

Some might say Sony SXRD RPTV but IMHO it is a reversed enginnered LCOS and at $10K way to expensive .

·
Registered
16,177 Posts
REWJR, sorry, but LCOS is not DLP (look at the poster's original question).

I vote for Samsung. They have the most experience, are the leading sellers of DLP, and make great sets. RCA adds some nice features, such as the built-in tuner, but they also cut some corners (for example, their DLPs, at least last year's models, do not accept 720p signals, even though that is their native resolution, which means you cannot use an upscaling DVD player to output 720p to the set over DVI/HDMI).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by BillP
REWJR, sorry, but LCOS is not DLP (look at the poster's original question).

I vote for Samsung. They have the most experience, are the leading sellers of DLP, and make great sets. RCA adds some nice features, such as the built-in tuner, but they also cut some corners (for example, their DLPs, at least last year's models, do not accept 720p signals, even though that is their native resolution, which means you cannot use an upscaling DVD player to output 720p to the set over DVI/HDMI).

well the Samsungs will soon have built-in tuners, at least according to their website, early 05

·
Registered
487 Posts
I disagree on the Mitsubishis... they have all the bells and whistles you could ask for including HD2+ on _all_ DLP models, and while the screen glare is an admitted (mistake IMHO) issue, it depends on the viewing environment as well as the model. The 725/825 Diamond Series screen is a _BIG_ improvement (although not perfect) on the 525 screen.

I actually think Mits should drop the 525 series or drop the glossy screen and use one screen (more economical) throughout their product mix. It doesn't even make sense.

I'm going to buy a DLP set this fall and Samsung has done nothing to make me want their product although I know they have been the leader in the biz till now. If they'd have brought forward the Tautus models with HD2+ and maybe even a tuner/cable-card model, then I'd give them consideration, but right now I'm leaning towards Mits 725.

Mike

·
Registered
61 Posts
IMHO, if you're going mostly by picture quality and you can see a number of the more common DLPs side-by-side, the Mits will have a slightly (but still noticeably) better PQ overall. I have the 525 and yes, the glare can be bothersome in the daytime, but I do most of my tv watching at night. The shutters for the family room my wife and I had ordered prior to buying the set are coming Monday, so even the daytime viewing wil be very good. I love the built-in HD tuner so I can get those primetime HD shows free with just a Radio Shack indoor antenna.:) :) :)

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have a HLP6163W and have been very, very happy with it. I have been through 3 DVD players & 4 HD-STBs in the last two months, but the one constant in my system has been this TV. I do have to admit, when shopping the Mits came in a close second. I did like all the "bells and whistles that it had, but like others have mentioned, the reflections on the screen were just not acceptable... in any environment.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
The "glare screen" is not a part of the electronics of the Mits DLP!!

If you don't see rainbows and don't have any problems with removing the glare screen(if glare is an issue), the Mits is the best DLP, period. The Mits picture looks less digital (fake) than the other DLP's, more like CRT.

Samsung's are has been's, they are no longer the only girl in town.:D

I though put a happy face here so folks wouldn't get too serious.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Thanks for that obviously unbiased and respectful opinion. I guess we should all return our displays (non mits) to get ready for the mitsubishi take over. It seems certain that no other manufacturer will be able to compete with such a clearly superior product. Mitsubishi - today digital displays... tomorrow the world!

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by barth2k
does removing the glare screen soften the picture (reduce contrast)?
If that was true logic would tell us by adding a screen it would increase contrast. Removing the glare screen is to remove glare, period. Mits added the protective shield for asthetic purposes, some feel its makes the tv look more stylish.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Drod
Toshiba 52HMX84.

HD2+, Quiet, Great Picture, No Glare, Great Audio separation due to side speakers....need to say more!!!!
Very few HD inputs, doesn't work well with XBOX, "airplane wing" speakers that adds unneeded width to the TV, not the sharpest picture, too digital looking(artificial), no cablecard, no Firewire, no PC input, no separate setting memorized for each video input, pretty barebones. Its does have good picture but not great.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Quote:
Auditor 55

Guessing that you either own a Samsung or Mitsubishi.

You must have ESP!! I owned a Mits DLP, but regrettably I can't watch DLP's of any brand do to rainbows, however I always advise those who don't see rainbows that are looking to purchase a DLP to go Mits. I now have a good ole reliable, bulky, heavy,dim, convergence issued, burn-in worrying about Mits Diamond 55813 CRT RPTV. No rainbows, no god awful LCD screen door effect.

·
Coyote Waits
27,308 Posts
The question was who builds the best DLP. I don't think anyone has answered it yet. :)

The best two DLP sets are built by Sim2 and Loewe. :D

·
Registered
109 Posts
Drod, are u from canada? if yes where did u get ur HMX? been waiting for the hmx for quite some time now....getting impatient, might just go for the HM model

Quote:
Toshiba 52HMX84.

HD2+, Quiet, Great Picture, No Glare, Great Audio separation due to side speakers....need to say more!!!!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.