AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friends that have participated in my King of Subwoofers thread have my gears turning. I am preparing to start a DIY 18" Project. My hurdle seems to be amplification. The subs that I am considering seem to enjoy a couple thousand watts.


I love the O audio plate amps. 500 watts max. Dayton offers a 1000 at 4ohm.


I am in search of a subwoofer plate amp. Crossover included with the usual plate amp controls. The pre amp may be devoid of a crossover so the electronic variable crossover is a must. Power needs to start at ~1000 watts.


I would like to steer clear of the Pro Audio DJ amps if I can but I will do what I need to do.


Any suggestions or advice is appreciated as always.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by diamonddelts /forum/post/19644528


You would be better off using a two channel pro amp which you can bridge to easily get 1,000 watts or more for under $350. I'm not sure why you are so afraid of passive sub with external amp combos.

External may be OK for this application as long as the amp has an electronic variable crossover on board. The Dayton is a 1000 watt with all of the controls I need. Im hoping to find a more powerful one. I would like to have something similar to what is in the sunfire signature at 2700 watts w the controls.


Bridging usually cuts the amps damping factor in half. I would like to avoid this as well. That info came straight from Adcom regarding a GFA555 that I was going to use to drive subs at one point.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,952 Posts
If you believe you can actually hear the difference when damping drops from like 400 to 200, you are imagining things. Besides that, how do you know that the damping in a pro amp isn't several times higher than a particular plate amp to begin with? Some of the best DIY setips out there are using pro amps for power.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/19645025


If you believe you can actually hear the difference when damping drops from like 400 to 200, you are imagining things. Besides that, how do you know that the damping in a pro amp isn't several times higher than a particular plate amp to begin with? Some of the best DIY setips out there are using pro amps for power.


Blind ear test or not, with a big 18 I would probably play it safe and go for a higher damping factor if possible.


I am not putting down pro amps. I know they put out a lot of power for the price. Im just trying to find an amplifier that has a variable electronic crossover inside. Im hoping someone will know of a manufacturer that makes a plate or ext. of about 2kw with the crossover built in.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,858 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ich toxisch /forum/post/19645065


Blind ear test or not, with a big 18 I would probably play it safe and go for a higher damping factor if possible.


I am not putting down pro amps. I know they put out a lot of power for the price. Im just trying to find an amplifier that has a variable electronic crossover inside. Im hoping someone will know of a manufacturer that makes a plate or ext. of about 2kw with the crossover built in.

Does this fit the bill?

http://www.behringer.com/EN/Products/NU6000DSP.aspx
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ich toxisch /forum/post/19645065


Blind ear test or not, with a big 18 I would probably play it safe and go for a higher damping factor if possible.


I am not putting down pro amps. I know they put out a lot of power for the price. Im just trying to find an amplifier that has a variable electronic crossover inside. Im hoping someone will know of a manufacturer that makes a plate or ext. of about 2kw with the crossover built in.

They do not exist for end customers, you have to buy them through dealers that only sell to subwoofer companies. I have a 2Kw plate amp through a subwofer designer but there was no crossover built in. There is really no need for one if we have other EQing options (Ie. MiniDSP)


The largest plate amp that I know of (I also own it) is the LT/1300 from elemental designs.


Also the pro amps are just fine being bridged some of the most expensive Passive designs I have seen, measured, listened to have been run by bridged amps. The DIY forum has a pretty good list of measured amps (bridged and two channel).


Dampening factor is one of those audiophile myths when it comes to subs. Its a complete waste of time to worry about it. Its up there with thinking 12" woofers are faster/better then 18" woofers.


Like Mojomike said, there is no audiable difference.


If you want more info on the high powered plate amps PM Nathan from funky waves or Mark Seaton.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojomike /forum/post/19646139


I think that's now been bumped up to 4000 watts.

Yep, I think I know the plate amp they are all getting



The one I have is said to have 4000Watt peaks
I have to compare it against my pro audio amps soon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,952 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/19646153


Yep, I think I know the plate amp they are all getting



The one I have is said to have 4000Watt peaks
I have to compare it against my pro audio amps soon.

Actually according to Jeff it's "4000 watt RMS, 7200 watt burst". Seems almost impossible on 120 volt house circuit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
26,476 Posts
Wow, that is a serious amp!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,755 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ich toxisch /forum/post/19644374


My friends that have participated in my King of Subwoofers thread have my gears turning. I am preparing to start a DIY 18" Project...

Uh, so why did you start this thread in this forum? I see you are new to AVS so I think I should point out that this forum is for the commercially made subwoofer, whereas there is a forum specifically for the DIYers. I suggest you'd be better off posting over there instead of pulling all the DIYers to this forum. You may even find threads there that will be of interest to you and very helpful. You can even get one of the mods to move this thread over there... it would really make more sense.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ich toxisch /forum/post/19644615


External may be OK for this application as long as the amp has an electronic variable crossover on board. The Dayton is a 1000 watt with all of the controls I need. Im hoping to find a more powerful one. I would like to have something similar to what is in the sunfire signature at 2700 watts w the controls.


Bridging usually cuts the amps damping factor in half. I would like to avoid this as well. That info came straight from Adcom regarding a GFA555 that I was going to use to drive subs at one point.

I hope you understand that in its first professional test, more than 20 years ago, the Carver (Sunfire) 2,700 watt amp could not actually deliver 2,700 watts. No more than current Sunfire Signature amps can deliver 400 watts X 7 simultaneously.


I don't think Bob Carver even mentions using a 20 amp circuit for his subwoofers.


Have you considered whether your home wiring is up to the task of delivering >2,000 watts? You might need a voltage stabilized 20 AMP line for such an amp. That is probably about $2K worth of electricians labor and parts.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
The elemental designs 1300 may be the right thing for this project.


My other issue with pro amps is xlr. Are you all using adaptors to get around this?


And what devices are you using to get around the lack of a crossover?


If threre are external or self contained variable crossovers available that runon 120v I would like to hear bout them too.


I once used a 12v crossover, mated to a 120/12 power supply. It worked but there were cables everywhere. It was a pain in the a$$.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8,479 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ich toxisch /forum/post/19647569

The elemental designs 1300 may be the right thing for this project.


My other issue with pro amps is xlr. Are you all using adaptors to get around this?


And what devices are you using to get around the lack of a crossover?


If threre are external or self contained variable crossovers available that runon 120v I would like to hear bout them too.


I once used a 12v crossover, mated to a 120/12 power supply. It worked but there were cables everywhere. It was a pain in the a$$.

Luckily the Ed 1300 LT amp was revised for a soft turn-on, as some people were tripping the breaker every time they turned on the 1300 watt amp. Also, there are folks who have experience with the LT 1300 who say it does not deliver 1300 watts.


I believe penngray is one of those people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,275 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/19647605


Luckily the Ed 1300 LT amp was revised for a soft turn-on, as some people were tripping the breaker every time they turned on the 1300 watt amp. Also, there are folks who have experience with the LT 1300 who say it does not deliver 1300 watts.


I believe penngray is one of those people.

Actually, it does deliver the amp spec of clean 1300wrms .
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top