AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is strictly from a PR standpoint, considering the world outside of AVS Forum.

The Bluray crew must have really looked forward to the PS3 launch followed quickly by their announcement fest at CES as a real PR catalyst and media coverage driver. With smart marketing they could create a media firestorm and the kind of coverage you just can't buy.

In actuality, a lot of the buzz the PS3 generated in week one was negative-chaotic distribution, violence, ebay extortion. With week two comes the Wii and its friendly, orderly launch and its emphasis on family and fun. Lots more consoles than the PS3 and a lot more demand too. Everybody wants (and can afford) a Wii. The buzz hasn't stopped for the Wii since it launched, the PS3, well..

January brings the CES, lots of titles to announce, game over to pronounce, and then boom, Apple announces the iphone at the same time. Headlines and stories all across the country are filled with Steve Jobs quotes, not Bob Chapek's.

Now it's over. The Wii and the iPhone are getting the kind of media coverage you just can't buy.

The PS3 and Bluray, well, they will have to settle for the kind you can buy.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts
I can't believe how boring the PS3 really is. One standount game. Lame online support and expensive pricing if you're main focus is gaming. I see why sales are dropping off.

I hadn't planned on looking at the Wii but after seeing it go gangbusters I'm going to take another look at it and it just may bump the PS3 out of my living room.

The iPhone, if it does what it claims, is going to be mine. Expensive or not.

·
Banned
79 Posts
despite all this and not even shipping in europe, ps3 has 2 million units out in the world in less than 2 months.

the tsunami might not be as big as it was expected to be, but its still going to flatten HDDVD-town. Hold your breath!

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmurchison /forum/post/0

I can't believe how boring the PS3 really is. One standount game. Lame online support and expensive pricing if you're main focus is gaming. I see why sales are dropping off.

I hadn't planned on looking at the Wii but after seeing it go gangbusters I'm going to take another look at it and it just may bump the PS3 out of my living room.

The PS3 is a fine machine. Whether you feel it is expensive or not is an entirely different matter. And you bought the PS3 even though you hate all things Blu-ray and there's only one "standout game" in your opinion? It sounds like you bought it just to bash it. Okay anyway, I don't know how anyone is supposed to take you serious.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg /forum/post/0

The PS3 is a fine machine. Whether you feel it is expensive or not is an entirely different matter. And you bought the PS3 even though you hate all things Blu-ray and there's only one "standout game" in your opinion? It sounds like you bought it just to bash it. Okay anyway, I don't know how anyone is supposed to take you serious.

Is it at all possible or allowed for someone to have bought the PS3 as their way to cover all bases in this stoopid format war, and yet be disappointed with it? Or does it make one an outlaw and a HD-DVD zealot who just blew $$$ just to get some bashing/talking points on an internet forum?

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by raaj /forum/post/0

Is it at all possible or allowed for someone to have bought the PS3 as their way to cover all bases in this stoopid format war, and yet be disappointed with it? Or does it make one an outlaw and a HD-DVD zealot who just blew $$$ just to get some bashing/talking points on an internet forum?

Yes it's possible but in this case I stand by my previous comment. This guy is an HD DVD zealot who knows no bounds.

·
Banned
13,980 Posts
PS3 isn't boring for me, sure the launch line up isn't deep, true of the last few console launches (xbox360, Wii, Xbox, cube) as well but there are a few games out that are quite fun and some kick arse demos as well. February and March is looking to have quite a few games that I want (If EBgames dates are accurate). That said, I admit I have used my PS3 heavily for some fantastic blu-ray movies. I'm thoroughly hooked, consider me trojan horsed and thoroughly loving it

I know this is off topic, but my favorite quote about the PS3 is from Raaj (somebody his has always been pretty ant-PS3 pro xbox360)

Quote:

The screen you have posted does look like the target render, but the final version will never approach the target render.....

This was in response to a gamplay screen shot, not the target render

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...93#post9259993

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyg /forum/post/0

Chad

I didn't buy the PS3. I did look at it in earnest though. However when compared to the Xbox 360 which offers better online support and games like Halo, GoW and soon Lost Planet and Alan Wake I'm just more impressed with the direction of the Xbox than I am with the PS3. It doesn't hurt that previously exclusive games like Virtua Fighter are coming to the Xbox either. I don't bash the actual platform but many EVERY Sony product is hyped beyond what Sony can deliver and that grows tiring. Frankly I'm happy for people that have taken advantage of the PS3. I think Blu-ray is a fine format and I've never stated I wouldn't own it but right now the Xbox with a HD DVD add on is a better solution for my own needs. Had I stated that Blu-ray/PS3 was trash I'd fully expect people to fail to take me seriously

I mean I could make silly statements like Dixie has I know it'd ring hollow. People are happy with both formats. Really what we're arguing about is tantamount to splitting hairs. The PS3 launch could have been better. Sony can be excused for not having enough players but to launch with basically one hot game RoM is a bit weak.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts

Quote:

If you don't adore the PS3 you bought, you are an apostate.

If you haven't bought one at all, you are a heretic.

I'd give a Blu-ray standalone player for $299.99 a good hard look. There are some nice titles for it.

·
Registered
3,020 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by briankmonkey /forum/post/0

PS3 isn't boring for me, sure the launch line up isn't deep, true of the last few console launches (xbox360, Wii, Xbox, cube) as well but there are a few games out that are quite fun and some kick arse demos as well. February and March is looking to have quite a few games that I want (If EBgames dates are accurate). That said, I admit I have used my PS3 heavily for some fantastic blu-ray movies. I'm thoroughly hooked, consider me trojan horsed and thoroughly loving it

I know this is off topic, but my favorite quote about the PS3 is from Raaj (somebody his has always been pretty ant-PS3 pro xbox360)

This was in response to a gamplay screen shot, not the target render

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...93#post9259993

Oyyy!! Way off the target [topic] here monkeyman !! I have to defend myself against your allegations, so I'll say this. I have a tough love relationship with Sony. I do own a couple products of theirs, but I don't necessarily approve of all their deeds.

And yes, I still stand by my comments regarding the final MotorStorm gameplay not approaching the ridiculous realism of the target render of E3 '05. In fact, nothing will this generation - on either platforms. Having said that, I know what I am buying next for my PS3 on 02/27.
Anybody claiming that the PS3 interface is anywhere as refined as the Xbox 360's [offline and online] must be kidding. The 360 should have also included HDMI from get go, and it was stoopid in my opinion not to have done so.

Praise where it's due. Just keep it real.

·
Banned
996 Posts

Quote:

Yeah, sure its possible and welcome.

But, he says/implies he bought it for gaming (witness the "I will replace it with a Wii in my living room"). I'd like to see the Wii cover his high-def bases.

Imo, he prob bought it for movies and not for gaming, but is complaining about the gaming anyways.

As you said, the PS3 is a great cover for him in this war. Note that the PS3, in covering his high def bases, is a great deal for him and thus, why the disappointment? If he thinks he overpaid for the PS3 as a BD player, then well.. I dont know what to say really.

If he bought it as a gamer only, then he is not covering any bases at all (as he was being defended with). Then, he can complain away. I respect that.

If he bought it for both, well, I'd say the PS3 is the deal of the decade

·
Registered
93 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maltby /forum/post/0

This is strictly from a PR standpoint, considering the world outside of AVS Forum.

The Bluray crew must have really looked forward to the PS3 launch followed quickly by their announcement fest at CES as a real PR catalyst and media coverage driver. With smart marketing they could create a media firestorm and the kind of coverage you just can't buy.

In actuality, a lot of the buzz the PS3 generated in week one was negative-chaotic distribution, violence, ebay extortion. With week two comes the Wii and its friendly, orderly launch and its emphasis on family and fun. Lots more consoles than the PS3 and a lot more demand too. Everybody wants (and can afford) a Wii. The buzz hasn't stopped for the Wii since it launched, the PS3, well..

January brings the CES, lots of titles to announce, game over to pronounce, and then boom, Apple announces the iphone at the same time. Headlines and stories all across the country are filled with Steve Jobs quotes, not Bob Chapek's.

Now it's over. The Wii and the iPhone are getting the kind of media coverage you just can't buy.

The PS3 and Bluray, well, they will have to settle for the kind you can buy.

Go ask anyone on the streets if they have heard of the PS3. Go ask if they have heard of the iPhone. I already know the answers, maybe you should find out what they are. You bought into the wrong format and feel like lashing out.

My advice is to admit it to yourself and move on with your life.

·
Registered
3,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by purpleosmosis /forum/post/0

Go ask anyone on the streets if they have heard of the PS3. Go ask if they have heard of the iPhone. I already know the answers, maybe you should find out what they are. You bought into the wrong format and feel like lashing out.

My advice is to admit it to yourself and move on with your life.

Dude it's not that serious. He gave his opinion and you may disagree but I hardly think he need to be admitted for psych help.

I think the PS3 launched rather lamely as well. That doesn't mean it's not a fine BD player but it's not living up to it's power and potential as a gaming system. Hopefully Sony can right the ship.

Please don't have me admitted

·
Registered
491 Posts

Quote:

Chad

I didn't buy the PS3.

I mean I could make silly statements like Dixie has I know it'd ring hollow. People are happy with both formats. Really what we're arguing about is tantamount to splitting hairs. The PS3 launch could have been better. Sony can be excused for not having enough players but to launch with basically one hot game RoM is a bit weak.

What a hypocrite. First you say you have a ps3 and now you say you don't. You have weak arguements, really. Did you read what you wrote before you posted it? Your a 360 fanboy, so tell me, what great games did the 360 launch with? How many great games are available after a year? I don't own a 360 nor would I stoop down to the level of someone here and pretend I own a system I don't. The only game I would purchase for the 360 is Gears of War. One game for a system thats been out over a year is not worth it to me, hence why I do not own a 360.

·
Registered
722 Posts
I bought the PS3 for Blu Ray and am very happy that I did. It is an increadible machine for the price. I have had an Xbox 360 and the PS3 games look much better with much less aliasing and almost none at 1080p.

I have an HDDVD A1 also and I will replace that unit with another HDDVD player when they can come close to the PS3 in terms of fast loading and remote functions. After using the A1 and the PS3 I can say that the PS3 is as fast as any normal dvd player and has instant remote actions. The picture is great also and comes very close to the best of HDDVD.

So for 500 bucks I have an advanced game machine and a great movie machine. The A1 cost me 500 bucks also and for that I have a slow, non responsive, sensitive boat anchor that skips if the disk has one speck of dust on it.

I can tell you how great a player the PS3 is but unless you try it yourself you will not know how good it feels to put in an HD movie and have it start right up and respond to your remote instantly and not skip or stutter or crash the player.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts

Quote:

Ditto this... man talk about cool.

·
Registered
9,494 Posts
Hey,

I have no desire for a combo phone and tv but I guess that's just me. I happen to pretty much hate cell phones and I built a custom Home theater with widescreen projection and surround sound so,.. I would rather rent a blu ray to watch with my PS3 then watch video on an ipod,.. go figure.

-Brian

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Clark /forum/post/0

NYG, I've noticed this too.

you must have whiplash from the flipflopping you have done on this format war.

Don't ever run for office!

Don't forget: HD-DVD - The Little Format That Couldn't!

I think that one was somewhere between "Format-Free" and "Into The Blu"

I guess next will be something like, "TotalHD Disc - A World of Purple"

1 - 20 of 28 Posts