AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some please explain to me why i want digital sound to my TV. I'm sure almost every person here has a home theater system. I want my sound to go to my receiver via optical cable so i can get 5.1

Maybe i don't have all the facts, please fill me in.

·
Registered
13,160 Posts
The idea is HDMI from DVD player->receiver->TV using one HDMI cable on each connection. Right now, it's useless and costs you extra to get an HDMI->DVI converter. Only time will tell.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I believe the current HDMI solutions out there do not carry audio signals, and even when/if they do I highly doubt it will replace Optical or Digital Coax connections. It will simply be an extra feature I suppose.

Also if you had a receiver with HDMI switching then it wouldnt be much of an issue at all.

·
Premium Member
11,872 Posts
HDMI in its present form will pass stereo, DD and DTS audio without any problems. In the future you will be able to connect multiple pieces of equipment using one connector. It will also allow for one connection with DVD-A and SA-CD.

I realize there is already one connection for audio, but there hasn't been one that will pass both audio and video and allow for high resolution formats. It is kind of apples and oranges.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Kris Deering
I realize there is already one connection for audio, but there hasn't been one that will pass both audio and video and allow for high resolution formats. It is kind of apples and oranges.
I guess the basic question still is - why would anyone want a single non-networkable non-recordable connection for audio and video? You nornmally want your video to go to your display and your audio to your pre/pro - receiver. Firewire is a good example of a single (worthwhile) connection that provides both audio and video because it is networkable and recordable (subjet to certain restrictions). I can't think of a single situation where the HDMI (audio and video) is superior to the DVI + SPDIF comb or firewire. I must be missing something.

Jay

·
Registered
18,844 Posts
Quote:
I guess the basic question still is - why would anyone want a single non-networkable non-recordable connection for audio and video?
Convinience! 1 wire for everything. Sounds good enough for me. No more component video cable, no more 5.1 (or more) discrete inputs. One switcher for everything!

Firewire will be just fine for recording, otherwise the 1-wire solution is long in coming.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
Convinience! 1 wire for everything. .... One switcher for everything!
Where is this 1 wire going to go on the output side of the switcher (which doesn't exists btw)? The display or your audio equipment? I will concede that that IF there were available mid to high end receivers with multiple (3 or more) HDMI inputs, then it would be slightly advantagous to have a single HDMI cable vs. 1 firewire (for audio) and 1 DVI for video. Firewire is starting to become a standard for hi-res multi-channel audio (DVD-A, SACD). I would hate to see HDMI adoption slow down the adoption a firewire for audio. It eliminates the need for switching.

Jay

·
Registered
2,118 Posts
Jay:

HDMI is preferred by Hollywood because of its restrictive copy protection capabilities. If we want HD-DVD some day, it will be available through HDMI. This is how I understand the issue - it is political, not really only technical.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Currently, SACD and DVD-audio can only connect to the receiver via analog outputs. the sonic performance would greatly improve when HDMI is approved and finally implemented. The only reason that this can happen is that HDMI has copyright protection which will not allow recorders to be hooked up through HDMI. Digital coax and optical do not have any copyright protection.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by mnilan
Jay:

HDMI is preferred by Hollywood because of its restrictive copy protection capabilities. If we want HD-DVD some day, it will be available through HDMI. This is how I understand the issue - it is political, not really only technical.
My understanding is that DVI/HDCP provides copy protection already. You do not need HDMI for that.

Jay

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pio
Currently, SACD and DVD-audio can only connect to the receiver via analog outputs. the sonic performance would greatly improve when HDMI is approved and finally implemented. The only reason that this can happen is that HDMI has copyright protection which will not allow recorders to be hooked up through HDMI. Digital coax and optical do not have any copyright protection.
This is not true. There are several implementations using firewire for SACD and DVD-audio. This has been adopted as a standard and there will (hopefully) be widespread use of this in the comming years. I believe that the firewire connection is copy protected also.

Jay

·
Registered
574 Posts

Originally posted by jerndl

I guess the basic question still is - why would anyone want a single non-networkable non-recordable connection for audio and video? You nornmally want your video to go to your display and your audio to your pre/pro - receiver.

I run Elite DV59AVi HDMI-out to Pioneer 5040HD HDMI-in. The "bonus" for me is that I can choose to listen to DVD sound through the Pioneer stereo speakers (which I've upgraded to JBL Control 1's).

And why, you may ask, is that a good thing. Because my wife doesn't like surround sound and subwoofers and rear channel efx. So sometimes (foreign films and quiet films) the audio component of HDMI is a blessing.

Of course, I listen to T3 through my 5.1 receiver.

jh

·
Registered
93 Posts
The paranoid Hollywood industry would never allow the general public to have complete control over creating perfect copies of the original source. Someone will always end up putting it on the internet or making copies for sale. There is already widespread abuse of this in the music industry. If movies could be downloaded on the internet as exact copies of dvds that you would otherwise have to buy in the store, then no one would buy another $20 dvd. There are many dvd recorders being sold now, but I have yet to see one that could reproduce the exact same quality as the original. The HDMI cable is used twice, once to the receiver and then to the display, just because it is easier to deal with a single type of copyright protected cable.

·
Banned
761 Posts
5 GBs of bandwidth is why HDMI is good. It's got plently of room for expansion, one cable, intelligent control of hdmi devices, up to 15 meters cable length, the bandwidth for 1080P video streams, and up to 192khz sampling rates and room for 8 channels of discrete audio. When the standards are finished this spring expect to see HDMI switching in receivers that supports 1080P HD video streams plus DD/DTS multichannel sound.

·
Registered
193 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for proving my point that having HDMI is pretty useless.

5 gig band with that can carry a 1080p signal? For what? Why do i want that when my TV and everyone elses an only produce 1080i? Ya, maybe in the future you'll have 1080p but not in the near future. By the time i buy a new TV the connection probably won't even be HDMI it'll be something better.

I will NOT buy a DVD player with HDMI because then i have buy a converter cable for what, $100 or more. Pssyah righyeeet! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Audio aside, the small size of the HDMI connector is a significant advantage over DVI whan it comes time to route cables thru cabinets, walls, etc. And cheap cables are becoming available, soon enough they'll be commonplace.

·
Banned
761 Posts
there are several displays on the market now that display 1080P, the lcos, and TI's xHD3 DLP that Samsung uses. it's not a must have now by any means, but expect all new devices to make use of hdmi by the first quarter of 2005. the cable costs $50 now to go hdmi to dvi, and you can expect the $20 ratshack ones by the end of the year.

·
Registered
18,844 Posts
HDMI is one of the reasons I've decided to hold off a bit on my RPTV purchase. The next gen models should all have HDMI.

The amount of cables needed to listen to SACD and DVD-A has been a real detriment to both formats. I'll be glad to see the 6-discrete input solution go away.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by DaveFi
The amount of cables needed to listen to SACD and DVD-A has been a real detriment to both formats. I'll be glad to see the 6-discrete input solution go away.
I agree that 6 analog cables is a pain. Given a choice between HDMI and the 6 cables I would choose HDMI, but firewire is a viable option as well.

Jay

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.